Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Homies Are you Worried of Your Children Might Not Learn Spanish?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Homies Are you Worried of Your Children Might Not Learn Spanish?

Now I was born in Mexico needless to say very fluent in Spanish its my first language and my main language, but my girl is Mexican American and she speaks Spanish when she has to but its not her go to language and I just had a son and I realized that when I speak to my girl in spanish she answers in English.

Now I want my son to be fluent in both and I thought he would but now after seeing my cousin who is basically the same setup as I am but his kids are older his kids dont speak spanish but they understand it and understand every word they just dont speak it (odd).

I want my son to learn Spanish aswell and be fluent and grow up in the culture So I plan to speak to him alot in spanish and teach him and all that by my drunken ways!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao

I dont know seems like more and more are losing teh ability to speak spanish, My son will be I dont know first/second generation (how will you label that, my girl is born in the U.S., i am not) but I notice alot of second generation dont even understand spanish.

what is yall opinions and thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by .!WAR MIKEY!.; 09-18-2015, 10:50 PM.

Since you say your girl responds in english, make sure you start speaking to your child in spanish so that he gets both. At very young ages kids absorb stuff way better than an adult does. My brother's daughter is 4(really smart girl) and she understands spanish a bit but doesn't speak it for ****, even though my brother did want her to speak it.

When/if I have kids I would like them to not only understand it but at least speak it decently. Being fluent is a lot to ask for for someone born here in this generation. I feel like I'm fluent in both since spanish is my first language and I've strengthened it by joining spanish soccer forums and reading articles and stuff. Plus I always google stuff when in doubt(spanish and english).

Comment

Originally posted by Sake1 View Post
      Since you say your girl responds in english, make sure you start speaking to your child in spanish so that he gets both. At very young ages kids absorb stuff way better than an adult does. My brother's daughter is 4(really smart girl) and she understands spanish a bit but doesn't speak it for ****, even though my brother did want her to speak it.

When/if I have kids I would like them to not only understand it but at least speak it decently. Being fluent is a lot to ask for for someone born here in this generation. I feel like I'm fluent in both since spanish is my first language and I've strengthened it by joining spanish soccer forums and reading articles and stuff. Plus I always google stuff when in doubt(spanish and english).
      I hear you, Im gonna speak spanish non stop I already do pretty much but now Im gonna do it with a purpose lol, its weird cause My sister is a single mother and she speaks this spanglish all day and her children (my nephew and nieces) speak spanish perfectly. One thing I notice is that when she gets mad she only speaks spanish to them so that might be the key lol cause they know its serious time lol.

I want my kid to be fluent and be in the culture like I am, I want him to be able to chill in any Mexican/spanish event and be comfortable and thrive. I met these mexicans in quinceanera, wedding etc and they cant speak spanish and feel out of place I never want my son to feel that cause we are a very deep family and 100% Spanish speaking.

Comment

Meh, they'll learn it in High School.

Comment

Originally posted by UTEP View Post
          Meh, they'll learn it in High School.
          If ya'll got kids it's a must they pick up the español.........a MUST!

Comment

Grew up not speaking it. I've done just fine for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR MARTINEZ! View Post

Now I was born in Mexico needless to say very fluent in Spanish its my first language and my main language, but my girl is Mexican American and she speaks Spanish when she has to but its not her go to language and I just had a son and I realized that when I speak to my girl in spanish she answers in English.

Now I want my son to be fluent in both and I thought he would but now after seeing my cousin who is basically the same setup as I am but his kids are older his kids dont speak spanish but they understand it and understand every word they just dont speak it (odd).

I want my son to learn Spanish aswell and be fluent and grow up in the culture So I plan to speak to him alot in spanish and teach him and all that by my drunken ways!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao

I dont know seems like more and more are losing teh ability to speak spanish, My son will be I dont know first/second generation (how will you label that, my girl is born in the U.S., i am not) but I notice alot of second generation dont even understand spanish.

what is yall opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Not at all! My kids spend every summer vacation living in Jalisco! Only my Filipina daughter doesn't know Spanish! She knows a little, but she learns Tagolog, which means she knows as much Spanish as a typical Plastico!

Comment

Working...
              X