Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do pro athletes make so much money (intellectual discussion only)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do pro athletes make so much money (intellectual discussion only)

Don't give some dumb answer like "supply and demand."

I'm looking for deeper answers. Why does society choose to funnel billions there way instead of toward research institutes looking for cancer cures and ways to make computers more beneficial to humans? Shouldn't the star cancer curer or computer scientist get paid the biggest bucks on earth? Why do we like watching football more than we do not dying of cancer?

Supply and demand.

As much as the public wants to see an athlete perform is around where his value is worth.

Lebron is getting millions because millions of people want to see him play basketball.

There's a low supply of players who can play that well so there's a high demand.

Comment

A player in high demand can sell thousands of tickets, multiple times a night, those people with tickets buy food,drinks, parking spots, merchandise.

Millions of people tune in to watch on tv, which gets its return in advertising revenue.

Bet revenue, Jerseys, product deals to get product exposure because people pay attention to celebrities, etc.

A star athlete is an economy generator.

Comment

Originally posted by ikigai View Post
        Supply and demand.

As much as the public wants to see an athlete perform is around where his value is worth.

Lebron is getting millions because millions of people want to see him play basketball.

There's a low supply of players who can play that well so there's a high demand.
        Did you even read my post?!? I said I want DEEPER arguments than supply and demand!

Comment

Originally posted by ikigai View Post
          A player in high demand can sell thousands of tickets, multiple times a night, those people with tickets buy food,drinks, parking spots, merchandise.

Millions of people tune in to watch on tv, which gets its return in advertising revenue.

Bet revenue, Jerseys, product deals to get product exposure because people pay attention to celebrities, etc.

A star athlete is an economy generator.
          But WHY does society want to watch basketball more than they want to cure cancer or explore Mars?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
            Did you even read my post?!? I said I want DEEPER arguments than supply and demand!
            Your thread title is "why do pro athletes make so much money"

My post explained why pro athletes make so much money.

Did you even read your thread title?

Comment

But WHY does society want to watch basketball more than they want to explore Mars?
              Supply and demand

If there's a low enough supply of certain resources here, and the resources exist in abundance on mars, then there would be a reasonable incentive to fund a mars expedition.

Comment

But WHY does society want to watch basketball more than they want to cure cancer ?
                Supply and demand.

The number of people who need a cancer cure determines how much cancer research is being funded, so far they recieve about 5 billion in government funding and fund raising per year.

Basically the top researchers are getting as much funding as they basically need, and the deficit is made up for with fund raising and corporate sponsorship

Which is affected by supply and demand.

Comment

It's my opinion that society is geared towards making money, almost everything is about it. There's more benefit to the elite to have money making machines then curing cancer seeing as depopulation is a real agenda they started/endorse.

Comment

Have u ever seen the percentages of all donated money that actually goes to research, I’d rather give it to an athlete than just pay the salary of a non profit that makes us believe that the donations are going to research

Comment

Working...
                    X