No announcement yet.

Pain on inside of knees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain on inside of knees

Lately I've been working out doing a lot of leg weights as well as running and cycling etc but have been getting pain on the inside of my knees.

My shoes always tend to wear out on the outside. I went to a podiatrist but they tried to sell me $500 orthotics which I figured I'd bs.

Has anyone ever had this ?

evidence suggests there is very little difference between a custom made orthotic (which cost a fortune) or a generic orthotic (that costs barely anything). If youve been doing more training than normal, patellafemoral pain syndrome is common. A podiatrists obvioulsy going to say its a problem with the foot but it could be a number of factors causing the problem, one of which could be increased training workload over a short space of time. COuld also be weak glutes (glute medius in particular) that result in excess stress on the inside of the knee. Either go see a physio or scale down your training activities. Road runnings notoriously hard on the knees, and review your form for your leg weights. hope that helps

Comment

Some things to ponder:
      What does your flexibility and mobility look like in your hips, quads and ankles? I'm gonna guess its not so good.

Fix your mobility and flexibility issues.

Start focusing more of your efforts on your posterior chain in the gym, glutes, hamstrings, and mobilizing your hips and ankles and don't forget to roll your feet out with lacrosse ball, golf ball, baseball etc.

The over pronation can come from many areas, but most commonly its your body overcompensating or under-compensating for a poor motor pattern that is most likely coming from poor or imbalanced muscle recruitment, causing your pain. Dial back and slow down your pace on everything you're doing and slowly reintroduce activities one by one at moderate levels. No need to go balls to walls on all of these leg activities if you're dealing with pain, that could be as a result of you doing to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
        Lately I've been working out doing a lot of leg weights as well as running and cycling etc but have been getting pain on the inside of my knees.

My shoes always tend to wear out on the outside. I went to a podiatrist but they tried to sell me $500 orthotics which I figured I'd bs.

If you really feel its your shoes that are giving you problems I would suggest switching to Cross training shoes vs running. Running shoes tend to wear out easily, Cross trainers are much more durable just a bit heavier. Cross trainers will also help you balance better because they dont form to your foot as much or to the way you walk/run so they wont wear in one specific area. What brand of shoes do you wear? Personally I think Adidas are the most durable. Nikes are so comfortable and look nice but wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post

Bro this is some serious ****!
          I have had the same thing and still enduring it now.

You have pretty much weak feet,ankles. They work all the way up to your knee, causing the pain. If you don't fix it you will very likely suffer further injury.

The sign with your shoes suggest that you have weak inner feet muscles, some sort of flat feet

I didn't fix it, just ignored it and kept training and suffered achilles tendon inflammation, plus two ankles sprains on the same side.

Took me total of 5 months not footwork, running etc leg training.

What you gotta strengthen your ankles/feet and probably stop doing leg training for couple weeks.

Check out these three videos (from athlete x, one of the best fitness youtubers):

ankle
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzy289wmsKQ

ankle
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bP24FFkQ54

knee
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbe_DqMJfzg

EDIT:

And don't buy orthotics, they just comfort your feet but don't fix your actual problem

Comment

As mentioned previously, it's likely patellafemoral pain syndrome (runners knee). I have gotten it before. It was insanely painful for awhile. I ended up having to spar Joeseph Agbeko when I was affected by it, lol. That was not a good day.

Basically the doc told me to take about 600mg ibuprofen, 2-3 times a day with meals, plenty of water, and make use of a knee brace that stabilizes the patella (go to Walgreens or something). Once the inflammation clears I suggest doing some stabilization exercises routinely, and maybe a little strength training if you don't already. But lay off it or it'll get worse. Took me about 3 weeks till it cleared.

Andre Ward ended up getting it when he had to pull out of the Cotto-Canelo undercard.

Comment

Working...
            X