No announcement yet.

Great Manny Steward interview regarding Lewis and the Klitschkos

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Manny Steward interview regarding Lewis and the Klitschkos

Sadly i can't post the link as it's a rival site, but here are some of the best quotes

And I will be with Vitali and Wladimir and we will be together, and some people will ask, “Mr. Steward, who would have won if that fight had of continued with Vitali and Lennox?”

I said, “Lennox was going to win that fight”.

“Well, you know, Vitali was ahead”.

I said, “Ahead is one thing, but he had six rounds to go! In a heavyweight fight, and one fighter’s whole face is torn apart?”

I mean it’s ridiculous. There is no way he was going to win that. Lennox had been in those situations before and then came back.
    With everything I told him to do, Lennox looks at me, goes out there, and wins the fifth round big time. And then he wins the sixth round big time, and when he came back at the end of the sixth round he looked at me and he said, “I got him now!”
    Lennox didn’t really pick up anything too much on Wladimir, but Wladimir picked up on that about Lennox. If they had ever fought, and Wladimir had never lost, and Lennox had fought him—it would have been a very, very intriguing fight I would say, because the best talent between the two, all the way around skill and coordination now that he’s learned got his footwork down, is still Wladimir. But still the best of the two, I would have to say was still at this stage unless Wladimir gets a chance to prove it, would have to have been Lennox here because Lennox did what he had to do. When he had to make adjustments he did them right there.
    Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 07-30-2012, 06:37 AM.

Your sig fits that well

But prepare for the hordes of Vitali nuthuggers

Comment

Vitali had never been cut like that, and i dont even think LL usually cut his opponents like that.
      So whether it was unlucky i dont know. Vitali landed a few punches on LL as well, and LL didnt get cut. Why?

So many ifs and buts, and coulda and wouldas. A rematch could have told us bit more, but it didnt happen.

Comment

Lewis vs. Mike Tyson:

What people don’t realize about Lennox also, Lennox might appear to be this gentlemanly guy and this mother’s boy, but he was one of the toughest guys that I have ever dealt with. When we had the fight with Mike and they had the first skirmish or whatever you want to call it, when they had the press conference in New York—what people didn’t realize is, when they were giving all the praises to Mike and they started giving their praises to Lennox, Mike snapped! He charged across the stage at Lennox! But as soon as he got in range, Lennox was the one that cracked Mike! He hit Mike! He didn’t back away, and run, and all that stuff. Lennox was never afraid of Mike Tyson. In fact on another occasion when we were out, personally I won’t go into that, but Lennox intimidated Mike.

Lennox even as a teenager back in Kitchener, Courtney Shand and the guys tell me whenever they had some kind of a street fight, they’d always go home and get Lennox to come, and Lennox came in and whooped them all. Lennox was always a rough guy

Comment

On Lewis ring iq

But nevertheless Lennox was a guy that did what he had to do! I loved that about him. He would make his adjustments, and if you would say “do this” then he would do it. The fight with Tua, we knew that Tua was a little short dangerous guy, and he was going to be dangerous all the way, because he maintained his punching power from the first round to the last. Not like Mike after a certain amount of rounds, Mike’s intensity and punching power were kind of drained. Tua was a little slow guy, but he had punching power with them little short arms. We had a strategy to just go about a good technical for a good technical effort, and not to go for a knockout and take any risks. That’s why we fought that fight that way. But any time if I had changed the plan to get him out of there, Lennox would have gotten him out of there. That’s what made him special to me more so than all of the other heavyweights I’ve saw and worked with in history.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
            Vitali had never been cut like that, and i dont even think LL usually cut his opponents like that.
            So whether it was unlucky i dont know.
            Vitali landed a few punches on LL as well, and LL didnt get cut. Why?

So many ifs and buts, and coulda and wouldas. A rematch could have told us bit more, but it didnt happen.
            It was a good punch that caught Vitali on a weird/bad angle, it kind of scraped him.

Replay at 1:48

Comment

inb4 jimmy and superflo

Comment

Lennox approves of this thread with a fine cup of English tea

Bottoms up dear fellows

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                  So whether it was unlucky i dont know. Vitali landed a few punches on LL as well, and LL didnt get cut. Why?
                  There was a thread where a poster claimed black skin is tougher and doesn't cut as easily as white skin, it was based on a scientific study. Really don't know what to make of it.

It's here.

Comment

Originally posted by Superflo777 View Post
                    There was a thread where a poster claimed black skin is tougher and doesn't cut as easily as white skin, it was based on a scientific study. Really don't know what to make of it.

It's here.
                    i will say that it seems like white fighters are more famously 'cutters' hatton, cooper etc but i have no idea of the stats and maybe bone structure has as much or more to with it than skin?

Comment

Working...
                    X