No announcement yet.

Prince Naseem Hamed doesnt get his just due and never will

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chups View Post
    He will never make HOF. But then again.......if McGuigan did, what's not to stop?
    He will get in the hall and deservedly so....Mcguigan isnt the only one he did more than thats in there.....Hamed cleaned out his division from 1996-2000 and was the clear best feathweight of his time

Comment

Originally posted by Chups View Post
      He will never make HOF. But then again.......if McGuigan did, what's not to stop?
      So then why contradict yourself?

Your right, if McGuigan can make the HOF then Hamed sure as hell has a chance of making it. Hamed certainly had a better career than Barry McGuigan, so like you said, if he can make it then Hamed certainly can, and should IMO.

What he brought to the Sport outside of the ring makes up for his resume for me, and for his whole package considering the excitement, money and new fans he brought to the sport, he should definitely be inducted into the HOF in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
        I think Hamed's boxing ability was pretty poor considering the level he boxed at.
        Some people consider boxing ability to be certain things...in the technical since his stance and defense was all wrong, but he seemed to be one of those guys who was just a natural like Roy Jones....cant teach reflexes, speed, power, and coordination...Hamed also had a very good chin

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          Some people consider boxing ability to be certain things...in the technical since his stance and defense was all wrong, but he seemed to be one of those guys who was just a natural like Roy Jones....cant teach reflexes, speed, power, and coordination...Hamed also had a very good chin
          No doubt. His attributes that you've mentioned were exceptional, he was truly gifted. My problem with him is that unlike Jones he never really learnt how to box so when he came up against a fighter like Barrera he was found wanting. It's a shame because he could have been so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
            No doubt. His attributes that you've mentioned were exceptional, he was truly gifted. My problem with him is that unlike Jones he never really learnt how to box so when he came up against a fighter like Barrera he was found wanting. It's a shame because he could have been so much better.

I do agree with you he could have been better but we really cant dwell on shoulda coulda woulda...just look at what he did as fighter. If he did have a different trainer he was better with his technique he would lose some of his best attribute....unpredictability and being unorthodox..

.I think by the time he got to Barrera it was not really skill and ability, it was preparation and arrogance...he didnt train as hard as he used to in the 90's, didnt throw in combination anymore depending on his power, and also didnt show the reflexes and movement that made him who he was

in his prime from 1995-1999 he looks totally different than when he fought after

Comment

I think most of the guys here are bias. The prince was never tested until he finally stepped up and fought Barerra. A real champ, and you saw what happened. Dont give me "if you have the least bit of boxing knowledge" crap. He got spanked and realize that he couldnt step up to the big dogs.

Comment

He was a good fighter, doubt he gets in the HOF. But based on who has gotten in before him, I wouldn't be too upset.

At the times he beat people, some of his wins get easily discredited, but they were good fights.

Steve Robinson (WBO FW champ/#3 FW), Manuel Medina (Top 10 FW), Tom Johnson (IBF FW champ/#1 FW), Kevin Kelley (Top 10 FW), Wilfredo Vazquez (#3 FW), Paul Ingle, Cesar Soto (WBC FW champ/Top 10 FW), and Vuyani Bungu (Top 10 FW).

8 solid/good wins, what hurt him was retiring so early. Had he continued and won a title in a 2nd weight class, I think his popularity and solid wins, inadditiong to being a 2 weight champ, could have gotten him in.

Comment

Nas was no longer hungry by the time he fought Barrera he had fell out of love with the sport im not making excuses for him but it’s the truth, it was even strongly rumoured that he didn’t even train for the MAB fight which of course his own fault.

Nas did a lot of good things for boxing including being the first guy to put the lower weights on the map in terms of bringing huge multimillion paydays, he was involved in some great fights and he was entertaining.

Boxing needs guys like Nas who bring originality and excitement to the sport, but what do we get Adrian “the unoriginal” Broner.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    In my eyes of the feathweights I have seen he is definitely one of the top ten ever.....I never got to see Abe Attell, George Dixon..but from the 1930's on I have seen him all and he beats most of them...only lost once to an ATG fighter....one of the highest kayo percentage for a champ in his division or others for that matter....in just 37 fights defeated 9 former,future, or current champs of his time....definitely cleaned out his era the mid 90's til early 2000's

my List in no particular order

Greatest featherweights of all-time ive seen

Wille Pep
                    Sandy Saddler
                    Salvador Sanchez
                    Eusebio Pedroza
                    Naseem Hamed
                    Vincente Saldivar
                    Alexis Arguello
                    Sugar Ramos
                    Henry Aromstrong
                    Tony Canzoneri
                    Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
                    Easily in the top 10 best featherweights of all time, anyone with even the least bit of Boxing knowledge could tell you that. The argument is, is he top 5?

One of the best p4p punchers in the history of the Sport.

Left the Sport at a young age though and thats why he doesn't get his just due.

No shame in losing to a ATG like MAB...he just didn't make a notable comeback from that. For whatever reason...some say his heart wasn't in it...some say his hands were ****ed.

Either way, if your someone like me who would rather appreciate than hate, he was one of the most enterntaining Boxers ever, and i long for the day someone even as half as entertaining as him lights up this great sport once again.
                    ^^^ same guy

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X