Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Mayweather Have Any Flaws in His Game?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd has two weaknesses pressure and he's deceptively a boxer puncher a heart, a a plus boxer, but if you box with him he'll sit on the ropes and bait you into a war, like he did Oscar, cotto, maidana, Manny when tagged... Floyd understands especially later in his career he could get hit with shots he doesn't see in the middle of the ring, and there will be no ropes...If you boxed Floyd and keep his output low two task that clash against each other you could make it a close fight

The only person skilled enough to play that high level chess was Manny despite criticism he was super sharp vs Floyd and both had back n forth periods of rounds where they adjusted neutralize each other but, by 8-9 Floyd went into a whole other level, nothing not even a jab to the arm is touching him mode without earning it
    Last edited by sbbigmike; 10-13-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Nope, he's Apollo.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        iamboxing. here is an interesting tale that has a moral to it. Sugar Ray Robinson loved dancing and singing. Those who saw him all had a similar opinion...He was not bad, but...he was no great talent to speak of. Well when asked about this supreme irony...the fact that he was the greatest fighter to many, and his yearnings he told a reporter point blank, "I don't really like to fight." Now digest that for a moment. Here is the sugar man, a man who fought guys that liked to fight so much, some of them would rather die in the ring than stop... saying essentially that as great as he was, it wasn't even the interest to him that other's had for the endevour.

We can qualify that as a weakness of sorts. If you cloned sugar Ray, and had two exact sugar rays fight with ONE modification...that being Sugar Ray #1 loved to get hit, loved to feel his hand against his opponent's brittle jaw, etc, versus Sugar Ray #2 who did not have the passion...who might win? LOL.

My point is that every fighter has weaknesses. Floyd's hands were one. I also think floyd had "sugar disease" and I don't mean diabetes. Mentally guys like Jones and Floyd prefered the easy win over the struggle. That could be a problem when facing an equally great opponent. This is one of the reasons I think if floyd fought an atg in his prime we would know a lot more about him. Manny would have been a great fight in their primes.

I think floyd was susceptable to pressure fighters...much like Jones was. Guys who would not go for the feints and come in and pressure continually. Madanna for example gave Floyd a hell of a time.

The closest to a perfect Floyd we have is at 130ish. At the lighter weights he was at his best IMO.
        Pretty much nailed it

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
          Power? No knock downs since Ortiz was looking at Cortez when Floyd punchded him. Let's not an amateur boxer, Conor McGregor .
          I don't remember Maidana wearing shades after their fights .
          Pac surely was not wearing shades .

Floyd has doubles power but not many home runs.
          Floyd had decent power at 140.
          But, at 147, he just does not hit like a welter with some pop.
          Can't blame him, he has bad hands.
          In all fairness, Floyd carried Conner so that is not valid. But neither was the Ortiz sucker punch!

Comment

He had no heart, he was a chicken

Comment

He NEVER lost a fight...he barely lost more than 3 rounds each fight....he fought some really good fighters like Chico, Hoya, Judah, Cotto, Mosley, Pac, Nelo, and JMM and some dogs with dangerous bites like Castillo, Gatti, Maidana, Hatton and few more...if he did have ANY SIGNIFICANT FLAWS those dudes would have did better than they did against him...they’re good enough and knowledgeable enough to do so but you can’t expose flaws that are not there

Comment

I can’t really find any flaw on him, as he got older he was getting hit with the jab but when you have 12 round fights then you would get it. I really do believe that he was the complete fighter in a boxing ring. He adapt his arsenal as he got older. When he was younger his biggest flaw was if you maul him, but he even adapt to that too and he even prefers if his opponents maul him. Even when he got hit with the jab he tends to adapt to that too and take it away from you. I really do believe that he had it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
                  He NEVER lost a fight...he barely lost more than 3 rounds each fight....he fought some really good fighters like Chico, Hoya, Judah, Cotto, Mosley, Pac, Nelo, and JMM and some dogs with dangerous bites like Castillo, Gatti, Maidana, Hatton and few more...if he did have ANY SIGNIFICANT FLAWS those dudes would have did better than they did against him...they’re good enough and knowledgeable enough to do so but you can’t expose flaws that are not there
                  Exactly, when you beat the guys he beat over 20yrs you gotta be special in terms of adaption to what they bring, its tough at the top of boxing and the fights are 12 rounds if you add up the numbers he won it was something like 500 rounds and lost about 40 rounds.

Floyds numbers and I mean all numbers from dollars to punch stats, nobody in the history of boxing comes close to his numbers and stats .

Fellas you can hate on this man all you want, you can try and belittle everything he did all you want, but to deny his ability inside a boxing ring is just straight up denial of a great fighter.

Floyds greatest asset is his control of distance and his spacial awareness, that awareness was never more evident than when he got clobbered by Mosley, that punch would have dropped so many fighters its not funny, some of them would have not got up, Floyd was in such control of the situation for being so hurt it really showed me what he has on the inside when looking at that dark place fighters go too.

His distance setting is a joy to watch, the jab to the belly was his main distance setter and it also stopped a fighters rhythm in their tracks, it fkd Hattons game completely, Floyd could fight very long for his size or in a phone booth and was just a master of upsetting a fighters rhythm he could do it from near any position, a master boxer! The trainers and fighters know it because they can see the master in his boxing,most fans dont see half of it.

Floyd was complete, his inside game was as good as his outside game, he was a great body puncher, he was great at tying guys up and he was great at punching short with uppercuts and rips, this why Hatton and Maidana smothered their own punches, because they were being caught every time they allowed punching room, they fcked their own game because Floyd was adapting to them and making them work while he is getting ready for the moment the bull-rush stops then he goes to work.

There are 2 types of power punches, thudding like GGG and ones that crack like a small caliber bullet, Floyd had that cracking punch it was sharp and carried enough pop to stop great fighters from just walking through him, thats all it had to do, add to that Floyd proved to have a rock solid chin so even if you got something solid in he could take it and then he just goes back to dissecting you.

Did Floyd have flaws he is human he has to have flaws, but when you can take a mistake and turn it into a win mid flight it puts you in another league where adaptions that succeed have no flaws, adaption only has methods.

Last edited by Roadblock; 10-13-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    In all fairness, Floyd carried Conner so that is not valid. But neither was the Ortiz sucker punch!
                    Why does McGregor count?

Err, a boxer whose hands are down after a hug and looking at the ref after he was hit then hit again counts as sucker punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
                      The read title says FLAWS. Not significant flaws.

Power and killer instincts are not quite there when you keep wining 9 rounds out of 12 and your opponents aren't knocked down or even wearing glasses after the fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X