No announcement yet.

What was a more impressive achievement on Roberto Durans Part

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was a more impressive achievement on Roberto Durans Part

Going the distance with Marvin Hagler in 1983 or Beating Iran Barkley in 1989?
    Each manager thought that either achievment were at the top of his list.(Luis Spada and Luis Decubas I believe)

going the full distance with the marvelous one and making a good account of himself in the process... IMO... thats a legit ATG MW very much close to his prime we are talking about...

its like JMM going up against arthur abraham except that abraham is leagues below marvin...
    Last edited by talip bin osman; 08-23-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Barkley in 1989, because many thought Duran was washed-up at 37, and the blade was coming off a three-round stunning KO victory over Hearns.

I remember Barkley said their fight was personal and he wants to win it for his late friend, Dave Moore, whom Duran battered to win the WBA 154 belt in 1983 before going up to face Hagler.

Comment

I think it's a tossup, but if I had to chose, I would say the fight with Marvin Hagler, going the distance with a great fighter who had gone slightly past his prime.Barkely didn't have the skillset of Hagler, so that was a factor, to an extent, in there fight.

Comment

i prefer Barkley

while not nearly as good, Barkley was a bigger MW than Marvin, Duran knocked him down and decisioned him in an upset

going the distance with Hagler is good, but it's still not a win

Comment

Beating Barkley for sure. The Hagler fight wasn't nearly as close as some choose to remember.

Comment

Barkley. Hagler adopted an overly passive strategy against Duran, which, while enough to win, was not the optimal choice and made the fight closer than it should have been.

Comment

I go with the Barkley win. He was older and pretty much counted out of the sport at that point. And Barkley knocked out Hearns who knocked out Duran. No way Roberto was going to beat "The Blade".

Yet, he came out and beat Barkley over twelve tough rounds in a real war where he even put Barkley down. Incredible performance and the last big win of his career.

However, he did great in the Hagler fight and made him look pretty bad. Here was a natural lightweight standing toe-to-toe with the middleweight champion who couldn't really do anything with him, much less hurt him.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                  Going the distance with Marvin Hagler in 1983 or Beating Iran Barkley in 1989?
                  Each manager thought that either achievment were at the top of his list.(Luis Spada and Luis Decubas I believe)
                  Beating Iran Barkley in 1989 for two reasons: He was older and I'd always rank a victory over a defeat.
                  Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-12-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                    Beating Iran Barkley in 1989 for two reasons: He was older and I'd always rate a victory over a defeat.
                    I agree 1000%, but clearly Duran's crowning achievement has to be the decision win over Ray Leonard.

Comment

Working...
                    X