Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rank Tyson if he had beaten Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you rank Tyson if he had beaten Lewis?

Lewis was undisputed champ and considered to be an ATG in his prime when they fought. If Tyson won that fight where do you rank him?(Lets also say that Tyson wins this by stoppage since it would be the only realistic option) This would have made his record 50-3, a 3 time champion with a an ATG win in the twilight of his career. In other words massive for Tyson's legacy.

While we're at it, how about if he had also won the rematch against Holyfield?(in a scenario that he'd lose the title after that too so he could still regain it against Lennox in 02).

This should put into perspective what Tyson 'could have been'. Also, please make sure you mention where you rank Tyson currently.
    Last edited by BKM-2010; 10-11-2014, 03:05 PM.

Right up there.

It was for the undisputed title, a great fighter and tyson was in the very end.

Top 5 for sure.

Comment

I think basically Tyson could very well be ranked the GOAT had he beaten Lewis.

There is a fair possibility that Tyson was the best HW of all time as it is. Conquering Lennox would have just underscored this potential further.

However, some serious evidence stands in the way of Tyson.

First his losses to Holyfield. For Tyson to have been beaten by a natural CW relatively light punching HW like Holyfield when he had lost to C level fighters like Moorer already casts doubt.

Stats show Tyson's performance dropping markedly the bigger+more skilled his opponents got and he never faced one as big+skilled as Lewis and won.

Finally Lennox and Tyson sparred in the 80's apparently. Tyson gave Lewis a lesson on the first day but rumour has it that Lennox had then totally worked Tyson out and from then on, never lost a round to Tyson. Not sure of the source, but I could believe that.

Far more likely is Lennox Lewis is the greatest HW that has ever walked.

Comment

Huge win, considering the stage of Tyson's career. It would definitely propel Tyson into the top 3 heavyweights, if he isn't already there.

I have Tyson in the bottom portion of my top 10 by the way, his short prime and resume hurt him a little bit I'd say.

Comment

Regardless who won I think Tyson is a skilled pressure fighter who could fight and do well in any era as long as his team was with him. I think the same of Lewis, good enough boxer that was more successful once he was taught to use his natural attributes. He is another fellow who needs his team to be successful.
          Both of these men did much better when they had their people surrounding them, they were not particularly strong minded and confident at all times throughout their careers. Top twenty probably in the teens.
          Ray.

................."never lost a round" hahaha what a dweeb you are sonny!!
          No you weren't there, I was, so you shouldn't talk about things that you have no knowledge of but then again its never stopped you so far!

Comment

It would have been one of the top 5 wins ever at heavy..

Tyson was completely shot by that time, but if he would have pulled it off, it would have been bigger than foreman beating moorer, or Holyfield beating Tyson..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              It would have been one of the top 5 wins ever at heavy..

Tyson was completely shot by that time, but if he would have pulled it off, it would have been bigger than foreman beating moorer, or Holyfield beating Tyson..
              I'd even argue that(if Tyson wins it in a dominating performance rather than just a hail mary one punch KO) it would be above Frazier-Ali1 & Ali-Foreman for the simple fact that Tyson was so much past his prime..

Comment

If he beats Lewis and Holyfield, probably top 3-5 all time at heavy. As it is, he's usually ranked top 10 towards the bottom, which is still pretty damn good. I'd put him around there if I did rankings.

Comment

if he did it at that stage of his career he'd be a lock for top 3 atg heavyweight it would go ali-louis-tyson

Comment

He definitely would have moved into the top ten. It would also raise Holyfields stock and lowers Lewis's.

Comment

Working...
                    X