No announcement yet.

"Off Night"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Off Night"

Always hated that term. I mean seriously? That is such a lame excuse for looking sub-par or losing a fight. I don't watch basketball or baseball or even football that much but athletes that play multiple days or even weekly should be the only ones that have an "off night" here and there. Fighters and fans that use that as an excuse just don't want to admit that the other fighter is better than they are. How can you have an "off night" when you train and are 100% ready for a fight twice or three times tops a year? Danny Garcia for example(this is not a hate thread), lost to a better fighter in Herrera because Herrera is a better fighter, not cause he had an "Off Night".

Im glad you brought up Garcia. That's the king of "Off Nights" around here.

Comment

People are human dude, they literally have moments where they under perform for a million different reasons.

Comment

People are robots.

Comment

Herrera clearly beat Garcia but I wouldn't say that was an off-night.

An off-night is, for example, Khan vs Garcia when Khan trained himself for most of the camp and also let his anger get the better of him due to the Garcia's racist taunts. Those factors, plus the weight-draining contributed to that loss - that was an "off-night" because Khan was out of his element due to the poor camp & racism from his opponent. Had Khan been able to prepare properly with a dedicated trainer, stuck to the right game plan and controlled his anger then he would have won that fight fairly easily.

Comment

There's such thing as off nights, but we can't give fighters passes for having them. You can't perform twice a year and get a pass for being off on one of those moments.

I'd say Angulo had an off night against Canelo. He didn't look like himself, but he doesn't get a pass for it. Canelo did a job on him and we can't make excuses for Angulo. Danny Garcia I don't think had an off night against Herrera. Herrera just had Danny figured out with a great gameplan and made him look silly in there.

Comment

OP is a badass who never feels low on energy when he trains.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                People are human dude, they literally have moments where they under perform for a million different reasons.
                Exactly this.

You can't expect 100% consistency from everybody. It's like I'm fond of saying: a fighter doesn't stop being a fighter outside the ring, and doesn't stop being a human being inside of it.

Comment

Boxer are subhuman and cant possibly have off nights.

Comment

Ever have a bad day at work? It happens. Boxers are not immune. But when all is said and done, good or bad day, you want to end up on your feet.

Comment

Working...
                    X