Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Examples of fighters who are great strikers, but have weak ground games?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples of fighters who are great strikers, but have weak ground games?

I guess fighters who rather stand up. And in the same token, fighters who are more comfortable at the ground game and hardly or rather stay on the ground.

Pat Barry is the first name that comes to mind. A very good, powerful kickboxer who looks like a complete novice on the ground and has been submitted in his only defeats. I was going to say Semmy Schilt, but I just looked at his record and he has quite a few submission victories so maybe he's better skilled than I thought.

Chuck Liddell was a pure striker in terms of style. He had wrestling ability but used it to keep things standing. I'm not sure how good his ground game was, it was so rare that he ever had to use it. The same can be said of Junior Dos Santos. Both lost by submission once very early in their careers but never after that.

Paul Daley (fights this weekend) is probably the best KO artist in his division but I've not seen him show much of a ground game and he was dominated there against Koscheck. Melvin Manhoef is a very exciting striker who usually wins by KO or loses by submission.

Anderson Silva was submitted a few times in the past but has improved his ground game since then. He still prefers to keep things standing though.

Roger Gracie and Jacare are BJJ world champions, and have done well at ADCC (BJJ is with gi, ADCC is without) and that shows in how they fight. Same for Demian Maia. I wouldn't say Brock has a great ground game, but he has good wrestling and a respectable top game, whereas his stand-up is poor. Matt Hughes has never had world-class stand-up despite holding the belt for a few years and beating the the best in his division during that time.

Comment

Gilbert Yvel. One of the most exciting fighters EVER!!! Always comes to knockout or get knocked out. He's a motha****in G!!!!

Comment

Melvin Manhoef "The MMA Mike Tyson" HARDEST MOTHA****IN PUNCHER! All K-1 striker, no ground game BUT THE ****IN MAN!!!

Comment

Melvin Guillard- Kinda like the Zab Judah of MMA. So much potential that hes wasted for years but is actually living up to it today. A fight or 2 away from a lightweight title fight. ****IN HEAVY HITTER!!!! He is a wrestler but usually gets tapped when it hits the mat.

(not my idea of highlight music so don't hate haha)

Comment

Paul Daley....

Comment

Thanks guys. Ima be taking some Muay Thai and BJJ for the hell of it. Was just curious about this particular area.

Comment

Cheick Kongo is sort of known as someone who's clueless on the ground.

Comment

Takanori Gomi.

No one wants to stand up with him, it's a death wish. But if you can get him in some sort of submission attempt, if he doesn't quickly get out of it, he is done. He can out-wrestle most guys though, his submission defense is 1/10.

On the opposite spectrum. Shinya Aoki has no stand up game what-so-ever. It's freakin sad, that's how bad it is. It's not even featherfisted, he just can't do shyt standing up. If he gets you on the ground though, your guaranteed a loss.
                  Last edited by F l i c k e r; 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X