Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Deontay Wilder Fan Club~

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boommbbbbbssqqqquuuaaadddd. I can't wait for these unification bouts to start!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Yea but people thought he would struggle and get beat by "subpar" fringe guys let alone anyone decent five years ago. Par means average, I would say he beat average guys not below average because the guys he beat beat a lower level of guys so they are clearly not the worst level of opposition.

Also struggle is a pretty strong word also considering he beat the **** out of most of the guys, and wasn't about to lose any of the fights.

This thread was made (and I should know because I made it) was because like no one took Wilder seriously at all at the time. People take him real seriously now that is why he is getting talked about in all kinds of threads which has been a fun progression seeing people be so wrong about him.
      Well he did struggle with Dunhapaus and especially Szpilka imo, got rocked really bad by Molina too.

I get why this thread was made, I just don't get why his fans get defensive when people point out his obvious flaws and his level of opposition. He's a WBC belt holder with 37 fights under his belt out of which only one opponent was worth mentioning. His other claim to fame is that one time when he almost fought Povetkin lol.... Man up, Deontay

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
        Well he did struggle with Dunhapaus and especially Szpilka imo, got rocked really bad by Molina too.

I get why this thread was made, I just don't get why his fans get defensive when people point out his obvious flaws and his level of opposition. He's a WBC belt holder with 37 fights under his belt out of which only one opponent was worth mentioning. His other claim to fame is that one time when he almost fought Povetkin lol.... Man up, Deontay
        Duahaupus is a decent fighter and landed a good amount of jabs, but wilder punished the dude, Molina landed one or two shots but Wilder certainly beat the **** out of him. Szpilka made it tough and not pretty but he was losing when the fight ended and it ended in horrific fashion for him.

His opposition is not anything special but I think people make too much out of it, especially like the amount of fights because he was a guy that needed a lot of work. Like I said the use of the word "subpar" I think his opposition has been more average in his run than below average when looking at what other guys are doing and when looking at those guys levels. Now I wouldn't call them good that is going too far but if you say the list is terrible I have to defend it because that is also going too far (talking recent work not his early work where he was certainly fighting a mix bums, hobos, vagrants and grifters).

Now if he wants to be considered as THE man at heavy he has work to do, and if he wants to get that real heavyweight money he will have to fight those high end guys. I believe he will do that and it will probably start with Parker who has his own question marks but would be a step in the right direction.
        Last edited by The Gambler1981; 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

That is the thing I never expected Wilder to be THE man, I thought he had talent and you never know how that plays out but I thought he could be pretty good and not a lot of people were saying that when I made this thread.

It has been a fun ride, he obviously has some issues and he is not some invincible flawless fighter. However, he has his strength and the strengths he does have tend to cover up his weaknesses. Also like you said when you look at his early fights and then fights later on you see how much hard work the guy put in and took his career very seriously. To me I find that progression worthy of respect and it has been funny to watch those who have been wrong about him the whole time just continue to double down again and again. Eventually they will probably be right and will laugh and say ha we were right all along but the fact that he will even get that sort of response when he goes down will show how far he actually got.
          That's what boxing fans do. Wait for a fighter to fail so they can say "ha ha I told you so". Whether the collapse happens next month or 5 years from now they just anxiously wait for the downfall. I just like to play around with those fans like children and poke at them to see them cry.

Having that mentality just blinds you what makes boxing so great. Since the top fighters usually come into the game with several hundred amateur fights under their belt, you miss them in their rawest form. With Wilder, we saw him in his rawest, amateur form and have seen him develop into a solid professional prize fighter. At this stage, whether the ending is one of tragedy or greatness, he made it to the highest level of the sport and will be on the biggest stage against the worlds best.

Comment

Duahaupus is a decent fighter and landed a good amount of jabs, but wilder punished the dude, Molina landed one or two shots but Wilder certainly beat the **** out of him. Szpilka made it tough and not pretty but he was losing when the fight ended and it ended in horrific fashion for him.

His opposition is not anything special but I think people make too much out of it, especially like the amount of fights because he was a guy that needed a lot of work. Like I said the use of the word "subpar" I think his opposition has been more average in his run than below average when looking at what other guys are doing and when looking at those guys levels. Now I wouldn't call them good that is going too far but if you say the list is terrible I have to defend it because that is also going too far (talking recent work not his early work where he was certainly fighting a mix bums, hobos, vagrants and grifters).

Now if he wants to be considered as THE man at heavy he has work to do, and if he wants to get that real heavyweight money he will have to fight those high end guys. I believe he will do that and it will probably start with Parker who has his own question marks but would be a step in the right direction.
            Agree to disagree on the struggling thing, but overall good and objective post. Nice to see a Wilder fan with brain for a change lol. I'm still rooting for Washington doe lol.

Off the topic but what are your thoughts on my boy Izu Ugonoh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
              Agree to disagree on the struggling thing, but overall good and objective post. Nice to see a Wilder fan with brain for a change lol. I'm still rooting for Washington doe lol.

Off the topic but what are your thoughts on my boy Izu Ugonoh?
              Haven't seen much of the Nigerian Polish guy, looking forward to seeing him tonight.

I certainly don't think much of Breazeale to me he is a total stiff but is a tough guy who is huge thus has power. If he is as good as people say he should be able to put on a real display against a guy like Breazeale.

Comment

I understand certain concerns about him, and he hasn't beaten anyone worth talking about. It is risky as I know this could come back to haunt me and I don't normally take a risk like this especially with a green prospect but Wilder has grown on me and become one of my favorite prospects.

I see progress with him both in his body he has filled out greatly and even how he fights in the ring as he looks like a real fighter now. He still has a ways to go but those changes prove he has a proper work ethic plus a desire to listen and improve. I also like the fact that he hurts dudes with one shot, I miss that from heavyweight boxing.

I don't want to hear garbage about him here so stay the hell out if that is what you are trying to spout, valid criticism I will accept because has a long way to go and who knows if he ever maximizes his abilities. I really jsut want to see who is positive on him at this early stage.

So let's hear it who is fan and willing to jump on the bandwagon early.
                Major bombsquad backer here. Always in great shape and hugely underrated skills..

Comment

• my thoughts:

1. He needs to develop some counter punching skills. Washington would throw his jab and Wilder's instinct is to back out of range where he can't stage an attack. He's too easily frozen by jabs and feints and it causes him to be inactive and give rounds away. Can't win rounds if you can't find your range.

2. He still has that terrible habit of backing up in straight lines which can lead to an eventual tragedy.

3. Despite the flaws, the equalizer bailed him out. On to the next challenge,

Comment

• He fought very passively tonight and pretty much gave rounds to Washington who really was not doing all that much. He kicked it up a notch for a second and the fight ended.

I am not too bothered because it worked out, and overcoming a bit of adversity is never a bad thing in boxing.

If he fights passively against a really good fighter he would more than likely lose, but I also don't think that is the best effort he can put forth so like I said I am not that bothered.

Comment

• its not unusual for a guy to carry a dog a few rds before ending the charade.

Comment

Working...
                      X