No announcement yet.

Name a fight that gave you a new found respect for a fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a fight that gave you a new found respect for a fighter

There's been a lot of hate on BS for a while now so lets see if we can have one positive thread. What are some fights that completely changed your opinion on a fighter? Not someone you liked and ended up liking more, but completely changed your mind.

Bradley vs Provodnikov - I remember coming home form work and not even being sure if I wanted to watch this fight. I had seen Provdnikov on FNFs and was never overly impressed. I had hated Bradley since he fought Alexander. Two undefeated American's in a huge let down. After seeing Bradley's heart it was impossible not to respect him. Talk about fight of the year.

Garcia vs Matthysse - I had been a huge supporter of Matthysse since I saw him get robbed vs Alexander. I wasn't impressed with Garcia when he fought an old Morales. I tipped my hat to him for knocking out Khan but felt he always had a notoriously bad chin and it's not like he wasn't getting tagged leading up to the ko. He ko'd an old Morales, congrats, he beat a past his prime fighter. Wasn't impressived at all with an old Judah. Never thought he'd actually fight Matthysse but he did. Not only did he, but he showed huge balls and heart and was the obvious winner in a hard fought fight. I was one of the people who was happy to admit how wrong I was. I had to give props to Danny for that one.

Which fights do you guys got?

Maidana after the Khan fight. He looked like dog crap against a shot/old Corley months prior and I always wrote him off as a talentless brawler with power who got lucky against a heartless Victor Ortiz. The amount of heart/restlessness he showed to get up from that KD and make it a nearly even fight was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
      Maidana after the Khan fight. He looked like dog crap against a shot/old Corley months prior and I always wrote him off as a talentless brawler with power who got lucky against a heartless Victor Ortiz. The amount of heart/restlessness he showed to get up from that KD and make it a nearly even fight was amazing.
      Really? See I was always a huge Maidana fan. I think it was after the Ortiz/Mayweather fight I said I wanted to see Maidana fight Mayweather when someone made a thread about who Floyd should fight. Haha I think my exact wording was something like "I don't think Maidana can beat him or even win a round, but Maidana is the only guy I see in the sport who won't have his will broken and will fight all 12 rounds". I felt extremely justified in that opinion a few years later. I wish I could go back and find that post because no one, for justifiable reasons, would believe I said it.

Comment

Among recent fight I have got to say Frampton .. I thought he ducked Rigo and expected him to lose in a stinker against LSC.. He proved me wrong and made it a super fight..

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
          There's been a lot of hate on BS for a while now so lets see if we can have one positive thread. What are some fights that completely changed your opinion on a fighter? Not someone you liked and ended up liking more, but completely changed your mind.

Bradley vs Provodnikov - I remember coming home form work and not even being sure if I wanted to watch this fight. I had seen Provdnikov on FNFs and was never overly impressed. I had hated Bradley since he fought Alexander. Two undefeated American's in a huge let down. After seeing Bradley's heart it was impossible not to respect him. Talk about fight of the year.

Garcia vs Matthysse - I had been a huge supporter of Matthysse since I saw him get robbed vs Alexander. I wasn't impressed with Garcia when he fought an old Morales. I tipped my hat to him for knocking out Khan but felt he always had a notoriously bad chin and it's not like he wasn't getting tagged leading up to the ko. He ko'd an old Morales, congrats, he beat a past his prime fighter. Wasn't impressived at all with an old Judah. Never thought he'd actually fight Matthysse but he did. Not only did he, but he showed huge balls and heart and was the obvious winner in a hard fought fight. I was one of the people who was happy to admit how wrong I was. I had to give props to Danny for that one.

Which fights do you guys got?
          Floyd after the first Maidana fight. That war took a lot out of him, and he came back to school an ATG in Manny and a hungry lion in Berto.

Cuadras in the Gonzalez fight. What a warrior. Such finesse. Such courage.

Bradley in the JMM fight. Everyone looks at the Ruslan fight as a defining moment, but to keep cool and grab your balls and outbox a mastermind, a boxing wizard like JMM, that showed me that Bradley is a great as I think he is.

Yaegashi in the Roman fight - I wanted him to win, but he proved he could hang with the best, no shame in losing that fight.

Fury in the Wlad fight. He is who I thought he was, I just wanted to see that boxing lesson with my own eyes.

Holyfield against Tyson I. Watching him defy a living legend in Tyson round after round and slowly break him, just incredible to see.

Maidana destroying Broner and humping him back. Not so much a surprise as I predicted him to win, but what a memorable moment of sweet justice.

Canelo in the GGG fight. The way he went to war...oh wait....

Comment

Biggest dissappointment-Sadam Ali

Biggst pleasant surprise---Billie joe saunders, i thought lee would smoke him, saunders looked very good in that fight

Comment

For me it would be Frampton against Santa Cruz. I thought Santa Cruz was gonna mow him down. Frampton fought smart but with heart too, impressive.

Another would be Kell Brook with both the Porter win and GGG fight. I wasnt too keen on Brook before he fought Porter and thought Porter was going to blast him out there. New found respect but started to lose it with his soft opposition after winning the title but got it back when he agreed to fight GGG

Comment

when Tony Danza rallied from behind to stop the Growing Pains dad in the 11th round

Comment

Hameed taking his loss against Barerra like a man

Comment

Paulie M against cotto, the odds were stacked against him, they move the weigh in two days before the fight instead of a day before the fight, to give cotto more time to recover from making weight, cotto was like a MW on fight night. Paulie M talk so much shet but backed it up, even when he had his face smashed he actually made the fight closer than I thought it would be, I was so impress with his heart even after cotto knocked him down that I wrote an email to Lou di bella to be passed on to Paulie.

Comment

Working...
                    X