Filipino flyweight Froilan Saludar being fast tracked to world title shot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino flyweight Froilan Saludar being fast tracked to world title shot

By Ryan ********, GMA News

With Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire Jr., Brian Viloria and Donnie Nietes enjoying world title success, another young Filipino upstart is steadily making a move towards a championship of his own.

Froilan "The Sniper" Saludar—a 22-year-old find from General Santos City, Philippines with a 12-0-1 (nine knockouts) record—will face Japan-based Pinoy Gabriel Pumar in a 12-round bout on August 6 at the Island Cove Hotel and Leisure Park in Kawit, Cavite.

Saludar's promoter Sammy Gello-ani and international matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz say that, should Saludar emerge victorious, he will fight an International Boxing Federation (IBF) eliminator for the vacant number two position in September, with a final eliminator for the number one spot coming either at the end of the year or the early 2012.

Saludar is currently ranked 13th by the New Jersey-based organization.

"The good news is that Saludar will fight very soon in an elimination bout," said Lewkowicz, who is in Mexico accompanying middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.

Click this link to continue the article

Originally posted by Asian Sensation View Post
    By Ryan ********, GMA News

With Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire Jr., Brian Viloria and Donnie Nietes enjoying world title success, another young Filipino upstart is steadily making a move towards a championship of his own.

Froilan "The Sniper" Saludar—a 22-year-old find from General Santos City, Philippines with a 12-0-1 (nine knockouts) record—will face Japan-based Pinoy Gabriel Pumar in a 12-round bout on August 6 at the Island Cove Hotel and Leisure Park in Kawit, Cavite.

Saludar's promoter Sammy Gello-ani and international matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz say that, should Saludar emerge victorious, he will fight an International Boxing Federation (IBF) eliminator for the vacant number two position in September, with a final eliminator for the number one spot coming either at the end of the year or the early 2012.

Saludar is currently ranked 13th by the New Jersey-based organization.

"The good news is that Saludar will fight very soon in an elimination bout," said Lewkowicz, who is in Mexico accompanying middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.

Click this link to continue the article
    I hope they don't rush this kid. Lewkowicz has the tendency to rush fighters into the lions den unprepared.

Saludar has good punching power but has raw ring savvy. I am not really impressed with his last last few fights. He relies heavily on his punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Cardon View Post
      I hope they don't rush this kid. Lewkowicz has the tendency to rush fighters into the lions den unprepared.

Saludar has good punching power but has raw ring savvy. I am not really impressed with his last last few fights. He relies heavily on his punching power.
      I like Saludar, he reminds me physically of Luisito Espinosa.

I think he has good punching technique and power and can work a variety of punching angles, but I agree with his ring movement. He seems to move in straight lines most of the time.

I think that a stepup is necessary because of how easily he's beating the guys in front of him. I'm curious to see how he fights going ten rounds, then 12 against guys who will hit him back.

Domestically, I don't think he can find the guys to test him.

Comment

Working...
      X