Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Boxing piggy back other huge sporting events?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't Boxing piggy back other huge sporting events?

Boxing does not have a season or a yearly schedule. Which gives it advantages and disadvantaged when scheduling fights.

So with the Super Bowl this past Sunday, a show in the same city should havw been scheduled that Saturday.

NBA All-Star Weekend, they can do an evening or daytime show since the NBA has events 3 nights in a row.

March Madness/Final Four same thing.

Even Wrestlemania they can do something.

Well I'll just add I don't watch Kneeling Punks

Comment

People rarely have time to follow two events back to back or probably have had their fill of entertainment from football and feel too satiated to bother watching a fight. I'm speaking about the UK, though, don't know what it's like over there in the US, but a match is followed by pub crawls or hanging with mates talking about the match etc. Plus, work commitments. Even the world cup which is every 4 years has to take into account other sports like Wimbledon and plan accordingly.

Comment

Because boxing is usually it's own worst enemy. Spence did huge numbers when Haymon had him fighting Bundu during the olympics. It can obviously work.

I mean, they don't even try to build guys up in their own hometown anymore. They rather have both guys in some random, secluded location with an empty arena.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
          People rarely have time to follow two events back to back or probably have had their fill of entertainment from football and feel too satiated to bother watching a fight. I'm speaking about the UK, though, don't know what it's like over there in the US, but a match is followed by pub crawls or hanging with mates talking about the match etc. Plus, work commitments. Even the world cup which is every 4 years has to take into account other sports like Wimbledon and plan accordingly.
          I would tend to agree with you. I like the idea of watching a boxing card before or after a basketball or football game, but I doubt it would be a consistent ratings draw because, as you say, people tend to make a day of it where they are all-in for one particular sport, drinking and wearing a jersey and talking smack on Twitter and so on. Add to that the fact of limited time in a day to spend in front of a TV when guys have kids and wives and all...just don't think it would shake out.

It's a fun idea for total sports fanatics, but I think splitting the attention of die shards might backfire.

Comment

Working...
          X