Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would HBO ever decide to invest more $$$ in boxing next year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Not currently. But they will.

And yea maybe they do start with another sport, but my assumption is they would start with a sport more outside of mainstream sports due to long term contracts being in play for those mainstream sports. Idk that you can just offer $8B or whatever to MLB & figure sh^t out. They'd need to have a team one would think to work out the kinks & I don't see why boxing couldn't be that sport to work out the kinks since boxing is a everyone for themselves sport. I'd say they could just do a deal with Top Rank & make it a win win thing. In fact I suspect it will be something exactly like that.
    No chance in hell that Netflix gets into boxing.

No chance in hell.

If you look at the rest of the sports landscape in the digital realm... it just doesn't work. It will be decades before the $$$ is there.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
      No chance in hell that Netflix gets into boxing.

No chance in hell.
      Thats a bold stance. Why isn't there any chance streaming networks, or Netflix specifically if thats your stance, get into boxing?

Streaming networks are swiping sh^t from conventional networks as we speak. I don't see why sports or boxing specifically would be a no no. Its merely a question of when. Next year, 3 years from now or a decade away in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
        Les Moonves has openly given props to Netflix as huge player in the future. Don't be surprised if PBC reruns would have streaming on Netflix. The more PBC branding the better. A rerun PBC structure with occasional Live bouts isn't far fetched. The Netflix platform is open dibs for boxing
        Yep. I could see any of these promoter or promoter-like en****** (like PBC) sign a deal tomorrow with netflix or any of the players in the streaming market. And sh^t man if HBO keeps their current budget or it keeps getting lower &/or PBC doesn't work out it'll make all the more sense for people in boxing to transition to new markets + it'll allow for those streaming markets to have to compete with less players & at a lower price point vs the smaller by the day current televised boxing world.

Thinking outside the box I could even see some new purely sports oriented streaming network pop up out of the blue & start competing for sports with the conventional networks. I mean the networks advertise like dummies in 1987 outside of naming the stadium the Summer's Eve Superdome. They should have ads running across the bottom of the telecast the whole show. F#ck normal ads & breaks. Keep it live the whole way. You create a streaming network with no breaks & just throw ads on the screen. I could see that crushing the current system. Maybe at certain slow points in a game you could even do legit ads in a corner of the screen if you wanna run em too doe. Regular TV adapts like my grandma. The times they are a changing my friends.

Comment

Thats a bold stance. Why isn't there any chance streaming networks, or Netflix specifically if thats your stance, get into boxing?

Streaming networks are swiping sh^t from conventional networks as we speak. I don't see why sports or boxing specifically would be a no no. Its merely a question of when. Next year, 3 years from now or a decade away in my opinion.
          Do you see any streaming networks paying any significant rights fees for sports and getting any sort of ROI?

From what I know... Yahoo's foray into the NFL was a financial bloodbath.

Comment

Do you see any streaming networks paying any significant rights fees for sports and getting any sort of ROI?
            You didn't really answer the question. And I don't see any driverless cars or drones either, but there coming too.

I mean think about it how many cats are buying the NFL Netflix Package if that were to come into being. Granted I don't think Netflix will be showing NFL games anytime soon, but if you don't see how you can make money from the NFL idk what else to say. But boxing is a huge clusterf#ck of everyone chasing money. FOR SURE Top Rank, GBP, PBC or someone will sign a deal to show fights here & there worst case sooner or later when Netflix or another streaming network decides to make the jump to live sports.

And ffs the UFC is streaming combat sports currently on UFC Fight Pass (minor MMA league events, ladies MMA, grappling, kickboxing, etc besides their own UFC events) as we speak. There is for sure a market for this & there is for sure boxing at all levels that would be able to make a deal with a streaming site that would prove profitable for the streaming network & the promoters/fighters.

Comment

You didn't really answer the question. And I don't see any driverless cars or drones either, but there coming too.

I mean think about it how many cats are buying the NFL Netflix Package if that were to come into being. Granted I don't think Netflix will be showing NFL games anytime soon, but if you don't see how you can make money from the NFL idk what else to say. But boxing is a huge clusterf#ck of everyone chasing money. FOR SURE Top Rank, GBP, PBC or someone will sign a deal to show fights here & there worst case sooner or later when Netflix or another streaming network decides to make the jump to live sports.

And ffs the UFC is streaming combat sports currently on UFC Fight Pass (minor MMA league events, ladies MMA, grappling, kickboxing, etc besides their own UFC events) as we speak. There is for sure a market for this & there is for sure boxing at all levels that would be able to make a deal with a streaming site that would prove profitable for the streaming network & the promoters/fighters.
              To answer your original question...

1. Boxing outside of Mayweather has a very poor digital presence. I don't see a Netflix or anybody throwing any significant $$$ into the sport due to the perception that the market is so small.

2. If they throw low level fights on Netflix... they will get low level results meaning there is little to no incentive to continue.

I see driverless cars and drones in my area. Whether they will be utilized for whatever u feel they will be used for is based on time and perception. I don't see driverless cars taking over anytime soon but in the coming decades they will. Just like streaming sports... in decades it will happen.

Just the same as your reasoning that you don't see a "NFL Netflix" package anytime soon... I don't see boxing on Netflix, YouTube, FB anytime soon. At least for anything considered substantial game changing money which would be $100,000 per event at a minimum.

No economics in streaming for sports. It's a cute little add on but that's about it for now. The majority of $$$ is TV for sports. Easy to see...

Like I said... decades

Comment

1. Boxing outside of Mayweather has a very poor digital presence. I don't see a Netflix or anybody throwing any significant $$$ into the sport due to the perception that the market is so small.
                Netflix is one of the premier places for docs to make money & docs are a long standing lit money on fire source of investing for moviemakers. Boxing would be far from the first niche thing Netflix played around with.

2. If they throw low level fights on Netflix... they will get low level results meaning there is little to no incentive to continue.
                This is some captain obvious sh^t. Of course you don't get Floyd vs Manny results if you show a Lemeiux vs Stevens or lesser fight. That doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. Just like how cats say "this fight isn't a PPV fight" when all anything needs to do to be a successful PPV fight is spend less money than it makes. It doesn't take big names. It merely takes a $1M budget & $1M & $1 in revenue.

Just like streaming sports... in decades it will happen.
                So you're agreeing with me, just not agreeing with my time line it sounds like. Although my timeline is hardly definite I just think it wouldn't surprised me if it happened tomorrow while it wouldn't surprise you in 2+ decades? Thats far too long btw. I think within 2 decades the Super Bowl will be getting streamed by someone even if its on some NBC or ESPN streaming service that becomes a player in the current streaming marketplace with Netflix & Hulu. TV as we know it is dying. Its beyond arguing about.

I don't see boxing on Netflix, YouTube, FB anytime soon.
                People are already streaming boxing, illegally or of questionable legality maybe, on FB. And hell I think Showtime streamed a fight on FB a month or two ago.

At least for anything considered substantial game changing money which would be $100,000 per event at a minimum.

No economics in streaming for sports. It's a cute little add on but that's about it for now. The majority of $$$ is TV for sports. Easy to see...

Like I said... decades
                Its a cute lil add on as they work to improve it & get people dipping their toes in the streaming world. Then it'll be the only game in town that matters kinda like how TV made the radio a niche device.

And the good part for you is you'll be right til your wrong in 3, 7 or 12 years from now & we both forget we had this discussion.

Comment

Even with the budget they have they could do a better job of choosing fights to broadcast. Last year when Canelo got hurt they were able to put on several shows. Canelo is taking up so much of the budget they can't show other quality fights. Budget allocation, Nelson is doing a horrible job at it.

Comment

Netflix is one of the premier places for docs to make money & docs are a long standing lit money on fire source of investing for moviemakers. Boxing would be far from the first niche thing Netflix played around with.

This is some captain obvious sh^t. Of course you don't get Floyd vs Manny results if you show a Lemeiux vs Stevens or lesser fight. That doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. Just like how cats say "this fight isn't a PPV fight" when all anything needs to do to be a successful PPV fight is spend less money than it makes. It doesn't take big names. It merely takes a $1M budget & $1M & $1 in revenue.

So you're agreeing with me, just not agreeing with my time line it sounds like. Although my timeline is hardly definite I just think it wouldn't surprised me if it happened tomorrow while it wouldn't surprise you in 2+ decades? Thats far too long btw. I think within 2 decades the Super Bowl will be getting streamed by someone even if its on some NBC or ESPN streaming service that becomes a player in the current streaming marketplace with Netflix & Hulu. TV as we know it is dying. Its beyond arguing about.

People are already streaming boxing, illegally or of questionable legality maybe, on FB. And hell I think Showtime streamed a fight on FB a month or two ago.

Its a cute lil add on as they work to improve it & get people dipping their toes in the streaming world. Then it'll be the only game in town that matters kinda like how TV made the radio a niche device.

And the good part for you is you'll be right til your wrong in 3, 7 or 12 years from now & we both forget we had this discussion.
                    People are already streaming on FB... LOL. Not sure what that has to do with a sustainable business model for someone to actually pay for fights geez.

This thing ain't complex... as soon as a digital entity can create comparable revenue for a live event as TV networks can, premium sports are staying on TV. You can say TV is dying all you want... it doesn't negate the fact that it will take much time for the transition to take place.

I remember in 2007 thinking that digital outlets for boxing was imminent. Now it's 2017 and there's nothing significant in sight... maybe 2027 will be fruitful lol

Comment

Originally posted by tommyg6 View Post
                      Imo, Netflix should get into Boxing. This way, us boxing fans can watch a fight on a Netflix app on our phone. It's the way of the future!
                      Meh, not me. Don't even have a smartphone, but even if I did, I have no interest in Watching on a tiny screen like that. I like Boxing on a big screen TV, I guess I'm old school. I'll Watch on my laptop if I need to Stream A Fight on PPV, but other than, I'd rather Watch on a big screen. But that's just me.....

Comment

Working...
                      X