Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Road To Ward/Kovalev: As A True Fan Of The Sport - Calm Before The Storm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road To Ward/Kovalev: As A True Fan Of The Sport - Calm Before The Storm

We are less than a week away from what I consider to be the biggest fight since possibly ODLH/Trinidad. What makes this fight special to me is a combination of the willingness of two elite fighters at the pinnacle to face each other, the significance of the fight results, and the masterpiece we will be treated to in style clashes and battles of the boxing mind.

In an era where prizefighting and it's fanbase is more concerned with the prize as opposed to the fighting, where negotiations and protecting hopefuls on their way to the money-generating top take a front seat and the core - the action, the style clashes, the personal storylines take a backseat, often almost lost among the hubris of greed and deception; how fantastic it is to see a light in the darkness, a glimmer of hope, a reminder as to why I fell in love with the sweet science materialize itself, manifest itself in the most purest of forms: the best fighting the best, no strings attached.

It has been many years since a singular fight has decided who should wear the crown as the pound for pound king, undisputed. The word brings chills up my spine. We were close, so close, in 2010, but the two titans of the sport at the time, for reasons which don't matter here and now, would not collide for many years later. There was no such delay here. And there shouldn't be. Boxing needs heroes, needs storylines that grip you and don't let go until the last bell rings. Ward, despite all his obscurity at the highest level, still remains one of the most perfect, most disciplined and humble fighters out there. Kovalev, despite the focus on his power and killer instinct, very much the complete fighter in practice, and perfect in record, has what it takes to enter the ring of truth and produce what we as boxing fans, true boxing fans, have had very little of, possibly ever in our lifetimes: a real 50/50 fight.

The style clash will be something remarkable, something to behold. Something that could even be underwhelming to the fan who's eye is not yet fine tuned to pick up the finer nunaces of the sport. Foreman once said the better boxing is the less it is appreciated, and that rings true today and always will, however for those of us who recognize and appreciate the sport at the highest level, we are in for a treat. This fight will have everything. Two men, ignorant to defeat, complete as they come, powerful, intelligent, determined, conditioned, hungry. Ready. Ready to leave it all in the ring in the name of legacy, history, pride, honor, blood. No payoffs, no dives, not "just an opponent". A true test at the highest level, of the highest caliber.

This is the anticipation, the calm before the storm. Enjoy it. Enjoy it like you would enjoy a peaceful relaxing drive into the mountains for the weekend. Know that the best is yet to come, but that getting there is half the reward itself. When it's over, we will have closure. No debates, no bitterness - not for us true fans. Fight fans. Fans who can set aside differences, tastes in fighter and style, and just be fans again - be the boy who fell in love with boxing the first time you realized what you were watching wasn't chaos and mindless swinging, but coordinated, orchestrated violence, and it was beautiful. For us unbiased fans of boxing, we will be kids again on fight night. Our dreams, our fantasies, this is what they ultimately always are in the end - the maximum. The climax. Two masters of their art, clashing for supremacy. For the fan who can set aside individual fandom and just love the sport for what it is, for one night, he will have an experience like no other in life. This is what we live for gentlemen, this is boxing, and on 11.19.16 we will all be in nirvana, for no matter who rises victorious, we can all agree that the best man truly won, and the best man will be truly recognized, and that he was truly tested, and it's times like these, no matter how distant from each other, when it all pays off.

~Wraps
    Last edited by LoadedWraps; 11-15-2016, 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Awesome post. The true fight of the century, not convinced it'll light up like we hope but I care none I'm watching and more than anything the victor is the true no.1, two guys facing each other in their absolute prime not waiting years for the fight to slide into insignificance.

WAR BOXING.

Comment

I'll read the whole thing later but don't you wish every fighter was like these two? Willing to fight each other. Or the management/promoters allowing them to fight each other? How much better would boxing be? We are so deprived of great fights that nowadays we praise just about any fight we get (not saying this one isn't deserving of praise).

And one more thing, wtf is Wraps? It's Wrapz!

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        I'll read the whole thing later but don't you wish every fighter was like these two? Willing to fight each other. Or the management/promoters allowing them to fight each other? How much better would boxing be? We are so deprived of great fights that nowadays we praise just about any fight we get (not saying this one isn't deserving of praise).

And one more thing, wtf is Wraps? It's Wrapz!
        Absolutely. This fight is up their with the best fights EVER. I'm as pumped for this as I was for Kessler vs Froch and Garcia vs Matthysee. Feels like it has taken an eon to come around.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          We are less than a week away from what I consider to be the biggest fight since possibly ODLH/Trinidad. What makes this fight special to me is a combination of the willingness of two elite fighters at the pinnacle to face each other, the significance of the fight results, and the masterpiece we will be treated to in style clashes and battles of the boxing mind.

In an era where prizefighting and it's fanbase is more concerned with the prize as opposed to the fighting, where negotiations and protecting hopefuls on their way to the money-generating top take a front seat and the core - the action, the style clashes, the personal storylines take a backseat, often almost lost among the hubris of greed and deception; how fantastic it is to see a light in the darkness, a glimmer of hope, a reminder as to why I fell in love with the sweet science materialize itself, manifest itself in the most purest of forms: the best fighting the best, no strings attached.

It has been many years since a singular fight has decided who should wear the crown as the pound for pound king, undisputed. The word brings chills up my spine. We were close, so close, in 2010, but the two titans of the sport at the time, for reasons which don't matter here and now, would not collide for many years later. There was no such delay here. And there shouldn't be. Boxing needs heroes, needs storylines that grip you and don't let go until the last bell rings. Ward, despite all his obscurity at the highest level, still remains one of the most perfect, most disciplined and humble fighters out there. Kovalev, despite the focus on his power and killer instinct, very much the complete fighter in practice, and perfect in record, has what it takes to enter the ring of truth and produce what we as boxing fans, true boxing fans, have had very little of, possibly ever in our lifetimes: a real 50/50 fight.

The style clash will be something remarkable, something to behold. Something that could even be underwhelming to the fan who's eye is not yet fine tuned to pick up the finer nunaces of the sport. Foreman once said the better boxing is the less it is appreciated, and that rings true today and always will, however for those of us who recognize and appreciate the sport at the highest level, we are in for a treat. This fight will have everything. Two men, ignorant to defeat, complete as they come, powerful, intelligent, determined, conditioned, hungry. Ready. Ready to leave it all in the ring in the name of legacy, history, pride, honor, blood. No payoffs, no dives, not "just an opponent". A true test at the highest level, of the highest caliber.

This is the anticipation, the calm before the storm. Enjoy it. Enjoy it like you would enjoy a peaceful relaxing drive into the mountains for the weekend. Know that the best is yet to come, but that getting there is half the reward itself. When it's over, we will have closure. No debates, no bitterness - not for us true fans. Fight fans. Fans who can set aside differences, tastes in fighter and style, and just be fans again - be the boy who fell in love with boxing the first time you realized what you were watching wasn't chaos and mindless swinging, but coordinated, orchestrated violence, and it was beautiful. For us unbiased fans of boxing, we will be kids again on fight night. Our dreams, our fantasies, this is what they ultimately always are in the end - the maximum. The climax. Two masters of their art, clashing for supremacy. For the fan who can set aside individual fandom and just love the sport for what it is, for one night, he will have an experience like no other in life. This is what we live for gentlemen, this is boxing, and on 11.19.16 we will all be in nirvana, for no matter who rises victorious, we can all agree that the best man truly won, and the best man will be truly recognized, and that he was truly tested, and it's times like these, no matter how distant from each other, when it all pays off.

~Wraps
          TBear mega BostonGuy

can ya give this guy his own article etc.... This was an excellent read. Ya should post it and have a comment section etc like other "legit" articles.

Comment

Good thread. I've never been so into a fight. Emotionally, I've been more hyped before because there were times when I REALLY wanted one guy to beat another (Sergio vs Jr). This time, I like both so I'm not nervous about being disappointed. But, the whole mystique of the thing, the number of scenarios that may play out, the fact that the smallest of things will sway the outcome is incredible to take in. It's like a motorhead knowing he's going to get to drive an original Ford GTO. You get hyped, you hope you can take it all in, and hope that it lives up to the hype. It might not be yours, but in that moment, you are at the pinnacle.

Comment

The p4p throne is on the line, only trolls can be negative about either fighter

Comment

i can't bloody wait

i will be supporting krusher....because it's all on him to make the fight exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

~Wraps
                  what a load of melodramatic bull**** ^

Comment

^ that guy just got swiftly added to my ignore list. It's been a while since I dusted that bad boy off.

Comment

Working...
                    X