No announcement yet.

Whats the most powerful punch in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
    No, the straight has the arm locked, at the appropriate distance there is little to no give and it's resting on your shoulder, a right hook/overhand doesn't have the shoulder to fall back on.
    indeed it does, but the higher the speed the less structure is needed to deliver the power, that's partly why a mace on a chain hits harder than a mace on a pole

remember the chain mace has 0 structure behind it, the same weight also, but because its going much faster it causes a lot more damage
    Last edited by BillyNoMates; 11-01-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

For me it's my right cross. My left hook is formidable and my overhand is good..I try to make all my punches even my jab have authority, but my right cross is how my whole power matrix is set up. When I go to throw a hook, my muscle memory picks up as if I just threw a right cross, even when throwing a lead hook.

I often throw my right from within combination ...and other punches can get the job done..but I believe fighters have one shot that is the focal point of their principle of power.. I built the mechanics of my left hook upon the foundation of my right cross, and not the other way around.

I can also cover large distance with the cross.. and a small step or jumpstep can add a devastating dose of my body weight into the end of my fist. In my experience..the cross is best for weight transference purposes with use of a jump step.

The hook is not as efficient with weight transference with use of a jump step..because.. a jump step is straight forward whereas much of a hooks force is lateral. I like to keep everything moving forward when my power is being discussed though i do see a great deal of use in strafing energy. I do do a pivot with the hook sometimes.. a check hook of sorts .. which adds a little something of my weight.. or something I set up from within combination...from orthodox, usually a one two then a pivot to the right then my left hook is angled to land like a straight right hand... seeing as my elbow is still bent, that is useful for smother prevention to land with authority when things get tight..get an angle then drill em.

But I'm always looking to put at least some of my body weight in my shots. For me...that tabs the right cross as my bread and butter.

Comment

The one you don't see coming

Comment

big right hand from a gigitantic HW with power. those guys typically generate their best power from arm's length. think lennox lewis, wladimir. that's the archetype of the big right handed puncher.

wladimir's right hand still gets my vote. nobody in boxing punches like that. i used to think wilder had the biggest punch, but i think he broke his hand pretty badly, and he doesnt' throw it as hard as he used to. i know he's got metal in there.

Comment

Most power would be the punch landing with the highest speed, which is the right hand.

However its more complicated than that, thats going to be the highest power, but say a hook that lands differently and causes the head to rotate, that may cause more damage to the brain with less actual power.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyNoMates View Post

I have a counter idea.

I think at high speeds and at a high level of power the kinetic energy behaves differently than it does at slow speeds for example when you push against a wall. I think/ know that power is transferred more efficiently at higher speeds so you don't need such a good structure behind the punch, I never find myself coming off balance when I throw a powerful hook although I do if I try to push in a hooking motion against the heavy bag.

sounds like you are trying to describe momentum. If youre moving at a higher speed, you have more momentum and will tend to keep in that direction. Its basically how those motorcycle in a spherical cage work with them going upside down, how you can fill a bucket of water with a rope on the end of it and if its going fast enough, you can spin it vertically with out the water falling out, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                Most power would be the punch landing with the highest speed, which is the right hand.

However its more complicated than that, thats going to be the highest power, but say a hook that lands differently and causes the head to rotate, that may cause more damage to the brain with less actual power.
                what makes you think the right hand is landing at the highest speed/

Comment

Originally posted by BillyNoMates View Post
                  As in total force. Total power.

It has to come from the right side left hooks etc don't get the same amount of torque or distance to build up speed when compared with the right side punches.

So its either.

A straight right [can be overhand cross]

A right uppercut [can be shovel hook]

or

A right Hook [can be overhand]

I think its the right hook, however not the textbook right hook thrown with the elbow at 90 degrees, its the longer ranged version, although it has slightly worse structure behind it, it gets a shed load of time to build up speed momentum and power, and the overhand version gets a helping hand from gravity.

From testing on the bag, its that punch that feels the most powerful and sounds the most powerful, I get the impression its the most concussive, and I can throw the straight right and right uppercut properly using the legs etc
                  Hook punches generate the most force...however ultimately its the individual whos throwing their preferred power shot that counts..Tysons uppcut/Lewis's over hand right as example....same level of power.

devastating hook punchers would be tommy Morrison and also Tyson and Wlad....would say Morrisons hook as powerful a punch as ive seen in hooking.Not many Hw's can throw hard straight punches as hard as hook punchers either...Wlad the most powerful,with that punch and certainly rivaling Tyson or Lewis.

In short the hook punch has the advantage to maximize power due to how it is thrown and torque with more muscles involved.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-04-2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Momentum is not only speed.
                    Momentum in physic stands for P = m v, mass x velocity.
                    Kinetic energy is defined as E = 1/2 m v^2
                    You can include the momentum formula into the Kinetic energy formula and have E = 1/2 p v
                    Thats why leveraging and put body weight is important.

The most powerful punch is the right cross, however if we talk about the DAMAGE to opponent the hook/overhand could be the better choice because it hits to the side of the jaw causing quick torsion of the head. The neck muscles can absorb better if the head snap back, but less if the head is hit to the side especially on the jaw because you have a very good lever on the cervical spine
                    Last edited by Helm; 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I would say the overhand right, if it's thrown with maximum leverage, and especially if it lands without the opponent seeing it coming.

Comment

Working...
                      X