No announcement yet.

calzaghe would beat prime jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    Antonio tarver knocked out roy Jones for crying out loud.
    I don't think Reid beat Calzaghe. He fought him dirty and Calzaghe fought down to his level somewhat but won a clear but fairly close decision.

Jones was no longer at his best in the Tarver fight. I think the gaining 25 lbs muscle then cutting it ended him and given his style him being out of his prime effected him perhaps more so than other great fighters such as Calzaghe.

Jones at his peak IMO doesn't lose to anyone under at or 175 apart from perhaps Spinks, Foster, Charles, Moore, Conn and those are open for debate too.

I think Calzaghe is a lot more competitive than people would want to believe but he'd fall short IMO.

Comment

A shell of a faded RJJ dropped Joe, imagine what a prime, "can't be touched" version does

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        He'd do whatever he wants. They aren't even in the same stratosphere.

Robin Reid outboxed Calzaghe for crying out loud.
        i'll be honest, i havn't watched the reid the properly so can't comment on that. calzaghe in mid 00s was a machine, his iq definitely got better with age.
        Originally posted by WarHagler View Post
        I think it would be close but to say Roy didn't have one punch knockout power is silly , just ask Virgil Hill's rib. Calzaghe style is a bit tricky cause his style needs him to be faster than his opponent and to be able to slip his opponents punches and if the likes of James toney had trouble with it so would Calzaghe and to out speed Roy Jones is just laughable. Calzaghe does have a good iq though and was able to figure out his opponents but I don't see a plan for Calzaghe to use to out box a prime Roy Jones
        most of rjj knockouts were a result of cumulative punches, when he sat down on his punches properly (eg. griffin fight 2) he had incredible power but we barely saw him that fired up for a fight ever. he was quite risk averse throughout his prime and prioritised not getting hit.
        Originally posted by SonnyboyReturns View Post
        Couldn't even beat old hopkins and Reid but thanks for the laugh.
        oh come on he beat bhop clearly. bhop just wanted to hug and spoil the whole fight

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Bayless View Post
          i'll be honest, i havn't watched the reid the properly so can't comment on that. calzaghe in mid 00s was a machine, his iq definitely got better with age.

most of rjj knockouts were a result of cumulative punches, when he sat down on his punches properly (eg. griffin fight 2) he had incredible power but we barely saw him that fired up for a fight ever. he was quite risk averse throughout his prime and prioritised not getting hit.

oh come on he beat bhop clearly. bhop just wanted to hug and spoil the whole fight
          He won the Reid fight. It wasn't joes best night but he still clearly won, and Reid was no bum either. I don't think there's a fighter in history who didn't have an 'off night' once in there career

Comment

There I some truth in what you say but he did hit hard and while he did prioritize hit and not be hit he liked to be flashy and Calzaghe who would start slow (eg Calzaghe vs Hopkins, Calzaghe vs Roy Jones ) would be awful for a person like Roy.

Comment

Yeah, Calzaghe-Hopkins was terrible, sloppy, ugly but it was a very clear win for Calzaghe. Hard not to give him 8 rounds.

Comment

I was a big calzaghe fan but this is rubbish. Prime Roy Jones was too good for any SM ever. It's that simple.

Comment

Calzaghe would hardly land anything on a prime Roy Jones. Old man Hopkins beat him but got robbed. The faulted Hopkins for cruising the last round. They wanted him to more than they expected Calzaghe to do.

Comment

Antonio tarver knocked out roy Jones for crying out loud.
                    Right and Tarver is a damn site better than Robin Reid and would be Calzaghe's best win.

Comment

People forget that joe was no spring chicken when he fought roy Jones. He'd slowed down himself.
                      Yeah man that reminds me of when Camacho beat Ray Leonard.

People say Leonard was shot but people forget that Camacho was no spring chicken himself!

But Camacho's style was all wrong for Leonard. We saw that when they fought

Comment

Working...
                      X