No announcement yet.

Who was the most succesful fighter in history with only mediocre talent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmericanYeti View Post
    Learned skill is different from god given talent, though. I agree that he had a killer instinct and that he wanted to grind you into the ground, but other than that, what was he spectacular at? He had nowhere near the athletic ability of, say, Roy Jones or Manny Pacquiao.

That said, mediocre is a bit too far. He just wasn't an exceptional talent.
    He had great stamina, chin and good punching power. He also in a offensive march would block and slide punches as he got close. His left hook to the body was for the text books. He could jab and had a lead right hand when you were looking for the hook. For me early in his career he was like a little Duran. By the time Whitaker got to him he was on the way down already (personally I think Pernell would had beat him any stage of his career)

And I didn't even like him and he made me into a believer

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      I don't think fighters with power and chin necessarily had no talent. I'd like to hear more of those fighters who didn't have great talent, didn't have a great chin and couldn't hit. Basically got by with cleverness and conditioning.
      That is what I am thinking. Most people associate talent with speed and athleticism, but I think we may have to broaden that when talking about boxing.

It would make a much more interesting topic with your definition.

I'd say Cory Spinks is a good pick.

Comment

I think Chavez had underrated athleticism. When he was younger, he was pretty damn fast, great reflexes and instincts to go along with his more obvious traits.

Comment

I realize that he's a great, great fighter, it's just that he has a reputation (and from what little I've seen) that he's more of a blood and guts type guy than an amazingly talented one. Maybe you're right, though, I'm not as familiar with him as I could be. What are some of his fights that I should check out to really showcase his talent?
          Last edited by BigStereotype; 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Jimmy Young comes to mind for Heavyweights.

Comment

Zab Judah is a good choice I think.They managed to trick many people into believing that Judah was this slick,skilled craty fighter who was the second coming of Pernell Whitaker.

Judah has handspeed and nothing else.It's shocking that he was actually able to knock out a superior boxer in Cory Spinks.That may have more to do with Spinks doing very little training however.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeyapudpud View Post
                Zab Judah is a good choice I think.They managed to trick many people into believing that Judah was this slick,skilled craty fighter who was the second coming of Pernell Whitaker.

Judah has handspeed and nothing else.It's shocking that he was actually able to knock out a superior boxer in Cory Spinks.That may have more to do with Spinks doing very little training however.
                that is so very true

Comment

He's got enough pop in that left hand to stun Miguel Cotto multiple times early in their fight.

Comment

Steve Robinson from Cardiff was an average Joe in training when he was called in as a substitute for the injured Colin McMillan to fight John Davison for the vacant WBO featherwight title..
                    He thoroughly outboxed Davison and went on to make 7 defenses, beating the likes of McMillan and Duke McKenzie along the way.. He eventually lost the title to Naseem Hamed, but had done very well for a clubfighter with a 50/50 record b4 his unexpected opportunity came along..

With regard to limited fighters who gained financial success, I think Gerry Cooney is worth a mention.. He had a very astute management team under Dennis Rappaport promotions, who did an excellent job of hyping him up as the GWH..
                    For the Holmes fight, Cooney actually ended up with 3 times more than Larry, who was ripped off by Don King.. Infact, Cooney cleared over $3000,000 for that fight, which would have been considered an obscene amount back in the early 80's.. He was also tempted out of retirement with another huge paycheque to fight George Foreman..
                    For a left handed fruit machine, who always got KO'd every time he stepped into A class, he churned out some very heavy bucks indeed..

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanYeti View Post
                      He's got enough pop in that left hand to stun Miguel Cotto multiple times early in their fight.

Lovemore Ndou was more competitive with Cotto than Judah was.

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

For a left handed fruit machine, who always got KO'd every time he stepped into A class, he churned out some very heavy bucks indeed..

Was he KO'd by Lyle? Young? Norton?

I mean,this was a step up in class,what it not? And yet,record suggests that it was actually Cooney who stopped these men.

ALTMANPOPER eh? What a laugh and a half you are Malone.

Comment

Working...
                      X