No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: UFC is in hell thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monaco Slim View Post
    The UFC has been in trouble for many many years. How they were able to sell it for 4 billion is beyond me, I guess fools and their money are easily parted.
    You must not heard.

The Fertita brothers sold the rest of their shares last week at a valuation of 5B lol. And honestly I think they got out at the best possible time at the best possible price. I think Conor is gonna be on a serious downslide for a few fights (although I suspect he'll break the UFC PPV record in Dec. to reach the real peak for the UFC before things start going down hard for awhile) or for his last few fights & then with Jon Jones likely being out for 2-4yrs that means they have all their lights shining on nobody as a star for awhile as they have to organically await that persons arrival or hope No Love Cody or Whittaker or GSP decides to stick around for more than 2 or 3 fights or something happens sooner lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      You must not heard.

The Fertita brothers sold the rest of their shares last week at a valuation of 5B lol. And honestly I think they got out at the best possible time at the best possible price. I think Conor is gonna be on a serious downslide for a few fights (although I suspect he'll break the UFC PPV record in Dec. to reach the real peak for the UFC before things start going down hard for awhile) or for his last few fights & then with Jon Jones likely being out for 2-4yrs that means they have all their lights shining on nobody as a star for awhile as they have to organically await that persons arrival or hope No Love Cody or Whittaker or GSP decides to stick around for more than 2 or 3 fights or something happens sooner lol.
      Terrible investment. In 2017 it couldn't be any more obvious that MMA/UFC is a fad.

Comment

Terrible investment. In 2017 it couldn't be any more obvious that MMA/UFC is a fad.
        I don't think you know what a fad is if you legit think a whole sport people compete in around the globe now just like boxing is a fad. There was a 50k crowd in Poland for a MMA minor league card a couple months back. There are a several Russian & ex-Soviet MMA leagues. There are MMA gyms all over the world.

Is the UFC looking at a downtrend for a year or 18 months or so til some new names start popping up? Solid bet on that.

Comment

I don't think you know what a fad is if you legit think a whole sport people compete in around the globe now just like boxing is a fad. There was a 50k crowd in Poland for a MMA minor league card a couple months back. There are a several Russian & ex-Soviet MMA leagues. There are MMA gyms all over the world.

Is the UFC looking at a downtrend for a year or 18 months or so til some new names start popping up? Solid bet on that.
          UFC fighters only get popular if they act like pro wrestlers. It doesn't matter how skilled a UFC fighter is, they can't draw unless they act like an entertainer.

Comment

UFC fighters only get popular if they act like pro wrestlers. It doesn't matter how skilled a UFC fighter is, they can't draw unless they act like an entertainer.
            GSP is the best selling UFC fighter in history. He's about the most respectful guy in the UFC & maybe all of combat sports.

Buy yea talking sh^t gets you attention thats why Floyd, Ali & Jack Johnson are among the most popular boxers with drawing fans, if to watch them lose, & selling tickets, closed circuit & PPV, in boxing history.

Not sure how that'd make MMA a fad either way doe.

Comment

There are people who still believe Jones will be vindicated, saying he was set up, his sample or a drink of his was spiked, etc...I just want this B sample to come back positive already so we can move on from him. If it comes back negative that just ****s everything up even more!

Comment

GSP is the best selling UFC fighter in history. He's about the most respectful guy in the UFC & maybe all of combat sports.

Buy yea talking sh^t gets you attention thats why Floyd, Ali & Jack Johnson are among the most popular boxers with drawing fans, if to watch them lose, & selling tickets, closed circuit & PPV, in boxing history.

Not sure how that'd make MMA a fad either way doe.
                Not even close. Brock Lesnar was #2 and Conor is #1

GSP did great in Canada, thats about it.

Comment

MMA is very relateable to people around the world, and indeed is going nowhere.

Even on the UFC; despite the astronomical sums, it's not even necessarily a bad move by the new owners.

The reason is that corporations don't operate on the same time trajectories, which is because corporations are essentially immortal.

UFC could lose money for the next 20 years, and then make money for the following 40; and theoretically speaking, the company could still do okay (if it is a conglomerate of sufficient resources, and the discounted future-value net returns of the entire 60-year period are positive--or indeed in economic terms, amount to an 'economic profit' of zero.

That's just a theoretical proof essentially; it's not a suggestion that their actual trajectory has anything in common with the description in the prior paragraph.

The principle value in the UFC, however, from the standpoint of the owners is its position as market leader, and it is for this which they paid a hefty premium.

Comment

If you haven't done so, seriously check out Rizin; OneFC; M-1.

In my opinion, high technical skill is more commonly on display.

I think it has much to do with styles of fighting. A lot of M-1 guys come from high-level Sambo/judo backgrounds, and thus are deeply schooled in technique. Likewise for Japanese fighters, with respect to judo, traditional Japanese martial arts, and catch-as-catch-can wrestling (which is largely derived from Japanese pro wrestling, which often features more realistic matches, utilizing catch wrestling).

In OneFC, there are some very high-level Muay Thai strikers making their way through the rankings. It has also established itself as a sizable promotion, able to attract a lot of talent from all over.

UFC still has plenty of technical fights, but it can be less common.

Honorable mention for Ganryujima.

Comment

Not even close. Brock Lesnar was #2 and Conor is #1

GSP did great in Canada, thats about it.
                      Thats false as far as MMA goes. GSP has around 8M buys lifetime, Anderson Silva is #2. Jon Jones is #3. Brock is #4. And Conor is #5 with just over 5M buys. If you are talking avg buys Brock still gots Conor beat slightly.

Although if you wanna count Conor's boxing career PPV's I guess he'd be #1 considering it sounds like that'd get him up to 9M, but to me thats a whole different sport & I'd argue he gets throw into the combat sports numbers then & 5 boxers would have bigger numbers than him still.

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
                      MMA is very relateable to people around the world, and indeed is going nowhere.

Even on the UFC; despite the astronomical sums, it's not even necessarily a bad move by the new owners.

The reason is that corporations don't operate on the same time trajectories, which is because corporations are essentially immortal.

UFC could lose money for the next 20 years, and then make money for the following 40; and theoretically speaking, the company could still do okay (if it is a conglomerate of sufficient resources, and the discounted future-value net returns of the entire 60-year period are positive--or indeed in economic terms, amount to an 'economic profit' of zero.

That's just a theoretical proof essentially; it's not a suggestion that their actual trajectory has anything in common with the description in the prior paragraph.

The principle value in the UFC, however, from the standpoint of the owners is its position as market leader, and it is for this which they paid a hefty premium.
                      Oh no argument from me there I'm just saying it looks like things are in a down cycle now as a fan of MMA & will continue going that way unless some really good moves get made & some guys get popular &/or come outta the woodwork soon.

To me its an easy W for the Fertitta brothers & I understand them getting out despite some people trying to claim they are trying to de-board the Titanic or whatever lol. Or that this purchase is horrible by WME-IMG for the very possible scenario you brought up with its future value.

I mean with the brother specifically if you bought something for $2,000 & now its valued at $5,000,000 who don't sell that to get that profit even if the overall trend is still upwards? A W is relative and thats already a insane W for you. And thats basically the equal to what they purchased & sold the UFC at with 3 more zero's added.

Comment

Working...
                      X