Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd a hypocrite :called AB a cherry picker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This stupid discussion again? Who did he cherrypick?

Comment

• Floyd beat everybody at the right "time".

Comment

• I cant believe Naseem Hamed is only 22nd on the list. Personally I dont think Golovkin,Gonzalez or Klitschko should be on the list. Morales only 18th...It will be interesting who they put in the next 15 p4p fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post

Ok I'll list it for you. Oscar beat the crap out of and ko'ed a prime genero Hernandez years before Floyd fought him. He arguably beat Tito, he beat Quartey, beat Oba Carr, fought a primed roided Mosely which I scored a Oscar winning the first and a draw in the rematch but never the less Mosely was prime and need I remind you roided up(fact), beat a young roided killer in Vargas, beat and ko'ed a very gear fighter in Rafael Ruelas, and lost to a young(for him) Hopkins in a good effort trying to winning the real middleweight title.

Oscar took risk to try and be a true all time great fighter only Floyd could dream about. Oscar lost and won some and as a real true blue boxing fan I have more pride in Oscar resume over Floyds all day long.
          Come on, bruh.

Oba Carr never wore a belt and lost every big fight he had (Tito, Quartey) prior to ODLH. He was solid and could be fun (especially the Bramble fight - which probably should have been a loss for him), but if he didn't have 'KRONK' on the back of his robe, he'd have never gotten as much pub or title shots.

He's a Victor Ortiz level win for ODLH, at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by noStylez View Post
            Floyd beat everybody at the right "time".
            mayweather must be a black highlander that never ages...excuses, excuses, excuses

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              i see why you are bombed as far as how boxing is today. You were a fan at the end of a golden age...fights were cheap to attend live, championship fights on ABC and CBS, PPV was the end all be all for big fights.

Its ironic people criticize Mayweathers opponents past 2006 but they dont realize the guy ended his career fighting and beating 13 world champions and titlists in a row...if thats cherrypicking he not only mastered it, he refined the art with quality opposition with maximum income.

Also when he retired in 07, he came back almost 2 years out of the ring and beat the lightweight champion, JMM.....Regained the lineal title at 147 from Mosley, gained the 154 title and lineage from Canelito and won the biggest financial fight in history. Unified and simaltaneously held the lineal title at 147 and 154. I dont see how that hurt his legacy. He retired with hall of fame credentials and did nothing but add to them from 09-15. It added to his legacy I cant see how you think it hurt his legacy

Also Arum prevented a lot of the fights were wanted because he hand hands in these fights. Mayweather vs Mosley could have happened in the 90s, ODLH vs Mayweather, Cotto all happened soon as they had control over their own careers. Thats no coincidence. Promoters have more control than the fighters.
              Its all good dude. If you are content with who he fought then thats cool with me. But from where I come from I can recognize how much more superior he was against those last 13 defenses. In those last 13 fights where you say they were all champions(in this day in age of many belt holders I call them titlist instead of champions) he was always the overwhelming favorite to win. Did he have guys saying he would lose, yea, but most of them were coming from a sour position towards FLoyds. He was so superior that he never was an underdog, so I was always wanting to see where Floyds ceiling was and really push his skills to the ultimate limit. And IMO he failed in that department and is the main reason even though he is 49-0, he is only ranked around 20th All-Time.

That has always been and will always be my biggest gripe toward Floyd. I can recognize he is an amazing fighter and a great and I will never and have never knocked his skill but I wanted him to push himself into truly significant fights. Fights where I thought damn dude is really taking his legacy serious, but instead we got the businessman Floyd and he only fought for the money. I wanted him in fights that really pushed his skill to the limit and pushed his all-time status to the limit. And regardless of how bad I think this generation of boxing is there were fights out there that could have push him even farther.

But like I said if you are content with his record and who he fought then its all good. I cant knock you or his fanboys on that, since for the majority of his fans Floyds is the only thing they know when it comes to boxing so of course to yall hes amazing and no one is better.
              Last edited by boxinghead530; 04-01-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Its all good dude. If you are content with who he fought then thats cool with me. But from where I come from I can recognize how much more superior he was against those last 13 defenses. In those last 13 fights where you say they were all champions(in this day in age of many belt holders I call them titlist instead of champions) he was always the overwhelming favorite to win. Did he have guys saying he would lose, yea, but most of them were coming from a sour position towards FLoyds. He was so superior that he never was an underdog, so I was always wanting to see where Floyds ceiling was and really push his skills to the ultimate limit. And IMO he failed in that department and is the main reason even though he is 49-0, he is only ranked around 20th All-Time.

That has always been and will always be my biggest gripe toward Floyd. I can recognize he is an amazing fighter and a great and I will never and have never knocked his skill but I wanted him to push himself into truly significant fights. Fights where I thought damn dude is really taking his legacy serious, but instead we got the businessman Floyd and he only fought for the money. I wanted him in fights that really pushed his skill to the limit and pushed his all-time status to the limit. And regardless of how bad I think this generation of boxing is there were fights out there that could have push him even farther.

But like I said if you are content with his record and who he fought then its all good. I cant knock you or his fanboys on that, since for the majority of his fans Floyds is the only thing they know when it comes to boxing so of course to yall hes amazing and no one is better.
                so you hold him being a level over his contemporaries against him?

Honestly, if he fought back in the day, he'd be fighting people closer to his size because of same day weigh in...he probably would have been more dominant

I under stand where you are coming from...its hard to compare era's....though

do you hold that against Roy jones...he never lost in his prime except for dq...Ray Robinson....only lost 1 fight in over 100 something because you had to be bigger to beat him.......if you are as great as they are/were you'll never be the under dog until you lose a step or take a loss

whitaker had no rivals.....pep didnt either til he lost a step...not their fault they were so good

if anything their dominance over their era should add to their legacy...not their fault they were so good

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  so you hold him being a level over his contemporaries against him?

Honestly, if he fought back in the day, he'd be fighting people closer to his size because of same day weigh in...he probably would have been more dominant

I under stand where you are coming from...its hard to compare era's....though

do you hold that against Roy jones...he never lost in his prime except for dq...Ray Robinson....only lost 1 fight in over 100 something because you had to be bigger to beat him.......if you are as great as they are/were you'll never be the under dog until you lose a step or take a loss

whitaker had no rivals.....pep didnt either til he lost a step...not their fault they were so good

if anything their dominance over their era should add to their legacy...not their fault they were so good
                  Well his dominance over his comp does add to his legacy as he is considered around 20th all time. But it could have been even higher if he fought certain guys when they there prime instead of when he did. Plus he skipped a few great fighters along his journey. I know it's not completely his fault certain fights didn't come off when they did. But you have to take into consideration on when he fought these guys. I'm not one who thinks we'll since he beat them when he did he would have automatically beat them in their prime.

Plus I think the level of comp he had with this era doesn't come close or compare to other era's. The comp of the last 10 years is way way down in my opinion and because of that you have to take that into consideration also.

Regardless I know Floyd is a all time great and rates around 20th all time. That's a great spot to be in since his era is so weak. But IMO there were many fights out there for him to fight that for whatever reason didn't come off that could have pushed his all time ranking in the top 10 easily.

Comment

You beat me to it I said the same thing.

I mean look at a guy like ODLH who Floyd was jealous of all his career. Criticize Oscar all you want(fishnets, coke or whatever) but look at who he fought and when he fought them. He fought a prime killer in Trinidad, prime and juiced up Mosley, prime Quartey, a juiced up killer in Vargas, a very good prime Oba Carr, Knocked out a prime Genero Hernandez years before Floyd fought him, KO'ed a very great fighter in Rafael Ruelas, and fought but lost to a young(for him) Hopkins. He may have taken some L's but dude tried and dared to be great along the lines of SRL, SRR, Ali and those guys. Its very hard to make that same statement with Floyd.

Floyd fought some very good fighters but its all about when he fought them.

Giving credit to Floyd for fighting Mosley, Pacman, and Cotto when he fought them, is the same as giving Oscar credit saying he fought the best Chavez Sr.
                    The problem with calling FM's fights cherrypicks is that most of the time, people didn't start saying that until after the fight was over. It's revisionist history.

Cotto, for example, was 31 and coming off a stoppage of Margarito when Floyd fought him. Not a spring chicken but far from shot, Cotto's only losses to that point were to Margarito and Pac. Before the fight, very few were saying that Cotto was washed up...and after the fight, no one said that was a shot Cotto. But years later - now that Cotto has faded - all of a sudden the 2012 Cotto was a cherrypick.

Similarly, Mosley was coming off a TKO win over Mayorga and a KO of Margarito when he fought Floyd. At that point, Shane's only losses were a decision loss to Cotto three years earlier and decision losses to Wright and Forrest more than six years earlier. With Mosley just having destroyed Margarito, no one was saying that it was a cherrypick easy fight for Floyd going into the event - and betting odds were at the lower end of the spectrum compared to other Mayweather fights. But now, almost six years later, with Mosley having lost three more times, people look back at say Mosley was cherrypicked.

If Floyd was cherrypicking, he was doing a bad job of it, as no one thought those fights were cherrypicks going into them. It wasn't until years later that the narrative changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X