No announcement yet.

It Don't Look Good For Saul/Lil G

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
    Good use of facts to support your conclusion. I disagree though. You'll get big numbers from Mexican-Americans, Mexicans and Hispanics in general, that will push this north of 1MM. Canelo-Chavez did 1.2 million. I have no doubt that they'll beat that. They did a great job by bringing Golovkin on stage. Everyone who bought that saw that.
    I hope you are right and that it does well.

But, it's looking shaky.

There just may not be that much disposable PPV dollars available.

You just gave another example.

Canelo-Chavez did a respectable 1.2M...the next month, a better fight between the number one and number 2 P4P fighters only did 130K.

Part of that was horrible promotion, I know.

But, it was a rematch that should have sold itself to the tune of at least 500K buys...I'm guessing the money just wasn't there to be spent after plunking down for the Mexican showdown the month before.

Comment

people on here seem more concerned about how many ppv sales its gonna do instead of whats going to happen inside the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
        you don't count to good brother.

4 million ppv at $100 = 400 million

Floyd contract 100 million
        conor contract 30 million

that's 270 million left. thats double what they paid

and that's not counting the actual gate, movie theater tickets, merchandise, concessions

Showtime is winning
        half of those 400 millon goes to network-cable providers .. 200 million for fighters and promoters is still a lot of money..

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
          people on here seem more concerned about how many ppv sales its gonna do instead of whats going to happen inside the ring.
          Well, it isn't that boxing fans should care much how it affects their favorite fighter's bank account- this fight doesn't have to do spectacularly for both guys to get paid.

But, in the past, both of these men and others have used PPV numbers to justify fights being made or not made.

That is why it is important and always will be as long as the PPV model dominates the sport.

If you are a potential future opponent for either guy, what you will accept or demand will be influenced in part by how many PPV get sold this next go around.

So yeah, as a fan I care.

Comment

You should post this topic when the fight is just a week away.
            Especially when the fighters make their way in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
              I hope you are right and that it does well.

But, it's looking shaky.

There just may not be that much disposable PPV dollars available.

You just gave another example.

Canelo-Chavez did a respectable 1.2M...the next month, a better fight between the number one and number 2 P4P fighters only did 130K.

Part of that was horrible promotion, I know.

But, it was a rematch that should have sold itself to the tune of at least 500K buys...I'm guessing the money just wasn't there to be spent after plunking down for the Mexican showdown the month before.
              I think the fact you have a Mexican fighter is critical. Can't see all your data at moment but how often did those second PPVs have a popular Mexican fighter?

Comment

I would expect it to do about 850k

Comment

I've been waiting for this fight. Somehow it feels like many posters in this site want to see this legit fight to fail, while celebrating the wide reception the freak show got.

This TS obviously hates Golovkin as seen in his "Lil G" title. I could see him celebrating if this fight doesn't get good numbers. Which is not good for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgarcia View Post
                    I've been waiting for this fight. Somehow it feels like many posters in this site want to see this legit fight to fail, while celebrating the wide reception the freak show got.

This TS obviously hates Golovkin as seen in his "Lil G" title. I could see him celebrating if this fight doesn't get good numbers. Which is not good for the sport.
                    I don't hate Lil g.

I just agree with Andre Ward on him.

And, I think he is as much hype as reality.

But, we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
                      I think the fact you have a Mexican fighter is critical. Can't see all your data at moment but how often did those second PPVs have a popular Mexican fighter?
                      2 of the 3 in the OP had very popular Mexican fighters in the second fight.

And one of the other ones I cited featured the #1 vs #2 guys in the sport.

I think if there was no Mayweather/McGregor, this fight does 2M buys easily.

Now?

I am pretty sure it does around a third of that, but again I hope I am wrong and will be happy if I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X