No announcement yet.

Crowds packed California beaches despite shelter in place order

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    He was getting warnings from multiple intelligence reports but his top advisers said they couldn't get him to do anything about it.
    So, basically then, his reaction wasn't out of line with other alien governments, nor was it out of line with historical precedents.

Either way, here we are at damn near April, several months into this crisis, and several weeks after a declaration of national emergency. We can see that his declaration was of little effect.

People are going to the beach in April, but let's talk about January, doe...

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
      People aren't listing now what difference does it make now?
      Two problems with what you just said

#1) You are acting like Trump deriding the virus as a dem hoax / overblown issue at first has no impact on how people are now treating the virus. Of course he is by far not the only influence, but as president is a substantial one.

#2) Just because you can't get everyone to do what you recommend does not make it a bad idea to recommend doing what's in their best interest.

That's like saying "why even tell people smoking is bad, if they're still gonna smoke?" Because they should at least know the dangers before making that choice. If they still do it, then that's on them.

If you went around saying "smoking causing cancer is a hoax" for a couple of months before treating it seriously, I might criticize you.
      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-24-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
        Yeah, my bad. I read CCP as CDC when I responded.

That said, it's still an unfair criticism when it applies to the whole world pretty much. It's especially unfair to say Trump should be criticized for January when we have people in late March still not taking it seriously.
        Lots of people not responding to an issue well doesn't mean we should not say anything to any of them.

Italy should have responded sooner. Should have taken Trump's cue on shutting down access to China. Of course, based on our numbers, that wouldn't have completely fixed the problem.

My real gripe is that I don't think Trump ever thought it was a "hoax". He probably assumed that blocking Chinese nationals and testing people who land in the US was going to completely contain it.

He took it personally when Dems questioned whether this was enough because they always question the decisions he makes. That caused him to double down on his strategy, rather than making other moves. Which is unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
          Two problems with what you just said

#1) You are acting like Trump deriding the virus as a dem hoax / overblown issue at first has no impact on how people are now treating the virus. Of course he is by far not the only influence, but as president is a substantial one.

#2) Just because you can't get everyone to do what you recommend does not make it a bad idea to recommend doing what's in their best interest.

That's like saying "why even tell people smoking is bad, if they're still gonna smoke?" Because they should at least know the dangers before making that choice. If they still do it, then that's on them.

If you went around saying "smoking causing cancer is a hoax" for a couple of months before treating it seriously, I might criticize you.
          I think it's a little different to say "Trump shouldn't have said anything..." Vs "You guys shouldn't be critical of something that has had no effect."

I don't care about what Trump said back in January. My point is that the criticism is invalid. To me, it looks like a rear end accident. The guy in the back car is whining that the first guy should have put his turn signal on. Well, maybe he should have put the signal on, but nonetheless that doesn't excuse the second guy once the brake lights came on.

Comment

Downtown Montreal is a ghost town these days. With the exception of some people walking their dogs, no one is out.

Comment

So, basically then, his reaction wasn't out of line with other alien governments, nor was it out of line with historical precedents.

Either way, here we are at damn near April, several months into this crisis, and several weeks after a declaration of national emergency. We can see that his declaration was of little effect.

People are going to the beach in April, but let's talk about January, doe...
              I'm giving Trump his fair blame. Obviously its not all on him. As for the other countries, that's the fault of their respective leaders.

Comment

I'm giving Trump his fair blame. Obviously its not all on him. As for the other countries, that's the fault of their respective leaders.
                Is it really a fault, though? I don't think it's fair at all to be critical of a reaction that was in line with the majority of the world, and was in line with historical responses to previous epidemics.

Maybe he should have declared martial law on day 1. I can imagine that would have went over real well.

Comment

Is it really a fault, though? I don't think it's fair at all to be critical of a reaction that was in line with the majority of the world, and was in line with historical responses to previous epidemics.

Maybe he should have declared martial law on day 1. I can imagine that would have went over real well.
                  But if he was receiving warnings he should've responded faster. Anyway, I just hope he gets the miltary over to New York soon.

Comment

But if he was receiving warnings he should've responded faster. Anyway, I just hope he gets the miltary over to New York soon.
                    Hopefully you guys get what you need soon. Stay safe.

Comment

Hopefully you guys get what you need soon. Stay safe.
                      Thanks, lad,................

Comment

Working...
                      X