Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Curious Observation About Deontay Wilder.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15 Rounds again View Post
    His Grandmother can tell him whatever she wants - everybody's gramma tells them positive stuff and she probably didnt even say it in a boxing context.
    He fought absolute nobodies for his first what, 30 + fights? Dude, this is boxing- there are levels. You can win 100 fights if you stay at the lower levels. He is not a prodigy, he is a hyped fighter who is extremely raw and lacks boxing skill who has been very carefully managed to get as far as possible against the easiest opponents.
    He lies constantly, curses, has no dignity, could not take defeat like a man - and he ducked unification for over 2 years.
    I do not like him for all of those reasons.
    Here's a prediction for you: when he loses to fury again (for the third time) he will retire because he is not man enough to carry on and test himself against the best like AJ and Whyte and other established guys.
    And don't come back at me with "he took on Fury and Fury is a good one."
    He only took that in because he thought TF was a cherry he could pick, and that cherry punched his lying face in, in front of the whole world.
    He won't fight again after another beatdown, mark my words. This guy has no character- and his fans making excuses about gloves and costumes and stuff, c'mon man it's literally pathetic.
    You know I get so sick and Goddamned tired of hearing you Wilder hater's narrative about Deontay Wilder's resume and how he hadn't fought anyone before he became a contender and a WBC Heavyweight champion to the point that it bores the living shit out of me.

However, it's nothing new. It's a common complaint of all black fighters; Where the bar is set so much higher for them as opposed to Eastern European and white fighters. They have levied this same type of criticism against Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, Jr and Money Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Well, let me ask you a question then. Who else was he supposed to fight back then when he was only a prospect coming up? Give me one name? Name one fighter!

Don't compare him to Joshua either because once he turned pro he received a push from sponsors and advertisers alike because he won the Olympic Gold medal .

So the opponents that Joshua fought couldn't have fought Wilder because he didn't have the deep pockets in order to pay them like a Matchroom Sport could. In addition, he was never the box office draw that AJ was either.

It was never hard for opponents to line up and fight AJ because he was always the money man in the division. It takes money to make fights. It's the bottom line. However, Wilder didn't have much of it to lure enough of them to want to fight him.

Why didn't Klitschko fight Wilder back in 2017 after coming off his hiatus? It's because Joshua was able to offer him more money.

However, you Deontay Wilder haters always blame him when fights fail to produce instead of checking his opponents for pricing themselves out.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
      You know I get so sick and Goddamned tired of hearing you Wilder hater's narrative about Deontay Wilder's resume and how he hadn't fought anyone before he became a contender and a WBC Heavyweight champion to the point that it bores the living shit out of me.

However, it's nothing new. It's a common complaint of all black fighters; Where the bar is set so much higher for them as opposed to Eastern European and white fighters. They have levied this same type of criticism against Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, Jr and Money Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Well, let me ask you a question then. Who else was he supposed to fight back then when he was only a prospect coming up? Give me one name? Name one fighter!

Don't compare him to Joshua either because once he turned pro he received a push from sponsors and advertisers alike because he won the Olympic Gold medal .

So the opponents that Joshua fought couldn't have fought Wilder because he didn't have the deep pockets in order to pay them like a Matchroom Sport could. In addition, he was never the box office draw that AJ was either.

It was never hard for opponents to line up and fight AJ because he was always the money man in the division. It takes money to make fights. It's the bottom line. However, Wilder didn't have much of it to lure enough of them to want to fight him.

Why didn't Klitschko fight Wilder back in 2017 after coming off his hiatus? It's because Joshua was able to offer him more money.

However, you Deontay Wilder haters always blame him when fights fail to produce instead of checking his opponents for pricing themselves out.
      Why you always make s**t about colour? You mad bro.

Comment

Damn i didnt even realize I was watching a HOLY WAR!

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
          James 1:8

“A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

Walt Whitman:

“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes.”

Originally posted by Legends456 View Post
          As a Christian myself.

A proud and open Christian, online, cool. I'm going to ask you some ****, let me preface by saying I've no issue with your faith and I have no intention on belittling anything. I know y'all get a lot of ****, this isn't that.

Also, I'm not trying to talk you out of Christianity or being a boxing fan. I'm just curious.

So, here's the thing about Christian boxers and boxing fans. I can not figure out how you are not all heathens....and I do mean this respectfully...with respect, you're a heathen

Let me explain:

Boxing starts out as a military martial art from Sparta. That's the factual birth of boxing, but, the mythical involves Apollo. Boxing his his sport and he is the god of boxing. All the Greeks and Romans believed Apollo was the god of boxing absolutely. He invented it, brought it to mortals and taught them how to do it, and to perform boxing, to watch boxing, to train boxing, are all religious things. Not unlike Jesus bringing the wine and such culture to his religion. There is, let's call it disconnect, between then facts of the being and the story surrounding them but their impact on their people is very powerful.

When boxing becomes illegal is does so across Pope controlled Christendom for two reasons:

1.) Boxing is a rite in honor of Apollo. It is worship of another god.

2.) Man is made in the image of god and to disfigure that image on purpose is heresy.

2 is kinda.....what? I guess but 1 makes sense.

Why should religion only be prayer from the knees? If the ancient Greek God says he doesn't give a **** if you pray to him, in fact he'd rather you didn't, he doesn't care if you go to his house, in fact he doesn't like mortal visits and requires a conduit between the two to act as a buffer.

If by Apollo's religion to box is to worship Apollo then all boxers are acolytes to Apollo.

Our first refs and judges are priests.....It is his ceremony not unlike Jesus with wine and *******s.

So i wonder and have wondered but never really find a way to work in to natural conversation, how to christians rationalize boxing today?

If I made a pentagram and cut up a chicken and pray to Baron Samdi to honor the Baron God then I highly doubt you, a good Christian man, would want to take part in this rite, but, couple of gloves, good fights, good solid Christian pass time?

I don't think you want to dance for th Thunderbird for to bring the rain do ya?

Ironically, Apollo is all sorts of relative to the bad guy in your religion. Loads of scholars believe he's the inspiration for Satan....you know, atheist scholars....so sometimes a bit narrow minded.

Apollyon

Lucifer

Destroyer

Deceiver

Light Bringer

Am I talking about Satan or Apollo? they are similar.

It came up when the muslims found a statue of Apollo is the sea and blew it up. A few years back it was all over the news. At first I was like damn why the ****, then they explained Apollyon the Destroyer had risen from the sea as their text said he would and they did what their God said to. Glory be to Allah, they were not wrong....from their POV......I sure woulda liked that statue in a museum or some such.

Since then I've wondered how it is Christians have separated themselves from very specific edicts to modernize their religion. The bible does tell you not to perform pagan rites....and that's all boxing is.

And if you God is real and story is true....aren't you just being deceived by the Deceiver? Doesn't it makes sense for the world to be in turmoil under Apollo/Satan's time until Jesus washed it away only for him to wait for a time when people forgot his face, his name, and his religion?

Sorry if it's all theo-philo BS to you. Just interesting as **** to me.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post

You whipping out the race card yet its a stone cold fact that wilders resume stinks. White men say it, Europeans say it and African Americans say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post

James 1:8

“A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

Opinions are welcome
              God's mightiest servant was King David.

If a fighter is with God, he is humble to God as David was. Praying to God to beat someone up or believing you will win because you are the "bigger/better Christian" wont earn you a victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                Walt Whitman:

“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes.”

A proud and open Christian, online, cool. I'm going to ask you some ****, let me preface by saying I've no issue with your faith and I have no intention on belittling anything. I know y'all get a lot of ****, this isn't that.

Also, I'm not trying to talk you out of Christianity or being a boxing fan. I'm just curious.

So, here's the thing about Christian boxers and boxing fans. I can not figure out how you are not all heathens....and I do mean this respectfully...with respect, you're a heathen

Let me explain:

Boxing starts out as a military martial art from Sparta. That's the factual birth of boxing, but, the mythical involves Apollo. Boxing his his sport and he is the god of boxing. All the Greeks and Romans believed Apollo was the god of boxing absolutely. He invented it, brought it to mortals and taught them how to do it, and to perform boxing, to watch boxing, to train boxing, are all religious things. Not unlike Jesus bringing the wine and such culture to his religion. There is, let's call it disconnect, between then facts of the being and the story surrounding them but their impact on their people is very powerful.

When boxing becomes illegal is does so across Pope controlled Christendom for two reasons:

1.) Boxing is a rite in honor of Apollo. It is worship of another god.

2.) Man is made in the image of god and to disfigure that image on purpose is heresy.

2 is kinda.....what? I guess but 1 makes sense.

Why should religion only be prayer from the knees? If the ancient Greek God says he doesn't give a **** if you pray to him, in fact he'd rather you didn't, he doesn't care if you go to his house, in fact he doesn't like mortal visits and requires a conduit between the two to act as a buffer.

If by Apollo's religion to box is to worship Apollo then all boxers are acolytes to Apollo.

Our first refs and judges are priests.....It is his ceremony not unlike Jesus with wine and *******s.

So i wonder and have wondered but never really find a way to work in to natural conversation, how to christians rationalize boxing today?

If I made a pentagram and cut up a chicken and pray to Baron Samdi to honor the Baron God then I highly doubt you, a good Christian man, would want to take part in this rite, but, couple of gloves, good fights, good solid Christian pass time?

I don't think you want to dance for th Thunderbird for to bring the rain do ya?

Ironically, Apollo is all sorts of relative to the bad guy in your religion. Loads of scholars believe he's the inspiration for Satan....you know, atheist scholars....so sometimes a bit narrow minded.

Apollyon

Lucifer

Destroyer

Deceiver

Light Bringer

Am I talking about Satan or Apollo? they are similar.

It came up when the muslims found a statue of Apollo is the sea and blew it up. A few years back it was all over the news. At first I was like damn why the ****, then they explained Apollyon the Destroyer had risen from the sea as their text said he would and they did what their God said to. Glory be to Allah, they were not wrong....from their POV......I sure woulda liked that statue in a museum or some such.

Since then I've wondered how it is Christians have separated themselves from very specific edicts to modernize their religion. The bible does tell you not to perform pagan rites....and that's all boxing is.

And if you God is real and story is true....aren't you just being deceived by the Deceiver? Doesn't it makes sense for the world to be in turmoil under Apollo/Satan's time until Jesus washed it away only for him to wait for a time when people forgot his face, his name, and his religion?

Sorry if it's all theo-philo BS to you. Just interesting as **** to me.
                No I enjoy your well thought out, historical posts and am not offended by your questions, not do I think it is bs.

I think if you asked ten different boxers or boxing fans who followed Christianity the same question, you’d likely get ten different answers.

All I can speak for is myself.

Christianity, unlike folk religions strongly associated with a single culture or ethnic group, is a proselytizing faith that began as an offshoot of Judaism but had to absorb other cultures as it spread. This did happen a lot in Ancient Greek culture where Christianity had many converts. There is even a chapter in the Bible about this (Acts 15) where the church leaders are debating how this should look in the everyday life of the new converts.

Here is an informative discussion on what the church elders decided about the Greek converts in Acts 15, if you are interested:

https://apologeticspress.org/apconte...1&article=2276

The main things they said a Christian must avoid are meat sacrificed to idols, drinking an animal’s blood, and sexual immorality/orgies and the like...

With that said, St. Paul himself uses illustrations in his writings in the Bible about Christian spiritual discipline being similar to the mental and physical discipline athletes must use and even talks about boxing as well as running (I Corinthians 9:26).

I myself actually did used to have some concern if it was okay for me, a Christian, to be so heavily interested in boxing for some of the reasons you mentioned, so your questions aren’t strange or offensive or shocking to me. I think for me, after examining scriptures I came to the conclusion that there are only a few things I am specifically forbidden from, and with a lot of the “gray areas” what was most important to God is my intent and attitude in the situation.

The Christian God commands I not hate my brother. So if boxing, I wouldn’t go into it with an attitude of hatred, only professionalism. TBH, if I had a serious beef with someone I wouldn’t even box with them.

Other things could be said, but that is just an example about my own views on Christian intent and attitude in boxing.

Boxing, at least boxing in American culture, is still a sport (albeit a combat sport) and I think that it and MMA (which, let’s be honest, similar to your argument, there are many reasons that can be made about the origins of martial arts in Asian religious beliefs that might run contrary to Christianity— just saying) are fair game for the Christian as fighting is a part of living in this fallen world and a good skill to have to defend yourself and your family (although there are Christian mystics and pacifists and I respect that there is a place for that as well, but not everyone is called to that lifestyle, just like even the Bible honors celibate believers but states not everyone is called to that lifestyle, hence the sacrament of Christian marriage)

With regards to Apollo being the god of boxing, similar arguments can be made about many other things or activities. Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, but does that make hunting a practice that I, as a Christian, must abstain from? Most would say no.

As a Christian, though many would laugh at this, I believe in those en****** being real, spiritual en****** of some sort or another — Apollo, Baron Samdi, Odin, etc. However, regardless of my cultural background (and I’ve got a pretty diverse one) I believe that Jesus Christ was/is strong enough to take me out from under their rulership and into his kingdom by putting my trust in his sacrifice at the cross. So now I am not serving them and/or the devil and the sway they hold over this world. I am serving Christ as my King, but I must do so according to his teachings, which mostly involve living a life of love toward my neighbor and faith in God.

In conclusion, I don’t feel I am dishonoring God in being a boxing fan. I’ve never fought competitively but I have always enjoyed being more of an bookish person and don’t want to take the possible damage to my brain. I would have no problem being involved in boxing for religious reason it is more for the practical reason that I want to still be able to to engage in interesting conversations like this one when I’m old

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  What's with this all this God/Religious stuff lately? lol since when did that ever become a factor in boxing matches?
                  It comes up every now and then, last time I remember it in boxing was with Andre SOG Ward and some of the back and forth he had with Sergei Kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by Legends456 View Post
                    No I enjoy your well thought out, historical posts and am not offended by your questions, not do I think it is bs.

I think if you asked ten different boxers or boxing fans who followed Christianity the same question, you’d likely get ten different answers.

All I can speak for is myself.

Christianity, unlike folk religions strongly associated with a single culture or ethnic group, is a proselytizing faith that began as an offshoot of Judaism but had to absorb other cultures as it spread. This did happen a lot in Ancient Greek culture where Christianity had many converts. There is even a chapter in the Bible about this (Acts 15) where the church leaders are debating how this should look in the everyday life of the new converts.

Here is an informative discussion on what the church elders decided about the Greek converts in Acts 15, if you are interested:

https://apologeticspress.org/apconte...1&article=2276

The main things they said a Christian must avoid are meat sacrificed to idols, drinking an animal’s blood, and sexual immorality/orgies and the like...

With that said, St. Paul himself uses illustrations in his writings in the Bible about Christian spiritual discipline being similar to the mental and physical discipline athletes must use and even talks about boxing as well as running (I Corinthians 9:26).

I myself actually did used to have some concern if it was okay for me, a Christian, to be so heavily interested in boxing for some of the reasons you mentioned, so your questions aren’t strange or offensive or shocking to me. I think for me, after examining scriptures I came to the conclusion that there are only a few things I am specifically forbidden from, and with a lot of the “gray areas” what was most important to God is my intent and attitude in the situation.

The Christian God commands I not hate my brother. So if boxing, I wouldn’t go into it with an attitude of hatred, only professionalism. TBH, if I had a serious beef with someone I wouldn’t even box with them.

Other things could be said, but that is just an example about my own views on Christian intent and attitude in boxing.

Boxing, at least boxing in American culture, is still a sport (albeit a combat sport) and I think that it and MMA (which, let’s be honest, similar to your argument, there are many reasons that can be made about the origins of martial arts in Asian religious beliefs that might run contrary to Christianity— just saying) are fair game for the Christian as fighting is a part of living in this fallen world and a good skill to have to defend yourself and your family (although there are Christian mystics and pacifists and I respect that there is a place for that as well, but not everyone is called to that lifestyle, just like even the Bible honors celibate believers but states not everyone is called to that lifestyle, hence the sacrament of Christian marriage)

With regards to Apollo being the god of boxing, similar arguments can be made about many other things or activities. Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, but does that make hunting a practice that I, as a Christian, must abstain from? Most would say no.

As a Christian, though many would laugh at this, I believe in those en****** being real, spiritual en****** of some sort or another — Apollo, Baron Samdi, Odin, etc. However, regardless of my cultural background (and I’ve got a pretty diverse one) I believe that Jesus Christ was/is strong enough to take me out from under their rulership and into his kingdom by putting my trust in his sacrifice at the cross. So now I am not serving them and/or the devil and the sway they hold over this world. I am serving Christ as my King, but I must do so according to his teachings, which mostly involve living a life of love toward my neighbor and faith in God.

In conclusion, I don’t feel I am dishonoring God in being a boxing fan. I’ve never fought competitively but I have always enjoyed being more of an bookish person and don’t want to take the possible damage to my brain. I would have no problem being involved in boxing for religious reason it is more for the practical reason that I want to still be able to to engage in interesting conversations like this one when I’m old
                    Great post bud, very informative. I very much appreciate it.

The second to last paragraph touches home a bit. I don't make a big thing about it, I don't actually walk around talking about Zeus, but, when things don't go my way I do blame the old god of the thing and threaten it with Jesus.

For example, if the wind blows too cold or knocks over something I need standing, that's Hanuman, who i guess is still a living God unlike Apollo but still, it works. Hanuman knocks over my kid's basketball hoop, I'll be talking **** to him while I fix it in the form of "Don't make me pray to the Son of Man"

Because of all gods, Jesus is my favorite. Including his dad...that one's a bit of a dick.

I don't worry about what's real and what isn't. Newton proved to me I lack the skills when he did his net. I only worry about what I know happened.

I know before the story of Jesus is around the world is into thing like eating ten year old boys to get wolf powers....it's a Zeus rite, in honor of Zeus. They used to drop babies from cliffs. They used to murder their own children to cheer and applause. Who cares if it's real? After the story that **** stopped or at least went on the decline.

Story, man, stories, gods, real, fake, meh....once we killed eachother and our kids because he thought it'd bring the rain, now we don't....Jesus, character, man, or god, did that.

So it's just fun to think of the old gods as real but weak and the best god, the most powerful god as a god who always has your back.

Edit- I just need to end this properly cause I brought it close and dropped it:

Jesus doesn't knock over children's play equipment. Hanuman will, he's a dick. Jesus will help you put it back though.
                    Last edited by Marchegiano; 03-04-2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                      Great post bud, very informative. I very much appreciate it.

The second to last paragraph touches home a bit. I don't make a big thing about it, I don't actually walk around talking about Zeus, but, when things don't go my way I do blame the old god of the thing and threaten it with Jesus.

For example, if the wind blows too cold or knocks over something I need standing, that's Hanuman, who i guess is still a living God unlike Apollo but still, it works. Hanuman knocks over my kid's basketball hoop, I'll be talking **** to him while I fix it in the form of "Don't make me pray to the Son of Man"

Because of all gods, Jesus is my favorite. Including his dad...that one's a bit of a dick.

I don't worry about what's real and what isn't. Newton proved to me I lack the skills when he did his net. I only worry about what I know happened.

I know before the story of Jesus is around the world is into thing like eating ten year old boys to get wolf powers....it's a Zeus rite, in honor of Zeus. They used to drop babies from cliffs. They used to murder their own children to cheer and applause. Who cares if it's real? After the story that **** stopped or at least went on the decline.

Story, man, stories, gods, real, fake, meh....once we killed eachother and our kids because he thought it'd bring the rain, now we don't....Jesus, character, man, or god, did that.

So it's just fun to think of the old gods as real but weak and the best god, the most powerful god as a god who always has your back.

Edit- I just need to end this properly cause I brought it close and dropped it:

Jesus doesn't knock over children's play equipment. Hanuman will, he's a dick. Jesus will help you put it back though.
                      Lol Thanks, Marchegiano... I enjoyed your post. It’s nice when people can converse about controversial topics like religion with respect like this. Brightened my day.

Take care.

Comment

Working...
                      X