Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the boxing community laugh at fighters that quit on their stools?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FCUK NO!!

I don't believe in quitting per se, but if you can't do nothin...you can't do nothin. Why take the punishment and get seriously injured.

Comment

even if i tried, i dont think i could laugh at Kostya

Comment

if the fighter wanna quit then let him quit...safety before anything. however, it depends on the situation at hand. if the fighter is losing but can still go till the end..but suddendly quits...then he has no heart. if the fighter is bleeding a pint of blood then let him quit so he won't lose the deadly dose

i think that no one has the right to call a boxer a coward if they haven't had punches flyin at them for 36 mintues straight.

Comment

I certainly dont laugh at them for quitting but certain instances a fighter should be questioned.

Lamon Brewster quitting against Wlad for example. You don't call your opponent a sackless sissy and question his heart leading up to the fight and then quit yourself when the going gets tough.

Comment

Depending on the circumstances it may be considered dissappointing...but until someone has been punched in the face, head, ribs, stomach, and arms a hundred times or so by a professional boxer they shouldn't laugh at someone. Unless you've been in a professional bout you have no idea what that person is going through or how they feel.

Comment

I could never laugh at a fighter, no matter the record or method of loss.

The fact of the matter is, this person LIVES to fight. They make the sacrifices that you and I just talk about in front of our computers.

Most of us will never kniow what it takes to do what they do on a professional level. And for someone to laugh at a fighter for electing to NOT get his brains beaten out and losing clarity and a future of happiness with his loved ones is absolutely pathetic.

Comment

I do have to say that the first time I sparred and got hit by a big right hand was the most memorable "WTF?!" moment of my adult life.

I still haven't really gotten used to it as I don't get in there often enough to really do so. I have Gatti cheekbones and when I fight regularly I end up with a perpetual black eye which is a problem in my line or work.

If you have been at a boxing gym it is more common for a guy to get it the ring once, get hit a couple times and then quit than it is for them to stick around and tough it out.
                My trainer put me in to spar with a guy once that weighed 350 and could barely move. First time I cracked him in the ribs and saw the look on his face I knew I wouldn't be seeing him again lol...

I'm sure nobody wants to believe that they are that guy but more than half the people who read my post would go out the same way as Charlie Zelenoff were they to step into a boxing ring tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                  I certainly dont laugh at them for quitting but certain instances a fighter should be questioned.

Lamon Brewster quitting against Wlad for example. You don't call your opponent a sackless sissy and question his heart leading up to the fight and then quit yourself when the going gets tough.
                  Lamon didn't quit. Buddy McGirt stopped the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
                    Lamon didn't quit. Buddy McGirt stopped the fight.
                    if you want to get technical about it yeah.

Lamon however could have gotten himself another round or two if he had wanted it. Buddy says "I'm gonna stop the fight"

Lamon: not even a whisper....

Comment

I don't think any dude typing on a keyboard can accuse a professional boxer (who gets punched in the face for a living) of being a coward.

I know it seems cool and heroic to say that you'd die a warrior's death rather than quit on a stool, but what do most people know about being in the pro ring? It's a totally different story when you're the one cut and bleeding from everywhere, seeing birds from head shots, and feeling like you're going to piss blood from body shots all night.

Comment

Working...
                      X