Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro boxers in the Olympics....would they dominate??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    Yes, and the pros know that and would be looking for the kill from the opening bell since they won't worry about gassing or feel out rounds. Also, aren't they gonna remove the headgear this year? Terrible idea unless you want to see a lot of kids get hurt.
    If you start looking for the kill you could end up being in serious trouble. A Feel out round is also important so you know what your opponent brings to the table. Not all pros are aggressive minded big punchers so it wouldn't be a good idea to change the way you fight thinking you can end the fight early.

They have not used headgear for the last three years and that makes amateur boxing even more fun nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Long term, perhaps, I meant getting hurt at the actual competitiom.
      Yea protecting from cuts is about all headgear is good for. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of big amateur fights get stopped on cuts doe so its not typically a big deal.

Comment

My question is: how will the weight work?

Amateurs usually have weigh-ins the day of the fight. Pros cut a lot more weight and have weigh-ins the day before.

I don't see many pros being able to fight in their normal weight divisions.

Maybe this has already been addressed, but it just crossed my mind.

Comment

The Olympics are right around the corner. When are the pros supposed to qualify? There is only a few more spots left per division as well.
          I think people are paying too much attention to this.
          I believe they would also have to give up their Professional Licenses and sign under their country's national federation. There are several countries with representatives already. I doubt many pros are going to want to do all of that. There are just so many things that aren't being looked at.

Even if some pros wanted to fight at the Olympics they would be fighting a weight class or two higher since almost every pro goes up 10-20 pounds overnight. In the amateurs you weigh-in everyday you compete. You weigh-in a few hours before your fight, so you really can't rehydrate too much especially as I mentioned before you'll have to make weight again the next time you fight. Which could be as early as the next day.

Amateur boxing should stay Amateur boxing and Professional boxing should stay Professional boxing imo.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
            It's not 12 rounds. We're talking about 3 or 4 rounds. A slow start and you lose. I'd love to see the pros in the Olympics because it would make the Olympic boxing even more interesting. I have a feeling that many of the pros will fail big time.
            Thats like pro basketball or football players playing against college kids..there are levels to this ****..especially when we are talking elite level boxers

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer1590 View Post
              My question is: how will the weight work?

Amateurs usually have weigh-ins the day of the fight. Pros cut a lot more weight and have weigh-ins the day before.

I don't see many pros being able to fight in their normal weight divisions.

Maybe this has already been addressed, but it just crossed my mind.
              Yep, that's another issue, they are weighed frequently and have to maintain that weight so there is no blowing up before the fight. It's yet another reason of many of why we won't see many pro's at all in the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by larrys.o.g View Post
                Thats like pro basketball or football players playing against college kids..there are levels to this ****..especially when we are talking elite level boxers
                These guys are elite level amateur boxers. Don't be so quick to write them off. I love to see the pros take part of the Olympics. I just don't see the pros having an easy time knocking them out and just straight up dominate like so many people seem to think.

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
                  The Olympics are right around the corner. When are the pros supposed to qualify? There is only a few more spots left per division as well.
                  This is what I was wondering. There are a couple Qualifiers left so that would seem like one way. I think the last one starts on June 7. I also noticed some divisions have something called a tripartite commission invitation so that could be another way a pro gets in. There is a story on BS right now where Usyk is saying he was offered a spot by AIBA, but he declined so it seems like they are actively trying to find pros to fill spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                    But does Salido win against Lomachenko under Olympic rules?
                    Olympics is no head gear 10 point must. Salido was ahead after 4.

Comment

Canelo is another pro that would be fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X