Why few supported Mayweather fights before he became "Money"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why few supported Mayweather fights before he became "Money"

Originally posted by SpeedKillz
    i think that you think that you made a clever thread topic, but I know that you failed. people dont give mayweather his props because everything in life needs a villain and a hero, and mayweather is the latter, thats why. anyone with eyes knows what he can do in the boxing ring, and it hurts to admit the truth sometimes, hes just the best, sorry haterz...
    Actually you're wrong and right.

Before the rise of "Money Mayweather", Floyd was already the heir apparent for the best fighter of this era and the P4P#1 boxer in the world.

He was soft spoken, well mannered, and he had already accomplished great things before ever even reaching 140lbs.

Despite all this, Mayweather got very little respect and little support.

He wasn't a villain then. So how do you explain that?

I'll tell you.

Arum knew that if he had a boxer whose talents were greater than his need to be heavily promoted by Top Rank's services and could conceivably fight and beat anyone around him, Arum would have to keep that fighter on an extremely short leash. This was why Arum pulled that crap with there not being enough money in the DLH fight to guarantee Mayweather's demand.

Once Floyd got figured out that he could leave Arum and take home a much bigger portion of the money, Arum got the boot and has a vendetta against Floyd ever since.

The "Money" persona was just a way to make Floyd the most marketable commodity in boxing. And it worked. Floyd knew that he didn't have the fanbase to lend him the support necessary to rise to the top. So the only way to make that happen was to capture the attention of the masses and keep it ... even if it wasn't in the "Aww shucks .. thanks guys" kind of manner.

All that said, its important to keep in mind that Mayweather wasn't getting the support BEFORE all of this.

And its simply because Black fighters are like Black NBA players: There are tons of them. No one is going to stand up and take notice of another Black fighter winning unless he's knocking everyone .. and I mean EVERYONE out. He'd literally have to be the next Mike Tyson.

Let there be a Native American that can really bang, or a kid from Iceland who is as slick as Sweet Pea, or the next Mike McCallum "the body snatcher" be an Aborigine from the Outback ... they will be stars simply because its so rare.

The only way a Black fighter is ever going to get the support that these other ethnicities are getting is if he literally knocks each and every opponent out.

Just ask Roy Jones, who was the second coming of Ray Robinson and was the most dominant boxer of his era and some other eras before that.

Ask Bernard Hopkins who broke the title defense record, but was all but obscured to anyone who wasn't a hardcore boxing fan.

Ask James Toney, who was P4P#1 before Jones was. He also went up and won at HW. The man has the defensive wizardry of both Floyd and Whitaker. And they didn't call him "Lights Out" for nothing.

The list goes on.

After nearly 100 years of dominating the sport, a Black doing well in boxing isn't making any headlines.

Now if Floyd could just make the transition to tennis, hockey or the Tour de France ...

Floyd's always been a great fighter. It's just now he has over bearing fans who are obsessed more with his character than his actual fighting (though most won't admit it).

It's pretty obvious he used the Money persona to sell fights.

Comment

Floyd was always Money, but it took the platform of 24/7 to unleash that persona. It's not like he was a PPV failure or anything before the Oscar fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Floyd was always Money, but it took the platform of 24/7 to unleash that persona. It's not like he was a PPV failure or anything before the Oscar fight.
        That just goes to show how long you've been watching boxing.

Thanks for confirming it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post

During the first Castillo fight, all the announcers talked about for the first few rounds was Floyd telling them the type of things about how he wanted big money fights that he constantly says now. He was always Money, even if it wasn't his nickname yet.

Comment

Why does Brother Jay always speak the truth? I don't know.
            Floyd's own persona makes him uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              During the first Castillo fight, all the announcers talked about for the first few rounds was Floyd telling them the type of things about how he wanted big money fights that he constantly says now. He was always Money, even if it wasn't his nickname yet.
              Floyd's been a pro since 1996.

Try understanding that. Then try to understand that the guy has been on top since his 18th fight 2 years later.

Understand that the Castillo fight was 6 years after his debut.

That's a lot of time to have a change of heart and assess what he felt needed to be modified.

Please stop pretending that you know what you're talking about.

Bluffing your way through this conversation by citing what you happened to see in a single fight doesn't make you informed.

Don't be jealous.

Comment

Actually you're wrong and right.

Before the rise of "Money Mayweather", Floyd was already the heir apparent for the best fighter of this era and the P4P#1 boxer in the world.

He was soft spoken, well mannered, and he had already accomplished great things before ever even reaching 140lbs.

Despite all this, Mayweather got very little respect and little support.

He wasn't a villain then. So how do you explain that?

I'll tell you.

Arum knew that if he had a boxer whose talents were greater than his need to be heavily promoted by Top Rank's services and could conceivably fight and beat anyone around him, Arum would have to keep that fighter on an extremely short leash. This was why Arum pulled that crap with there not being enough money in the DLH fight to guarantee Mayweather's demand.

Once Floyd got figured out that he could leave Arum and take home a much bigger portion of the money, Arum got the boot and has a vendetta against Floyd ever since.

The "Money" persona was just a way to make Floyd the most marketable commodity in boxing. And it worked. Floyd knew that he didn't have the fanbase to lend him the support necessary to rise to the top. So the only way to make that happen was to capture the attention of the masses and keep it ... even if it wasn't in the "Aww shucks .. thanks guys" kind of manner.

All that said, its important to keep in mind that Mayweather wasn't getting the support BEFORE all of this.

And its simply because Black fighters are like Black NBA players: There are tons of them. No one is going to stand up and take notice of another Black fighter winning unless he's knocking everyone .. and I mean EVERYONE out. He'd literally have to be the next Mike Tyson.

Let there be a Native American that can really bang, or a kid from Iceland who is as slick as Sweet Pea, or the next Mike McCallum "the body snatcher" be an Aborigine from the Outback ... they will be stars simply because its so rare.

The only way a Black fighter is ever going to get the support that these other ethnicities are getting is if he literally knocks each and every opponent out.

Just ask Roy Jones, who was the second coming of Ray Robinson and was the most dominant boxer of his era and some other eras before that.

Ask Bernard Hopkins who broke the title defense record, but was all but obscured to anyone who wasn't a hardcore boxing fan.

Ask James Toney, who was P4P#1 before Jones was. He also went up and won at HW. The man has the defensive wizardry of both Floyd and Whitaker. And they didn't call him "Lights Out" for nothing.

The list goes on.

After nearly 100 years of dominating the sport, a Black doing well in boxing isn't making any headlines.

Now if Floyd could just make the transition to tennis, hockey or the Tour de France ...
                LMAO ON POINT AS USUAL.

The "MONEY" persona is a facade, and he has told everyone that.

Its like watching wrestling back in the day. Rick Flair, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat.

Looking at him (RIC FLAIR) he looks like an ordinary buffoon. I mean as Kids, no one wants to be the bad guy. Playing cops and robbers no one wishes to be the robber. But you see this bad guy image gets you noticed. Everyone points fingers and says that the bad guy. Ric Flair played that role very well, and made millions wrestling... FAKE WRESTLING AT THAT!! So if you the masses can be excited and tricked over something obviously fake, simply imagine real life!!! So Floyd threw them a bone and said its not really me its entertainment. But hes gonna go crazy on 24/7, the world will hate him and people will buy the fight to see him lose, and some to see him win. The true boxing fan isnt in enough quantity to pay such exuberant purses. Floyd figured this out a while ago. So the sheep, peasants, masses are needed. I heard many casual fans saying Floyd is a d1ick when he was facing Ortiz... Yet none of them were smart enough to catch on that Victors sob story and his dream of beating Floyd as a kid was pure bullcrap... Even though they knew how old Ortiz was !!! lol Because the peasants / sheep are ruled by emotions...

Its like Floyd getting in trouble.

AS PRETTY BOY FLOYD, RARELY ANYTHING HEARD ABOUT WHAT HE WAS EVEN DOING!!!!

HERES PRETTY BOY...

One thing I noticed about the masses is that they can so easily be tricked. They really think that Floyd cares about how they feel about him, if that was truly the case, he would have been lost. They are only happy when they (peasants) see this.

And wait for it..... Even this is an act!!!! This shows the frail side, and keeps him talked about even while retired. Floyd was talked about more when he was retired than most champions in any given division...lol. Everyone back in the day that watched the old wrestlers knew x1 thing... That the bad wrestler time and again would act like he was good only to double cross someone .... But the partner or other wrestler seem oblivious to the deception going on. The masses would scream watch out at their tv's as Flair double crossed an opponent.

But at the end of the day it was an act.
                Bro the masses couldnt tell the difference then and they cant now.

Those arenas are packed for fake wrestling, not by kids persay, but goddamn adults!! I remember it was something that my mother/father took me to back in the late 80's to see as a child. But I already knew the outcome because I knew it was fake.

These are the same guys here now on boxingscene. Cant distinguish fake from reality, hence they hate the cowboys, patriots, celtics, lakers. THEY SIMPLY HATE WINNERS, THEY GREW UP WATCHING SESAME STREET WHERE orphans got along and singed and played games, and now they hate life because they think life truly sucks. To them it does because they grew up watching fantasy life on TELEVISION IPROGRAMMING

I simply was instructed by my mother and father as a child to deal in facts and reality. No santa, easter bunny etc.

If you started a thread on wrestling you would see how many pac nutthuggers would jump on that ***** so fast!!!!

But Floyd learned a thing or 2 from the wrestling bit... all of them did, CONTROVERSY SALES. Heres Floyd's best friend with none other than the NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR LOL!!!

OH THE IRONY!!! LMAO

Notice the unimportant peasants in the background staring lol.

Comment

Floyd's been a pro since 1996.

Try understanding that. Then try to understand that the guy has been on top since his 18th fight 2 years later.

Understand that the Castillo fight was 6 years after his debut.

That's a lot of time to have a change of heart and assess what he felt needed to be modified.

Please stop pretending that you know what you're talking about.

Bluffing your way through this conversation by citing what you happened to see in a single fight doesn't make you informed.

Don't be jealous.
                  Jealous? Of what? I'll say it again, he was always Money. He just needed the platform to become a success, and when he got it he ran with it.

Comment

He's right....Floyd was getting booed for being cocky since he was fighting in ballrooms. Floyds always been Floyd, 24/7 just gave him the exposure to show a bigger audience. He might have turned his persona up a bit around 2007 but its always been in him.
                    Last edited by Come∂ian; 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X