Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Buster Douglas Really Beat Mike Tyson??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not a weak argument. In fact, it is clear that this fellow did a remarkable amount of research. Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson up all night long in that fight. Only once did he slip, and only once did Mike take advantage of it. While Mike was out of his element that night for several reasons including Douglas's skill, he was still smart enough to seize an opportunity. Sometimes one punch is all it takes in the heavyweight division.

I imagine that the punch truly rocked Douglas, but rather than get hit by an inevitable combo that was sure to follow, he goes straight down to take a breather. The count of ten was clearly passed due by the time Douglas stood up, and, the referee stopped the count at nine while James wasn't fully upright yet. This doesn't excuse, however, the fact that Mike didn't take advantage of his shaken opponent and finish him off in the 9th round. Sometimes mistakes are made, whether by the fighters or the refs, and it's the job of a professional to press on regardless of those mistakes. Clearly, the derailing of Mike Tyson was beginning before this fight took place and he allowed it to get the best of him when he had a chance at all-time glory. Regardless of the bad counting, regardless of the circumstances around Mike, regardless of the investigations that followed, Mike Tyson lost the fight before he even stepped into the ring. Physical and mental preparation are both required to perform at one's best in the ring, and you could see it on his face when the announcer was introducing him; he wasn't there.

Comment

• Tyson won this fight. He is the greatest. And if it wasnt for the rape convition, we would have seen Tyson fight Buster again. And Im sure Tyson would knock him out in 1 round. Id put my money on an 88' Tyson vs ANYONE. I remember when lots of people actully thought Spinks would beat Tyson, 91 seconds is all it took to settle that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Tyson77
        Tyson won this fight. He is the greatest. And if it wasnt for the rape convition, we would have seen Tyson fight Buster again. And Im sure Tyson would knock him out in 1 round. Id put my money on an 88' Tyson vs ANYONE. I remember when lots of people actully thought Spinks would beat Tyson, 91 seconds is all it took to settle that.

Head-to-head, Tyson ranks fairly highly for me. Accomplishment wise - he isn't top 10 for me. He is JUST outside. I would pick Foreman, Ali and Liston over Tyson. Plus Louis, Frazier, Marciano and Dempsey as possibilities, along with Holyfield and Lewis. The only ones I would bet on are Foreman, Ali and Liston.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Tyson77
          Tyson won this fight. He is the greatest. And if it wasnt for the rape convition, we would have seen Tyson fight Buster again. And Im sure Tyson would knock him out in 1 round. Id put my money on an 88' Tyson vs ANYONE. I remember when lots of people actully thought Spinks would beat Tyson, 91 seconds is all it took to settle that.
          tell that to douglass, holyfield, lewis, williams, and mcbride.

Comment

• Originally posted by butterfly1964

why do u always mention those ppl when ali lost like 5times also. leon ****in spinks

Comment

• i never understand why people pick foreman and liston over tyson

- tyson is too fast for liston

- tysons MUCH FASTER, shorter punches would get inside foremans long loops and punish him. tyson would be beating foreman to the punch every second. tysons combinations would tear apart foreman.

Comment

• Originally posted by butterfly1964

Or tell that to Leon Spinks, Trevor Berbick, Larry Holmes, Frazier or Norton who arguable beat him twice.

Tyson is the greatest

Comment

• Originally posted by SuzieQ49
                  i never understand why people pick foreman and liston over tyson

- tyson is too fast for liston

- tysons MUCH FASTER, shorter punches would get inside foremans long loops and punish him. tyson would be beating foreman to the punch every second. tysons combinations would tear apart foreman.
                  Cus D'Amato used to show a young Tyson the film of Foreman destroying Frazier and told Mike that NO SWARMING HEAVYWEIGHT COULD EVER BEAT FOREMAN. Tyson was the reason Foreman came back. Foreman knew he could beat Tyson and Tyson knew it to and was "scared ****less of Foreman". Read the article "WHY WE NEVER SAW FOREMAN-TYSON" by Frank Lotierzo on boxingscene archives.
                  Last edited by smasher; 03-25-2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• Tyson vs Liston

it would be close but i could see Tyson beating liston

tyson vs Foreman i'd have to give it too foreman

Foreman's just too strong for tyson's chin

Comment

• Originally posted by smasher
                      Cus D'Amato used to show a young Tyson the film of Foreman destroying Frazier and told Mike that NO SWARMING HEAVYWEIGHT COULD EVER BEAT FOREMAN. Tyson was the reason Foreman came back. Foreman knew he could beat Tyson and Tyson knew it to and was "scared ****less of Foreman". Read the article "WHY WE NEVER SAW FOREMAN-TYSON" by Frank Lotierzo on boxingscene archives.
                      yeah, i was gonna say the same thing, but you beat me to it, smasher.

tyson would get murdered by foreman and liston, their styles would matchup badly for tyson, plain and simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X