Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you surprised that Marquez fought very well against Pacquiao in 2011?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you surprised that Marquez fought very well against Pacquiao in 2011?

Before the 3rd fight I thought Pacquiao would steamroll, and destroy the older,and much smaller JMM

Many people thought that JMM even won the fight. and I picked JMM to KO Pacquiao in their fourth fight because I knew that Pacman was gonna be Gun blazing after being robbed in the bradley fight.

Marquez proved that he is every bit of great as pacquiao is

Comment

Absolutely.

Everybody foolishly gave Marquez no chance based on Marquez performance at 147 against Mayweather and how destructive the 147 Pacquaio looked.

Crazy looking back in hindsight but that was how most felt. Most expected him to be stopped in 6.

Comment

Nah. Marquez' style was always a problem for Pacquiao.

Comment

That was a cherrypick gone wrong.....pacquiao thought that jmm was ripe....fact is, pacquiao wouldn't even convincingly beat a 50 yr old jmm.

Comment

I went to this fight and as a big Marquez fan I was concerned. Pacquaio had adapted to the weight and figured Marquez would struggle with the extra size and was coming in mainly for the paycheck.

After 2 rounds I thought "what a minute Marquez looks comfortable in there" and then after 4-5 rounds I thought he's going to pull it off because he was outboxing Pacquaio like in the other fights but had managed to offset Pacquaio's explosiveness. Marquez knew exactly how to fight Pacquaio and I overestimated the perceived physical advantages Pacquaio would hold in the fight.

Interestingly before the fight Nacho was asked "Is Pacquaio a better fighter now", he said "yes", so he was asked "How do you beat him?", Nacho said something to the affect that because he's more well rounded now he's better technically and because of that he's a little easier to predict. He nailed it.

Marquez won 116-112 but 115-113 is perhaps acceptable just as 117-111 was.

Comment

no minus the KD's marquez always held his own with pacquaio.

Comment

not really. the boxer had 24 rounds to study the puncher going into that fight. i remember a lot of my little buddies who had written marquez off eating crow after that one.

pacquiao ahd shown signs of just the slightest bit of slippage in the margarito and mosley fights. he was also not hte killer he used to be. was a senator. was letting guy soff the hook, touching gloves and joking around with shane, the guy was already starting to lose his edge. the writing was on the wall. marquez was still a hungry fighter.

once you become a senator you are past your prime as a boxer. that's just a fact. you won't be the same fighter you used to be.

Comment

I was pretty surprised that Marquez did as well as he did with the weight BUT had a feeling that he'd always give Pac problems because of his style. But the crazy part is that Manny did better in the fourth fight(Went back to his old style) but he sacrificed his defense(after he got knocked down, he was in rage mode and was beating up Marquez) but payed the price for it.

Comment

Was he really fighting well? He was losing almost every round and got dropped, got a lucky punch cause pac thought the round was over.

Comment

Working...
                    X