Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Where Does Roy Jones Belong On The List Of Greatest Boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd put him top 15. Out of best recent boxers only pac would be above him

Comment

Top 20 ATG.

Comment

To answer the author's question I won't rate RJJ as one of the true greats for one simple reason; the manner in which he responded to adversity - which is the very essence of boxing and the true measure of a fighter. This is the reason The SRR's, Ali's, Louis's and the Duran's are considered the greatest.. They came back from terrible losses, yada, yada, ect, ect..

Let's be clear. It wasn't being past his prime that caused RJJ's record to go from 47-1 (should have been 48-0) to 18-8 (w/ 5 knockout losses). That's bull****. It was Antonio Tarver.

Tarver took his confidence. Tarver took his soul. On an EPIC scale.. So much so that almost anybody could KO Roy after Tarver was done with him.

Love and respect to Roy but that isn't what greatness is or means. Call him the "best" in his prime but don't call him great. Certainly not ATG.

Comment

Another writer who fails to address the fact that Roy tested positive for PED's. I was a fan of Roy's style as much as the next guy, but I wish you people wouldn't pick and choose which ones you like to call out for cheating.

Comment

Rjj is a childhood hero of mine, he ruled boxing when i first started watching so he holds a special spot in my list but i have to keep it real, he wasted his prime years fighting mostly bums. Had he retired after winning heavyweight title how many great fighters would he have fought? toney, bhop anyone else? Good wins over mike, griffin and ruiz too but compare that resume to other atg and it pales.

Physically 1 of the most gifted fighters ever and he has left a massive mark on boxing with his style, aint no one fight like he did. Pascal, haye and bunch of others tried to imitate him but it goes to show to hard it is to fight like that.

Overall im disappointed in rjj, his resume just doesnt stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              No amount of losses change what he did or take away what he achieved. Why would they tarnish anything? Did losses to Williams and McBride tarnish Tysons legacy? No.

RJJ is easily one of the greatest boxers ever. In his prime quite possibly THE goat.
              ?? Is that not the big knock on Tyson? That when "people stood up to him" he was nothing but a hollow bully? That's the specific criteria by which fans and analysts cite when reducing Tyson's value as an ATG. That is the consensus view.

If you're just stating your opinion I respect that but I've had this beaten over my head for too many years not to address your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by HURTFEELINGS View Post
                He's the P4P goat, because he started at 154 and won the Heavyweight Championship. PLUS you dont judge people in any sport by when they were past there prime. So the only GOAT is TBE if you wanna judge entire careers, he beat more champs, made more money (this is prize fighting), and in the PPV era he's top 4 the ENTIRE TOP 4. So its either Roy or Floyd.
                You people understand that boxing is 80-90% mental???

No. You don't. Clearly.

Roy's decline had NOTHING to do with his physical abilities. Perhaps you should go back and watch his career from the Glen Kelly fight forward to present time so you're properly informed.

Comment

When fantasy matching I use primes. Rating careers different. In prime Roy one of best all time spider man reflexes exposed later when slower like Ali had poor def technique.

Comment

RJJ was very very good AND extremely entertaining! I mention this because many fail to realize sports are and REMAIN an entertainment! It's not about winning, not about money, it's about giving a good show and pleasing the fans! The antithesis of this is Mayweather...

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                      You people understand that boxing is 80-90% mental???

No. You don't. Clearly.

Roy's decline had NOTHING to do with his physical abilities. Perhaps you should go back and watch his career from the Glen Kelly fight forward to present time so you're properly informed.
                      Are you are 80-90 mental? RJJ had incredible physical abilities and this type of fighter always start fading when their reflexes get dull with age. Specially when moving up in weight...

Comment

Working...
                      X