Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rising boxing nations and future super powers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tamis! View Post
    Where's that opinion coming from?

You can't have that level of thinking when majority of boxing's greats (almost if not all 90%) came from the amateur ranks.
    Where you got that number from? Only 3 people in the Ring's top 10 P4P won an olympic medal.

Comment

kazakhstan have been an amateur presence for a while now, but they don't seem to turn pro. brazil and algeria seem to be on the up.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Most pros aren't, either. lol

And who's to say the kids with the "professional styles" will do better than the gold medalists? Boxing is still, in it's purest form, a sport of hit and don't be hit. That's what Olympic boxing is all about, even with all its flaws. The way I see it, the best amateurs will be able to adapt when the time comes. The others will tend to fail as pros, too.
        The best amateurs? I don't know one Olympic medalist from the last games that's made a worthy impression in the pro ranks. The system is too flawed as it is. Some programs have begun to teach the style mist suitable fit the Olympics and because of that they win medals but as pros they look like ****. It was bad in the 90s as well but now its much worse. There's basically almost no correlation between the two anymore and the olympic s is a poor indication of any pro potential

Comment

When your opponent is playing to hurt you the game changes greatly.

Play chess where you get an electric shock when you lose a piece, which increases with each lost piece. Now while some of the best would be able to handle the change and still be the best, a different group who can handle that pressure would emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            The best amateurs? I don't know one Olympic medalist from the last games that's made a worthy impression in the pro ranks. The system is too flawed as it is. Some programs have begun to teach the style mist suitable fit the Olympics and because of that they win medals but as pros they look like ****. It was bad in the 90s as well but now its much worse. There's basically almost no correlation between the two anymore and the olympic s is a poor indication of any pro potential
            Part of the reason is that most of the medal winners from the 2008 Olympics are still too young to have made an impact in the pros. Another major reason is that most came from countries (like China and Cuba) where pro boxing is either new, unimportant or non-existent.

James DeGale, 26, of Great Britain, won gold in the middleweight division; he is now 12-1 as a professional. Yordenis Ugas, the bronze medalist from Cuba, is also 26; he is now 11-1 as a pro. I wonder how many fighters with similar professional experience but no amateur background have done as well.

I don't deny that the gap between Olympic boxing and the pro version has widened considerably over the years, but I do believe that talented amateurs tend to make talented pros.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post

Play chess where you get an electric shock when you lose a piece, which increases with each lost piece. Now while some of the best would be able to handle the change and still be the best, a different group who can handle that pressure would emerge.
              Being an avid chess player myself, I can definitely relate to that example. It would probably increase my level of play. lol

Comment

Being an avid chess player myself, I can definitely relate to that example. It would probably increase my level of play. lol
                Or decrease it~ it changes the whole thought process of a person if they are going to get hurt if they mess up or even just get outdone. Some people can deal with that pressure better than others. It can also lead to a complete unraveling because you would need to be able to pull yourself together and make the proper move, if not then it will quickly become a downward spiral.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post

Great analogy.

You play online? I'll tap anybody in here, any chess player CAN get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    Great analogy.

You play online? I'll tap anybody in here, any chess player CAN get it.
                    Used to play on ICC years ago. Only recently got into tournament play. Currently have a rating of 1658, after 16 games. PM me, maybe we can play sometime.

Comment

India is producing some good talent, hope some of them go pro soon. Kazakhstan to. Irish amateur boxing is on the rise and if even half of our talented fighters go pro we will have some very pro's.

Btw to the guy who said Pacquiao had no amateur career, thats BS, he was on the Philippine national team.

Comment

Working...
                      X