No announcement yet.

Anyone else notice Espinosa sitting with Arum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
    hmm, I completely forgot about tru tv....that's a good point then.

Bob did question why HBO allows Golovkin so many mismatches and yet some of his fights are denied...perhaps this is just a case of every-relationship-has-its-disagreements. Otherwise I was merely considering the possibility of TR also using SHO. I do feel it's unlikely there would be a falling out with HBO because of some declined match-ups.
    I think TR would have a lot more to lose than gain by trying to work with Showtime. Alot of Bob's rant was directed at Peter Nelson, but Nelson was at Bob's house on Saturday w/o issue. Bob's allowed to go off on rants and speak his mind, but at the end of the day there's big business to be had with current fighters like Pac/Bradley and future like Lomo/Crawford/Verdejo.

Arum recently announced intentions for an independent ppv from Mexico City, with Rameriz, Valdez, and he's trying to get Gonzalez/Villoria to headline - saying he doesn't want to be completely reliant on Turner money. That was kind of their drive behind the Latin Fury series, so they might be bringing that back in order to keep developing their young fighters.

I see Main Events is doing some work with Showtime, but I think that might be part of the lawsuit which was dropped when Main Events sued Haymon/Showtime for the Stevenson signing.

Comment

Arum was hosting a lot of people this week...including Peter Nelson of HBO to go over the Brooks-Rios fight.

It would seem to be in Top Rank's best interest to get along with HBO, and Arum knows that.

I think that's evidenced in the coments Arum recently made about it not being "fair" to HBO or Top Rank to rely so heavily on HBO.

That's why Arum is talking about doing more pay per view shows to keep his fighters busier.

Arum has also been looking at other revenue streams...whether it's Macau, where he's had success, or Dubai, where so far he hasn't, or whether that's partnering with TV Azteca to do pay per views in Mexico, or whatever.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, Rios; promoter, Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti and HBO Sports vice president Peter Nelson spent part of Friday night at Arum;s house in Beverly Hills going over details of the American television deal for the bout.
      http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...ork-to-be-done

;Were going back to our roots, like when we had (Hall of Fame junior flyweight champion) Michael Carbajal,; Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday after the final news conference promoting his HBO card topped by Timothy Bradley-Jessie Vargas at the StubHub Center on Saturday night. It was important for him to fight regularly and to get him a date on HBO or a network was difficult, so we did these pay-per-view shows with him and Chiquita (Gonzalez). And we did OK on them.

Its not fair to us or to HBO for us to be dependent on the HBO (money). HBO has to be able to accommodate other people. They cant always accommodate us but that shouldn;t impact on our fighters.
      Were going to do the show in conjunction with (Mexican network) TV Azteca, which will cut down on a lot of our expenses, Arum said. We have a good site fee in Mexico and it is designed for us to break even at 50,000 to 60,000 buys, which we should be able to do.
      http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...ow-from-mexico
      Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
        Arum has also been looking at other revenue streams...whether it's Macau, where he's had success, or Dubai, where so far he hasn't, or whether that's partnering with TV Azteca to do pay per views in Mexico, or whatever.
        That's what real promoters do. Unlike Gary Shaw.

Comment

Working...
        X