No announcement yet.

Getting hit and throwing punches at same time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hit and throwing punches at same time

Didn't have the greatest sparring session today, today was my second time to spar in almost 3-4 months, and man did I feel the rust.

But I took away one thing today that I'm doing wrong and I want some good advice.

I have this problem where If im throwing a combo, and I get tagged in the middle of throwing, even if it isn't a hard shot, it knocks me out of rhythm and I usually don't finish my combo, it's like it makes me lose concentration or something. I'm assuming this will probably go away with more sparring sessions but it's the first time iv'e noticed myself doing it and I dont know how to kick the habit. I'm not afraid to get punched, I get hit all the time but I would be more effective if I could somehow ignore it or time the incoming punches better. I see more experienced guys able to withstand the punch and land their punches at the same time.

Possible mistakes:
    - combination thrown is to long or a fantasy combination which doesn’t work
    - to much concentration on throwing, incoming counter not visible
    - wrong stance / angle / to predictable/ wide open
    Or simply just not experienced enough

Comment

Originally posted by Commie View Post
      Possible mistakes:
      - combination thrown is to long or a fantasy combination which doesn’t work
      - to much concentration on throwing, incoming counter not visible
      - wrong stance / angle / to predictable/ wide open
      Or simply just not experienced enough
      This is very sensible advice. Your combos should consist of approximately 3-5 punches. More than that and you're overdoing it. Stole this from 'Mighty Fighter':

"Don’t Waste Punches: Your combinations, especially as a beginner, should mainly be in two’s and three’s. Anymore than that means that you’re leaving yourself exposed for longer and you may be wasting punches. Every punch should have a meaning behind it and throwing 5-6 punches in a row would mean that one or two of those punches may serve no purpose."

If you're mainly throwing short combos, getting tagged (and losing concentration as a result) will be much more difficult. Best of luck!

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice.

I usually only throw a 1-3 punch combo. Part of the problem today was the guy was quicker, so that was probably part of it. But I think its a mental thing. Sometimes I throw a one, two (with the intention of throwing a 3), and only end up throwing the one and two because im getting tagged at the same time and lose focus. I also either feel like im either too tense, or too relaxed. It's hard for me to find that midway point of alert relaxed.

Comment

One younger fighter I help train is really good at throwing in combination, but he doesn't bring his hands back all the way to his chin, which causes him to get hit mid combination (particularly when sparring an opponent that is bigger than him, which is most guys he spars).

So make sure you bring your hand back to your chin everytime.

I also would recommend not throwing more than a 3-4 punch combo at first. Unless you have a combo where you are shifting to create angles, blocking punches as part of the combo, or rolling/slipping as part of the combo. (ie jab slip, one two, slip, one two three roll out)

Comment

Yeah, make sure you are quickly bringing your hands back straight to your chin every time you punch.

Check if you are telegraphing your punches.

Check if maybe you are punching too wide. Your straight shots should be nice and straight, your hooks and uppercuts should be moving short distances.

Review how to defend against jabs, how to defend against right hands, how to defend against hooks, etc.
            Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

When you get caught in between punches if the guy can crack it is easy to get stopped. Perhaps incorporating more movement upper body and side stepping, and picking when to throw combinations better. Feinting can cause the other guy to have a hard time, timing your movement also. Also if you are fighting a top notch guy then possibly throwing less punches in a combo. 6 and 7 punch combinations are beautiful but you are not realistically going to land those on everybody and it is risky with a good counterpuncher.

Comment

Working...
              X