Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder vs Lennox Lewis (who has the more powerful right hand)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible to really say as we can't measure their punches or have fighters they both fought to give us a direct comparison. But I'd say Lewis, he simply fought and KO'ed far, far better opposition.

Wilder's best KO is a 38 year old Ortiz and we don't even know if Ortiz has a decent chin, he never fought a puncher before Wilder. Jennings, Thompson his best wins were not punchers, if you look at Ortiz's record he hasn't fought a single puncher until Wilder.

Comment

Wilder has the more powerful right hand whether you want to admit it in the poll or not. Not even Lewis will be stupid enough to say his own right hand is as powerful as Wilder's. The lack of objectivity on this forum is what is really downright pathetic. You don't have to like Wilder but in terms of a God-given, possibly never seen before, weapon, Wilder's right hand is that.

Haters will keep making excuses - e.g. Lewis fought the better opponent (another lie). What does opposition have to do with a person's chin? Chin is chin. Who has ever hit people like Wilder and have the responses they have shown? Only person close was Tyson. But whatever Wilder will never get his due credit until his career is over.

Comment

Originally posted by sotgoda View Post
        Wilder has the more powerful right hand whether you want to admit it in the poll or not. Not even Lewis will be stupid enough to say his own right hand is as good as Wilder's. The lack of objectivity on this forum is what is really downright pathetic. You don't have to like Wilder but in terms of a God-given, possibly never seen before, weapon, Wilder's right hand is that. Haters will keep making excuses - e.g. Lewis fought the better opponent (another lie). What does opposition have to do with a person's chin? Chin is chin. Who has ever hit people like Wilder and have the responses they have shown? Only person close was Tyson. But whatever Wilder will never get his due credit until his career is over.
        Yes, Lewis has fought the better opponents. That's just a fact! Wilder has only fought 2 or 3 opponents ranked in the top 10. He'd have to test his right hand against the likes of Joshua, Parker, Povetkin, Pulev, Miller, Brezeale and etc. to have comparable level of opposition that Lewis tested his right hand against.

And he'll also have to test his right hand against durable opponents like Carlos Takam, Andy Ruiz Jr, Dereck Chisora, Mariusz Wach and so forth so on to again, prove how powerful he really is against durable opponents comparable to the durable opponents that Lennox Lewis tested himself against.

Wladimir Klitschko and Lennox Lewis have hit their opponents and got similar type of responses that Wilder's opponents gave too.

It's just a fact that better level of opposition is more difficult to KO.
        Last edited by Mr Objecitivity; 03-08-2018, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
          Yes, Lewis has fought the better opponents. That's just a fact! Wilder has only fought 2 or 3 opponents ranked in the top 10. He'd have to test his right hand against the likes of Joshua, Parker, Povetkin, Pulev, Miller, Brezeale and etc. to have comparable level of opposition that Lewis tested his right hand against.

And he'll also have to test his right hand against durable opponents like Carlos Takam, Andy Ruiz Jr, Dereck Chisora, Mariusz Wach and so forth so on to again, prove how powerful he really is against durable opponents comparable to the durable opponents that Lennox Lewis tested himself against.

Wladimir Klitschko and Lennox Lewis have hit their opponents and got similar type of responses that Wilder's opponents gave too.

It's just a fact that better level of opposition is more difficult to KO.
          Mr Objectivity - chin is chin. Lewis may have fought better opposition. All I am saying is what other fighter have you seen hit people and get the reaction that Wilder's opponents show? That's all I am saying here. A better opposition will protect his chin but even when hit flush, Lewis's oppositions did not respond like Wilder's. That's my point. No one is questioning Lewis's credentials. I think he is top 5, worst case top 10 ever.

Comment

Mr Objectivity - chin is chin. Lewis may have fought better opposition. All I am saying is what other fighter have you seen hit people and get the reaction that Wilder's opponents show? That's all I am saying here. A better opposition will protect his chin but even when hit flush, Lewis's oppositions did not respond like Wilder's. That's my point. No one is questioning Lewis's credentials. I think he is top 5, worst case top 10 ever.
            Well, go ahead and watch some of Wladimir Klitschko's knockouts to see the reactions some of his opponents gave after he knocked them out. An example would be the knockout over Phil Jackson.

Even Lennox Lewis has knocked some opponents out who gave very unusual responses too.

A boxer who has never been knocked out before is usually the tougher chin to crack than an opponent who was knocked out before. And a boxer who has faced other power punchers and still hasn't been knocked out is usually the boxer with the most proven chin.

I can tell you now that Lennox Lewis has cracked many tough chins. Can you say the same for Deontay Wilder?

Comment

Wilder has the more powerful right hand whether you want to admit it in the poll or not. Not even Lewis will be stupid enough to say his own right hand is as powerful as Wilder's.
              Lewis isn't a stupid man. His words to Wilder are probably germane here:

"I love Deontay Wilder's confidence. You need that to sit atop the heavyweight division. He's hungry and shows up in probably the best shape in division but there are levels to it and he's still adding to his arsenal.

"My best advice to the entire crop of young heavyweight champs is to focus on being the best of YOUR era out of respect and reality. It's unprovable. Of course people asked but I found no need to speculate or compare myself to my idol [Muhammad] Ali or any other of the past greats.

"History will decide your place among the all-time greats so go out there, clean up the division, defend your title, reign supreme and your work will speak for itself."
              Wilder needs to keep fighting top level opposition if he wants to silence those critics that cite the lack of quality in his 40 pro fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
                Well, go ahead and watch some of Wladimir Klitschko's knockouts to see the reactions some of his opponents gave after he knocked them out. An example would be the knockout over Phil Jackson.

Even Lennox Lewis has knocked some opponents out who gave very unusual responses too.

A boxer who has never been knocked out before is usually the tougher chin to crack than an opponent who was knocked out before. And a boxer who has faced other power punchers and still hasn't been knocked out is usually the boxer with the most proven chin.

I can tell you now that Lennox Lewis has cracked many tough chins. Can you say the same for Deontay Wilder?
                Mr. Objectivity, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. The fact that a boxer has not been knocked out before does not mean that they have a tougher chin to crack. It is not inclusive that way. There is the possibility that such a boxer may be able to protect his or her chin better than others.

Does Wilder have as good a chin as Duhuapas? In my opinion, NO. He doesn't. It has nothing to do with whether it has been cracked before or not. This is exactly my point. Whyte has been knocked out but he may have a better chin that AJ. We can't tell that - just because AJ has never been knocked out, it does not mean he has the better chin.

So, the chin is one aspect. The other aspect is how opponent respond when hit with the right hand. I think the reaction of Wilder's opponents are some of, if not, the worst, you will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
                  Lewis isn't a stupid man. His words to Wilder are probably germane here:
                  Holler, Lewis's words are good but I think he needs to take his own advice too. He talks out of both sides of his mouth as every great does. He says he would be able to take anyone - he will be too much for this generation. How do we know that? He could have or he could have had more losses. What if he was on PEDs or all of them were then? How do we know?

Then, he says be the best you can in your generation. You see what that is? Same thing he did when defending Tyson. He did not even acknowledge that he fought Tyson much latter in his career but said Wilder has not faced someone like Tyson. Has Lewis or Tyson faced anyone like Wilder? No. It works both ways.

Look, I don't want to disrespect Lewis in anyway. I like him as a fighter - although my favorite before Wilder was Vitali. I think he had the dog in him - just like I think Wilder does. I am just saying all of us human beings are hypocritical and never perfectly objective in the things we say or do. That's all.

Comment

Mr. Objectivity, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. The fact that a boxer has not been knocked out before does not mean that they have a tougher chin to crack. It is not inclusive that way. There is the possibility that such a boxer may be able to protect his or her chin better than others.

Does Wilder have as good a chin as Duhuapas? In my opinion, NO. He doesn't. It has nothing to do with whether it has been cracked before or not. This is exactly my point. Whyte has been knocked out but he may have a better chin that AJ. We can't tell that - just because AJ has never been knocked out, it does not mean he has the better chin.

So, the chin is one aspect. The other aspect is how opponent respond when hit with the right hand. I think the reaction of Wilder's opponents are some of, if not, the worst, you will see.
                    NO! Science indicates that when a person gets knocked out once, that person's punch resistance almost always decreases and they are easier to knock out the next time. And if a boxer has been knocked out twice, then it's even easier to KO that boxer the third time and so forth so on.

I think we can both agree that KO'in an opponent who is less likely to be KO'ed is more impressive than KO'in an opponent who is more likely to be KO'ed. Correct?

An undefeated / UN-KO'ed opponent is less likely to be KO'ed than a previously KO'ed opponent most of the time because their chin is more proven.

An undefeated / UN-KO'ed opponent who has faced other power punchers is less likely to be KO'ed than another undefeated opponent who hasn't faced many power punchers due to a more proven chin.

A higher ranked opponent who is of a higher quality level is more difficult to KO than a lower ranked opponent who is of a lower quality level.

These are the things one has to look at to evaluate how impressive a boxer's KO record is, rather than just their KO percentage or quantity.

The thing is, I've seen Wladimir Klitschko knocking out opponents (with both hands) just as brutally as Deontay Wilder knocking out opponents.
                    Last edited by Mr Objecitivity; 03-08-2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Lewis right hand was thrown straight down main street. He fought a who's who of the division in his era. Hard to find a way to compare but imo Lewis had the better shot.

Comment

Working...
                      X