Clear All

• Roberto Duran's resume outside of Leonard 1

Next best wins

1.DeJesus 3
    2.Marcel
    3.Buchannon
    4.DeJesus 2
    5.Palomino

How far would he drop if Leonard 1 never happend?

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    Next best wins

1.DeJesus 3
    2.Marcel
    3.Buchannon
    4.DeJesus 2
    5.Palomino

How far would he drop if Leonard 1 never happend?
    It depends if he stayed at lightweight and continued blowing out opponents. Of course he had trouble making welterweight so making lightweight is probably out of the question.

He clearly he did not have the same punch at welterweight that he had at lightweight. Pac has kept his power. Duran didn't.

He would drop a bit - going up in weight and beating an ATG counts.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
      It depends if he stayed at lightweight and continued blowing out opponents. Of course he had trouble making welterweight so making lightweight is probably out of the question.

He clearly he did not have the same punch at welterweight that he had at lightweight. Pac has kept his power. Duran didn't.

He would drop a bit - going up in weight and beating an ATG counts.
      Assume everything goes percisely the same except that fight doesn't happen.

IMO Duran goes from top 5 of the last 40 years to somewhere from 15-20

Comment

ask Davey Moore and Barlkey if he had power above LW!

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Assume everything goes percisely the same except that fight doesn't happen.

IMO Duran goes from top 5 of the last 40 years to somewhere from 15-20
          At first look - I have no argument with that. He would definitely drop out of the TOP 5 of the last 30 years. (although his best fights are now more than 30 years old).

Time sure flies.

Comment

I think outside of Leonard 1, the Moore fight was his greatest accomplishment. Think about it Moore was undefeated, had every physical advantage, plus youth on his side and the fight was in his hometown. Duran whipped his azz with guts, boxing savy and a hard right hand. He ruined Moores career that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
              I think outside of Leonard 1, the Moore fight was his greatest accomplishment. Think about it Moore was undefeated, had every physical advantage, plus youth on his side and the fight was in his hometown. Duran whipped his azz with guts, boxing savy and a hard right hand. He ruined Moores career that night.

Would you rate Moore ahead of Palomino Marcel Dejesus or Buchannon as fighters? Or are you giving Duran more credit because he was an underdog?

Comment

No doubt the Moore fight was great. (As a side note I was a big Duran fan and was cheering my a** off when he fought SRL the first time.) As good as the Moore and Barkley fights were -- he was not the same fighter. He was unbelievably relaxed in the ring and was able conserve energy that way, but his lack of conditioning hurt him, and of course he was getting older.

At the time I felt he should have retired after the Hagler fight - and definitely after the Hearns fight. Was he competitive afterwards? Hell yes. He was competitive in his 40s. He was what 45 or 46 when he fought Camacho? But still the speed, the relative power was gone. It's like watching Shaq or Kevin Garnet - still good, but a shaddow of what was.

Comment

Trojan, do you think Duran was the underdog in the Palomino,Marcel, Any of the DeJesus fights,Buchanon fights? If you do , you are WRONG as usual!

Comment

Trojan, do you think Duran was the underdog in the Palomino,Marcel, Any of the DeJesus fights,Buchanon fights? If you do , you are WRONG as usual!

Where the hell did you get that from? I asked if he was giving Duran extra credit for beating Moore because Duran was an underdog in that fight not the other fights? You really need to work on your reading comprehension

Comment

Working...
                    X