No announcement yet.

Your opinions: Has boxing progressed or regressed:Modern vs 60's-80's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
    Tyson used to be the highest paid athlete in America more than Mayweather, Times have changed.
    Mayweather is the highest paid boxer ever, and likely the highest paid athlete.

Comment

weaker of course.. but to younger fans like myself it's all we know so I'll live.

Comment

It has progressed just as football, basketball, video games, technology, fuel efficiency, which makes Floyd Mayweathers feats so remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMARS View Post
          It has progressed just as football, basketball, video games, technology, fuel efficiency, which makes Floyd Mayweathers feats so remarkable.
          fuking *****

Comment

It's watered down no doubt, if you took away all the jr divisions it would be amazing all the talent and fights that would have to happen. Also all the paper titles water it down and make it look weak.

All I know is that everyone says that today's fighters suck compared to years past but that's always been going on even if you look back at articles written even 100 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
              I respect your opinion, but in my eyes if Lenox couldnt really dominate a past his prime Evander..then I cant see how he would be able to step into the ring againts the great heavy weights of the past, Lenox was a good heavy weight but I dont think he would be able to hang with the likes of a prime Foreman,Shavers or Frazer Norton etc..

And yes Lenox had a nice heavy accurate jab, and his right hand was nothing to sneeze at either. But his chin wasnt all that and I cant see how it would hold up againts a hard hitting dynamic HW.
              But Lewis did dominate an elite Holyfield. It was the first fight and it was a embarrassingly one sided teaching of boxing by Professor Lewis.

The 2nd fight was closer because Lewis was half asleep. Even than it was still 7-5. Everyone know Lewis was just there to collect the belts oweed to him from the first fight.

These two guys boxed 24 rounds and Lennox won 17 of 24 rounds against an still elite Holyfield. Evander became totally shot AFTER the 24 rounds with Lennox which saw him take a beating from multiple right hands.

I watched the fights again, Holyfield attempted to lay out the blueprint he had for Tyson on Lewis and failed miserably.

Commander Evander wasn't as 'past prime' as people will like you to think. He was always in shape and most likely take steroids to get him stronger prior to each fight. There has been no concrete evidence he was juicing against Lewis, but the signs were all there.

Also, I don't get why you think Holyfield vs Lewis have any implication on Lewis vs Frazier or Lewis vs Foreman.

Two totally different fighters with night/day styles. Holyfield would have taken Frazier out too.

I agree that boxing has regressed overall in terms of skill level ,but this over hyping of the 60's-70's Heavyweights has got to stop.

Evander,Lennox,Bowe,Tyson all could have beaten a vast majority of the 'golden era' legends.

The fantastic four of the 90's HW'S at their very best was nothing to scoff at. I'm not even talking about Prime late 80's Tyson. Even the elite early 90's Version of Iron Mike would have been a nightmare for any 70's boys.

Comment

As a whole it has regressed. It's not nostalgia, hell, I'm more into boxing now than I was in the 80s (I barely watched it at all), but it's not hard to see by watching the fights that as a whole, the skill levels of the fighters have regressed.

You're still gonna have exceptions though, certain fighters that would be successful in any era.

Comment

Working...
                X