Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we be celebrating Columbus Day?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have to celebrate everything that a person did to commemorate something they did.

George Washington owned slaves; we celebrate his birthday (sort of).

The Declaration of Independence wasn't really written with blacks or women in mind; we celebrate its signing annually.

Groundhogs tear up my friggin' yard; we have a day devoted to one.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      We don't have to celebrate everything that a person did to commemorate something they did.

George Washington owned slaves; we celebrate his birthday (sort of).

The Declaration of Independence wasn't really written with blacks or women in mind; we celebrate its signing annually.

Groundhogs tear up my friggin' yard; we have a day devoted to one.

dude you've got 874 guns and you have a groundhog problem?

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
        dude you've got 874 guns and you have a groundhog problem?
        It would be criminally reckless for me to fire a weapon in a residential neighborhood for the sole purpose of getting rid of groundhogs.

That's what landmines are for.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          It would be criminally reckless for me to fire a weapon in a residential neighborhood for the sole purpose of getting rid of groundhogs.

That's what landmines are for.

Comment

Don't really care one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
              Agree on the whole how do you discover something that's already been discovered lol
              There are quite a few inventors who are famous for "inventing" things that were already invented.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
                Jesus christ, when people say Columbus 'discovered' America, they don't mean he was the first person to discover that land, they mean he was the first person from the 'old world' to discover that land inhabited by the indigenous Americans, as prior to this contact, as far as we know, there was no contact between the peoples of the Americas and those of Europe, Africa & Asia.

But anyway, now that I say that, I remember reading about how Vikings actually made to North America before Columbus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eirik_the_Red%27s_Saga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland

He wasn't the first to do anything. The Vikings beat him by 500 years according to most historians now. So he didn't even do that by your own admission. So again, why do we celebrate him?

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
                Careful, you'll piss cuau off and he'll go on a rant about how more 'European-looking' actors/actresses are preferred on TV in Latin American countries.
                It's not my fault I love myself, and my beautiful brown people. What most call ugly is what I take pride in.

Comment

No of course not, he was a fraud who never did anything but got lost and died probably thinking he was in India. Wasn't even anywhere close to the first European in America.

If I could fight any historical figure it would be him.

Comment

Of course not, a mass murder and rapist.

And Cuah, he also chopped off their hands if they did not meet his "quota" for gold.

He was brutal. There are some states I think, that have changed Columbus Day to something else, I think Indigenous Peoples Day, or maybe it was only one state. But all other states should follow suit.

Comment

When he went back home, he was a laughing stock.

He and his men were tied up in chains when they brought them back, because of all the crimes committed. It's unfortunate that from Pre K - 12 this man is mainly talked about as a hero, and only as a hero. Lots of revisionist history. It' too bad teachers have no say in the subject, they have to teach a certain way the Board of Ed./particular shcool want them to.

Comment

Working...
                      X