Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali vs Holmes: Was it as bad as they say?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali vs Holmes: Was it as bad as they say?

I consider myself a big Ali fan and I've seen many of his early to mid career fights. But I have not seen the bout between him and Larry Holmes. From what I have heard and read the bout was a total mismatch and Ali took alot of unneccesary punishment before his corner halted the fight. Have any of you guys seen this fight? Is it as bad as everyone says? As a fan of Muhammad Ali's should I watch it or forget about it?

Don't watch it unless you're due for a good cry. Probably the most depressing fight in the history of the sport. At one point Howard Cosell (doing the commentary) sounds like he is on the verge of tears.

"His hands no longer busy, his feet no longer swift..."

Comment

I agree, it was a sad sight. To see this once great champion taking a beating in his older years from a young stud coming up strong. Its how the game is though, no matter how good you may be time is often the greatest of the greats worst enemy. Sadly, its the way that the torch is past on in our game............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1
        I agree, it was a sad sight. To see this once great champion taking a beating in his older years from a young stud coming up strong. Its how the game is though, no matter how good you may be time is often the greatest of the greats worst enemy. Sadly, its the way that the torch is past on in our game............Rockin'

Ali caught him a couple of times, but all his power was gone. I hope I don't offend anyone, but it was like watching a school bully pick a fight with a special-ed student.

Comment

Total mis-match in every way possible. Just about any of the pathetic heavys fighting now would have beat ali on that night. Not even worth watching.

Comment

I remember one quick jab from Ali that landed very well. That was about it.

Comment

Don't watch it. It's very sad to see. I almost started crying during the fight. I don't like Ali in general, but he's one of the greatest heavyweights ever, and to see him slapped around like that was heartbreaking.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the replies. I should remember Ali when he was at his best vs the likes of Liston,Paterson,Quarry,Frasier,Foreman,etc...

And not at his worst and the punishment he took in his final days in the ring vs guys like Holmes and Berbick

Comment

Or vs. Cleveland Williams, that's my favorite Ali fight

Comment

Originally posted by hollister
                    Or vs. Cleveland Williams, that's my favorite Ali fight
                    How could I forget that fight, by many boxing pundits it is considered one of his finest performances as a pro. Now that's the Ali we should all remember!

Comment

Working...
                    X