No announcement yet.

Ali and SRR's final meeting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali and SRR's final meeting

In The Ring Oct. Issue, Todd Snyder writes about the final meeting between Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson.

In 1987, Ali and his friends Victor Solano and Howard Bingham visited a dying Drew Bundini at a L.A. hospital. While in the city, they decided to drop in on SRR, who was living out the final days of his life in Los Angeles, suffering the effects of Alzheimer's disease.

When Ali and Solano entered the living room of Robinson’s home, the legendary fighter at first recognized only Solano.
    “Ray, you’ve always been my main man,” Ali said to the boxing legend.
    Robinson did not reply.
    During the visit, Ali, Solano and Bingham talked mostly with Robinson’s wife, Millie.
    […]
    When it was time to leave, Ali briefly browsed Robinson’s living room trophy case, admiring the championship belts, medals, and memorabilia. Solano recalls seeing tears in Ali’s eyes through the reflection of the trophy case.
    “I’m going to be like that someday. I know it. Just like that. I’m going do die just like that. I’m not going to know anybody. Just like that,” Ali said to Solano after exiting Robinson's residence.

Moslems kept Clay on a strict allowance. Word is he and his wife had to order their burgers without cheese most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
      In The Ring Oct. Issue, Todd Snyder writes about the final meeting between Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson.

In 1987, Ali and his friends Victor Solano and Howard Bingham visited a dying Drew Bundini at a L.A. hospital. While in the city, they decided to drop in on SRR, who was living out the final days of his life in Los Angeles, suffering the effects of Alzheimer's disease.

When Ali and Solano entered the living room of Robinson’s home, the legendary fighter at first recognized only Solano.
      “Ray, you’ve always been my main man,” Ali said to the boxing legend.
      Robinson did not reply.
      During the visit, Ali, Solano and Bingham talked mostly with Robinson’s wife, Millie.
      […]
      When it was time to leave, Ali briefly browsed Robinson’s living room trophy case, admiring the championship belts, medals, and memorabilia. Solano recalls seeing tears in Ali’s eyes through the reflection of the trophy case.
      “I’m going to be like that someday. I know it. Just like that. I’m going do die just like that. I’m not going to know anybody. Just like that,” Ali said to Solano after exiting Robinson's residence.
      Nice story. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Working...
      X