No announcement yet.

Kell Brook Injured, Alexander Fight Likely Postponed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kell Brook Injured, Alexander Fight Likely Postponed

LAS VEGAS -- An apparent injury to unbeaten Englishman Kell Brook could force the postponement of his scheduled Jan. 19 clash with IBF welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander that is to be televised on Showtime from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer informed ******.com on Tuesday.

"I've just been informed that there might be a problem with Kell Brook, and I have to follow up on it," said Schaefer. "But we might have to push back that fight from Jan. 19, because I think there is something wrong with Kell Brook's ankle. They're going to get it checked out, so I don't have any more to report right now. But [the fight] might be pushed back."

Alexander (24-1, 13 knockouts), who is 25, is coming off last month's unanimous decision over hard-punching Randall Bailey, while Brook (29-0, 19 KOs), who is 26, is coming off last month's third-round stoppage of Hector Saldivia.

Schaefer had also previously informed ******.com that heavy-handed Argentine junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse (32-2, 30 KOs) was slated to face Philadelphia's twice-beaten Henry Lundy (22-2-1, 11 KOs) on the Alexander-Brook card.

Matthysse has scored his past two victories by fifth- and 10th-round knockout over former WBC 130-pound and lightweight beltholder Humberto Soto in June and previously unbeaten Olusegun Ajose in September.

The latter was a showcase of Matthysse's notorious punching power against the very tough, but overmatched Nigerian southpaw.

Rated the No. 1 contender at junior welterweight by THE RING, Matthysse has had four straight knockouts wins since sandwiching disputed decision losses to left-handers Zab Judah and Alexander in June of 2010 and June of 2011, respectively, around an eighth-round stoppage of left-hander DeMarcus Corley in January of last year.

Lundy will try to rebound from July's 10-round unanimous-decision loss to Raymundo Beltran at lightweight.

http://rin gtv.craveonline.com/blog/176419-lems-latest-brook-injured-broner-burns-maidana-thurman-considered

urgh, wanted to see this :s

Comment

Maybe Malignaggi could stand in. Brook to fight the winner

Comment

Make Mattyhsse's fight the main event I guess. No one likes Alexander anyway.

Comment

Please please please don't put this fight Feb. 9th at Barclays. I never want to see Alexander fight live again.

Comment

Lame. That was gonna be easy $ betting against Brook. I was already spending my winnings.

Comment

This is bad news..Hate when things like this happens...

Comment

Love him or hate him, you have to feel for Devon as this bs always happens to him. He is truly unlucky.

Comment

suits me the january 19th card @ msg on hbo im going to watch over this one

Comment

matthysee should step up to the plate and rematch alexander.

Comment

Working...
                    X