Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rich foreigner owners of football clubs, good or bad for football?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich foreigner owners of football clubs, good or bad for football?

It seems to be spreading everywhere now. With the likes of Man city spending ridiculous sums on players you wonder how long this will go on for. Now this trend is spreading outside of England, Paris Saint-German now has a Qatari owner who has splashed out 86million euros in the transfer window and now Malaga also have a super rich foreign owner.
    Last edited by Davros?; 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM.

Lets be honest it kind of is good..

I am a Manchester United fan.. but what if Abramovich didn't take over at Chelsea? Manchester United would be practically unchallenged at the top. Even now with Chelsea/City spending big money they have won the last 4 out of 5 leagues.

Most likely you would just see Man United/Arsenal top 2 every season because they are the most well run clubs.

Now potentially you have 4 clubs that can win the league.. Man Untied, Liverpool, City, Chelsea.. it's a lot better. More so then boring ass La Liga when Madrid/Barca win everything due to TV money being 10x most other clubs in that league.

The new rules Platini is bringing in soon will hopefully CUT spending a whole lot though. I am not sure if this is a good thing because it won't punish clubs like Barca/Man United who are in huge debt BUT make huge amounts of money in comparison to other clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by DR BOB View Post
      Lets be honest it kind of is good..

I am a Manchester United fan.. but what if Abramovich didn't take over at Chelsea? Manchester United would be practically unchallenged at the top. Even now with Chelsea/City spending big money they have won the last 4 out of 5 leagues.

Most likely you would just see Man United/Arsenal top 2 every season because they are the most well run clubs.

Now potentially you have 4 clubs that can win the league.. Man Untied, Liverpool, City, Chelsea.. it's a lot better. More so then boring ass La Liga when Madrid/Barca win everything due to TV money being 10x most other clubs in that league.

The new rules Platini is bringing in soon will hopefully CUT spending a whole lot though. I am not sure if this is a good thing because it won't punish clubs like Barca/Man United who are in huge debt BUT make huge amounts of money in comparison to other clubs.
      I agree that it’s good to see more competition. Especially in La Liga which has in recent years been dominated by Barca/Madrid it would be nice to see a team like Malaga being able to bring in better players. La Liga used to be much more competitive when i followed football heavily in the late 90's and early 00's.

The eastern euro leagues also seem to have a lot of money these days but they are funded more by local rich family’s.
      Last edited by Davros?; 09-01-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I think owners that are willing to spend money are good for any sports. They bring in top talent and are excited to see their teams succeed. I would much rather see a wealthy foreign owner excited for his club than have some old man who is trying to bleed a club for all the money he can.

Comment

Im all for it but hopefully not too many though......

Comment

I wonder what implications these new financial rules will have on football.

Comment

Its good in a lot of ways,its helped so many clubs out and helped build great new stadiums etc,i can see why some of the old timers dont like it though,football is becoming a business as well as a sport but imo it has given teams a chance too compete for the top prizes that you couldnt have dreamed of winning had it not been for a huge cash injection (man city for example) on the whole its a good thing,as long as it doesnt become all about the money and english clubs are still bringing through young english talent then im happy

Speaking of rich clubs,i heard that sneaky russian wants too try and poach Vidic from united,the same club that have just brought Etoo and are paying him 300k a week
              Last edited by The_Demon; 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                Its good in a lot of ways,its helped so many clubs out and helped build great new stadiums etc,i can see why some of the old timers dont like it though,football is becoming a business as well as a sport but imo it has given teams a chance too compete for the top prizes that you couldnt have dreamed of winning had it not been for a huge cash injection (man city for example) on the whole its a good thing,as long as it doesnt become all about the money and english clubs are still bringing through young english talent then im happy

Speaking of rich clubs,i heard that sneaky russian wants too try and poach Vidic from united,the same club that have just brought Etoo and are paying him 300k a week
                Yeah Eto joined Anzhi Makhachkala he is on something like $25million a year. There was an intresting item in world soccer about Russian teams recently. Shaktar are another good team that seem to have a bit of cash.

I remember back in the early to mid 90's when Blackburn got brought out by Jack Walker everyone said they brought the title but there spending was tiny compared to todays big clubs.

Comment

IF it wasn't for foreign investors Cardiff City would be a league 2 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros? View Post
                    Yeah Eto joined Anzhi Makhachkala he is on something like $25million a year. There was an intresting item in world soccer about Russian teams recently. Shaktar are another good team that seem to have a bit of cash.

I remember back in the early to mid 90's when Blackburn got brought out by Jack Walker everyone said they brought the title but there spending was tiny compared to todays big clubs.
                    Shaktar is in the Ukranian Premier League, not a Russian team. But yeah they have a ton of cash compared to all the other teams in Ukraine.

Comment

Working...
                    X