Miguel Torres Wants To Cement His Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Torres Wants To Cement His Legacy

MIGUEL TORRES WANTS TO CEMENT HIS LEGACY

There's little argument when talking about the best bantamweight in the world.

The list starts and stops with WEC champion Miguel Torres, who next defends his title on April 5 against Japanese fighter Takeya Mizugaki. While Torres is focused on the task at hand, he admits he's looking to the future as well.

The future for Miguel Torres may very well take him out of the 135-pound weight class he lords over currently. According to a recent interview on MMAWeekly Radio, he is looking to cement a legacy in the sport.

"I do want to get up just to challenge myself in general. To fight a Mike Brown or Urijah Faber, or even at 55 in the UFC, has been a dream of mine since I first started doing this sport," Torres commented. "That was my goal when I first started out. I think to be a champion you always have to change. If your goal is to be a champ, a real champ, and you don't have any more goals, you're pretty much stuck in a rut."

The bantamweight king also alluded to the possibility of competing for only a few more years, although he has a lot of goals left to achieve before he leaves the sport.

"I'm always trying to achieve new things, and strive for bigger things, and I think I can stay at 35 and dominate for a while, but I don’t want to fight forever," stated Torres. "I don’t want to be a Randy Couture and fight until I'm 44, 45 years old. I want to fight 3 to 5 (more) years.

"I think once I've had my run at 35, I want to go up. I owe it to myself and to my fans. I'm no longer just a fighter or a champion; I'm an entertainer. I get a ton of e-mails and tons of responses of people who'd love to see me go up."

Torres has been running roughshod over some very good competition in the WEC's bantamweight division. While he admits that challengers like Brian Bowles, Jeff Curran, and Joseph Benavidez definitely hold intrigue; he understands the challenges of conquering other weight classes as well.

The current WEC champion and East Chicago, Ind., native is confident in what he could bring to any weight class he competes in. He admits that he may give up some size, but he'll make up the difference with his skill.

"I thought about it. I wouldn't even try to put on a bunch of weight. I'd walk in at 155 or whatever I walk around at to get it," Torres admitted. "I wouldn't try to put a bunch of weight on."

Admitting that his job at 135 pounds isn't quite finished yet, Torres hopes to get a few more fights in and then head into the deep waters of the higher weight classes.

"I want to stay where I'm at, make a living, make a legacy, and then I want to go up in weight and I want to test myself," he stated.

Miguel Torres will try to build on that legacy in his next title defense when he takes on Top 10 ranked bantamweight Takeya Mizugaki on April 5 at WEC 40 in Chicago.
    Torres at 145 or 155 would be awesome.

Yea the dude is relentless, ive only seen a couple of his fights but he goes all out in every single round very entertaining.

Comment

To me, Miguel Torres has been higher in the P4P rankings than BJ Penn for ages. The fact that he is 135lbs kind of stunts him, being only in the WEC and fighting in non-PPV events. I personally can't wait until he moves up in weight. The skill level that this guy is on is leaps and bounds above anyone else in that division.

By the way, Miguel Torres absolutely dismantles BJ within 2 rounds if they are ever brought to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Apostle View Post
        To me, Miguel Torres has been higher in the P4P rankings than BJ Penn for ages. The fact that he is 135lbs kind of stunts him, being only in the WEC and fighting in non-PPV events. I personally can't wait until he moves up in weight. The skill level that this guy is on is leaps and bounds above anyone else in that division.

By the way, Miguel Torres absolutely dismantles BJ within 2 rounds if they are ever brought to fight.
        I agree. I've said it before, Torres is to the bantamweight division what Fedor is to the heavyweight division.

Comment

The thing is, Torres is tall for his weight so he could put on some extra weight if needed. At least he has the frame for it but it might be tough for him to gain weight.

Comment

I doubt the weights an issue. Many fellow fighters in the Chicago area said that he spent most of his time fighting middleweights to heavyweights in bars even though he never really weighed more than about 120.
            Last edited by jakkups; 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

one of my favorite fighters.

he has the frame to go up to 155, but it hard to say how he would do against guys cutting from 165+ to make 155

i know the stories of him fighting guys who outweighed him by 30-40lbs, but i doubt any of those guys were ever the kind of quality he would see if he were to fight in the UFC

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                I doubt the weights an issue. Many fellow fighters in the Chicago area said that he spent most of his time fighting middleweights to heavyweights in bars even though he never really weighed more than about 120.

yeah, I've heard stories of him taking on heavyweights

I'd love to see the video of that

Comment

Working...
                X