Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An interesting and very impressive fact about Harry Greb.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting and very impressive fact about Harry Greb.

I read this in this week's issue of Boxing News...

"Worth noting, he defeated 18 world champions in a time when there was one champion per division and only eight weight categories. Phenomenal."

Phenomenal indeed. It doesn't even sound possible.

Originally posted by Orochi_Oni View Post
    I read this in this week's issue of Boxing News...

"Worth noting, he defeated 18 world champions in a time when there was one champion per division and only eight weight categories. Phenomenal."

Phenomenal indeed. It doesn't even sound possible.
    It's very true, 18 World Champions and 13 Hall of Famers including a prime Mickey Walker, Gene Tunney, Maxie Rosenbloom, Gibbons, Loughran, Tiger Flowers and numerous others.

Comment

Wasn't he the only guy to ever beat Tunney?

Comment

Originally posted by Rossman View Post
        Wasn't he the only guy to ever beat Tunney?
        Yeah he beat Tunney in the first of their 5 fights, was robbed in the second(even Tuney acknowledges this.) Tunney easily won the thrid, the foruth was close and Tunney was the obvious winner in the last.

Those are results from accounts from papers of the time and the fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Yeah he beat Tunney in the first of their 5 fights, was robbed in the second(even Tuney acknowledges this.) Tunney easily won the thrid, the foruth was close and Tunney was the obvious winner in the last.

Those are results from accounts from papers of the time and the fighters.
          When you factor in that it appears the judges didn't do him any favours in the last 2 Flowers fights, the DQ against Norfolk sounds like he was more sinned against than sinned, Loughran's win sounds a little dubious and he broke his arm against Graves his record is remarkable

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            When you factor in that it appears the judges didn't do him any favours in the last 2 Flowers fights, the DQ against Norfolk sounds like he was more sinned against than sinned, Loughran's win sounds a little dubious and he broke his arm against Graves his record is remarkable
            He certainly had a great record, Rosenbloom was mentioned, he fought even more all-time greats than Harry did. Moderns like Ray Leonard and all the rest have simply not had enough fights to ever approach those old-timers, that's why most of us here hold them in such high esteem.... I think the most remarkable thing about Harry was that he won so many fights, without being the most devastating of punchers. Greb had to be prepared to go the distance, Harry made up for that with throwing lots and lots of punches and keeping up the pressure. Anyone who saw a lot of Jeff Fenech knows what a pressure fighter who never stopped throwing. I have a feeling that Greb simply wore down an opponent, then broke his will down and cruises to another victory, 299 fights means there had to be a lot of great opponents amongst that lot. I just wish there was film of him, incidentally there is no Rosenbloom footage either, Maxie must have had incredible skills to do what he did without being able to crack an eggshell (I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but I read a quote about Maxie that said just that).

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
              He certainly had a great record, Rosenbloom was mentioned, he fought even more all-time greats than Harry did. Moderns like Ray Leonard and all the rest have simply not had enough fights to ever approach those old-timers, that's why most of us here hold them in such high esteem.... I think the most remarkable thing about Harry was that he won so many fights, without being the most devastating of punchers. Greb had to be prepared to go the distance, Harry made up for that with throwing lots and lots of punches and keeping up the pressure. Anyone who saw a lot of Jeff Fenech knows what a pressure fighter who never stopped throwing. I have a feeling that Greb simply wore down an opponent, then broke his will down and cruises to another victory, 299 fights means there had to be a lot of great opponents amongst that lot. I just wish there was film of him, incidentally there is no Rosenbloom footage either, Maxie must have had incredible skills to do what he did without being able to crack an eggshell (I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but I read a quote about Maxie that said just that).
              Considering Maxies KO% I don't find it over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                Considering Maxies KO% I don't find it over the top.
                No he certainly did not hit hard by any stretch of the imagination,..... but I reckon he'd break an egg without too much trouble,...... "Slapsie" summed his power up in one perfect nickname...... his skills must have been on a superior level.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                  No he certainly did not hit hard by any stretch of the imagination,..... but I reckon he'd break an egg without too much trouble,...... "Slapsie" summed his power up in one perfect nickname...... his skills must have been on a superior level.
                  Loughran is another like him.

Comment

He would lose to all the modern fighters though since he never lifted weights or drank milkshakes after training.

Comment

Working...
                    X