Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is HBO Boxing pretty much close to being done?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
    They must be paying him an insane amount. Buffer has made a lot of money as a free agent, hasn't he?
    Yeah, he makes between $15,000 & $30,000 per announcing appearance according to Bruce Buffer. I’m assuming since he signed exclusive with this app they’re going to be paying him more than his usual fee per fight.

Comment

Not sure what is going on with HBO but this is very disappointing giving its long history in boxing and it has fell behind ESPN and Showtime as far as boxing content goes. No clue how Peter Nelson still has his job with HBO Boxing being in the worst shape I've seen it in probably EVER.

Comment

pretty close. canelo fights on ppv and will be there for the coming years. golovkin may go abck to regular HBO, but if he loses to canelo i'll venture that he will retire. he is set for life and has definitely lost a step.

other than those two HBO is pretty awful. kovalev is a good / very good fighter, but he's ward's leftovers in a lot of ways. and he's no star. yeah, he's a puncher, but power alone does not a star make. LHW has been a relatively dead division for a while, other than ward and kovalev the premium fights aren't happening. stevenson held the lineage hostage after the dawson win. beterbiev is a talented puncher, but he's largely inactive and i'm not sure how much longer he'll fight at 175. and he's not a CW.

i no longer sub to HBO. i'll stream the big fights and i have bought ppv for canelo and golovkin. the boxing just isn't good. the broadcast can get downright cringeworthy.

Comment

Who will be Jacob's undercard guy now that Miller is on DAZN?

Comment

When the ESPN time-buy is done, Oscar De La Hoya will return his full stable to HBO.

Canelo, Ryan Garcia, Joseph Diaz Jr, David Lemieux, Lamont Roach, and a few others. Alvarez will have his 2-3 PPVs per year, and HBO will be compelled to use Alvarez's money to fund a boxing schedule (that largely features Golden Boy fighters).

The scale is different, but Floyd Mayweather, on just good residual to Showtime, was basically able to finance two years of Showtime Championship Boxing.

Comment

HBOs done as far as boxing

It’s basically Canelo & GGG bothbare essentially PPV fighters and after Sept one of them will have a loss and GGg on his last legs regardless

Kovalev can’t draw flies to sh.it

Jacobs will jump to DAZn

And that leaves the Superfly division

Once PBC started it was pretty much a death blow and once Top Rank went to Espn you might as well put HBO in the casket

They have 1 sh.it card every 2-3 months

No idea how Nelson still has a job never seen someone take a brand that was first for 20-30 years to dead last in a span of 2-3 years

Comment

Originally posted by DJrabit View Post
                Who does Showtime have. Joshua is with DAZN now.
                Errol Spence Jr, Deontay Wilder, and Mikey Garcia are all emerging as stars for the channel. And that's before you count the depth of quality competitive fights that get put on from Haymon (featuring potential stars in Danny Garcia/LSC/Charlos/etc) and the ShoBox content largely led by 50/50 fights.

Losing Joshua has an impact, but Showtime/CBS wasn't hinging on one fighter

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  Do they even have Jacobs? He's with Eddie Hearn so he'll probably go to Dazn
                  Jacobs signed a deal with HBO, with Matchroom Sport USA being the partner brought in to stage the events. Don't kid yourself

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                    Jacobs is under an HBO contract. When that contract expires, he'll likely move to DAZN.
                    Why wouldn't Daniel Jacobs simply return to Showtime after the HBO deal is up?

Haymon moves the way he moves, but I doubt that he'd advise Jacobs to take a deal with a promoter for longer than the TV dates on offer.

Comment

According to to Oscar hbo will come back as soon as the at&t time Warner merger that just got gov approval to be completed

Comment

Working...
                      X