Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
    And all based on opinion.
    Some sports have judges. Some have simple points systems.

I think that boxing needs to be judged. I can't see a way to remove that element without destroying the sport.

But having judges also leads to several problems. Subjectivity, lack of consistency, corruption etc.

I've thought about how to solve these things in the past, and the best idea I could come up with was to have an independent body of judges, who had their own staff of judges who all received identical training for consistency. The promoters etc would have no say about who the judges would be for their fights, it would be picked by the independent body - in fact, the promoters wouldn't even know who the judges were going to be right up until the fight starts.
    After each fight, a random panel of these independent judges would also score the fight through replays etc. If the judges who scored it live were too far away from this reviewed score, they would be put on warning and forced to attend more training - if they did this three times they would be out of a job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post
      Some sports have judges. Some have simple points systems.

I think that boxing needs to be judged. I can't see a way to remove that element without destroying the sport.

But having judges also leads to several problems. Subjectivity, lack of consistency, corruption etc.

I've thought about how to solve these things in the past, and the best idea I could come up with was to have an independent body of judges, who had their own staff of judges who all received identical training for consistency. The promoters etc would have no say about who the judges would be for their fights, it would be picked by the independent body - in fact, the promoters wouldn't even know who the judges were going to be right up until the fight starts.
      After each fight, a random panel of these independent judges would also score the fight through replays etc. If the judges who scored it live were too far away from this reviewed score, they would be put on warning and forced to attend more training - if they did this three times they would be out of a job.
      Yeah, anything against the current system would be good.

I just like punches landed. It's simple and easy to understand for the fighters and the viewers. You landed more punches? You win. You can see in all the examples that so many winners would have actually been properly rewarded. There's no perfect system but this one would definitely come closer to hitting the mark.

Comment

• If it's not punches landed its going to make it hard for the 2 guys in ring to know what to do to win fight, it would be confusing and guesswork.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
          If it's not punches landed its going to make it hard for the 2 guys in ring to know what to do to win fight, it would be confusing and guesswork.
          I agree.

Outside of a knockout, what are the actual criteria for winning the fight under the current system? Hard to say...

Comment

• Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            If scoring fights is so straightforward then why does everybody come up with different scores? Oh wait... you're the dude who proclaimed that his scores are always right aren't you? Impressive hubris, man, and just possibly a little delusion... the gods themselves couldn't agree on scoring a boxing match under the present system.
            Don't try coming after me if you don't know how to score a fight.

You score a round by who landed the most shots and who landed the cleaner harder shots.

If you can see which punches land cleanly then you know who won the round.

Using your ignorance to make a simple thing complicated. Ask any fighter if they think scoring a fight is hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
              Don't try coming after me if you don't know how to score a fight.

You score a round by who landed the most shots and who landed the cleaner harder shots.

If you can see which punches land cleanly then you know who won the round.

Using your ignorance to make a simple thing complicated. Ask any fighter if they think scoring a fight is hard.
              I'm not saying it's difficult, man, I'm saying it's subjective. I'm saying that there's always more than one legitimate way of perceiving any event, not just a boxing match.

Comment

I'm not saying it's difficult, man, I'm saying it's subjective. I'm saying that there's always more than one legitimate way of perceiving any event, not just a boxing match.
                What other way is there to score a round other than who landed more and who landed harder?

Comment

• Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
                  What other way is there to score a round other than who landed more and who landed harder?
                  Good criteria both - though some would dispute your claim that they are the only factors to look for - but opinions will differ over which punches were clean, which were glancing or parried and to what extent, which punches were harder and how much each fighter was affected them etc, etc.

Unless you were somehow sharing the sensorium of both fighters simultaneously while the action was taking place the closest you can come is to make an educated guess at it - which is where the subjectivity comes in. People see things differently, notice different details and cues and weight them differently even if they were (impossibly - because we all understand such things slightly differently) using the exact same scoring criteria.

I honestly can't believe I'm having a discussion with someone claiming that scoring boxing is not a subjective process. Why do you think we have three judges, man, and why do you think they come up with different scores so often?
                  Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-24-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Good criteria both - though some would dispute your claim that they are the only factors to look for - but opinions will differ over which punches were clean, which were glancing or parried and to what extent, which punches were harder and how much each fighter was affected them etc, etc.

Unless you were somehow sharing the sensorium of both fighters simultaneously while the action was taking place the closest you can come is to make an educated guess at it - which is where the subjectivity comes in. People see things differently, notice different details and cues and weight them differently even if they were (impossibly - because we all understand such things slightly differently) using the exact same scoring criteria.

I honestly can't believe I'm having a discussion with someone claiming that scoring boxing is not a subjective process. Why do you think we have three judges, man, and why do you think they come up with different scores so often?
                    I have good eyes. I know which punches land and which punches don't based on their trajectory and impact. The people that have bad eyes or haven't been watching boxing long get the rounds wrong. I don't. Especially on the replay. When i see the replay, I know 100% which round goes to who because i can zero in or slow down the bad angles.

You keep on writing essays confirming my point when i said my point in one sentence and it still stands.

Comment

• GGG loses so now we have to change entire criteria for scoring in boxing to help him and his cry baby fans? Went from killer who Kos everyone from 154-168 to now getting beat up by smaller canelo so let's make a rule that weak jabs count more then power punches LMAO

next rule is GGG is allowed to wear head gear like amatuers because it's not fair canelo allowed to phuk his face up? canelo really stole his fans souls

Comment

Working...
                      X