Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was/is the hardest puncher of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was/is the hardest puncher of all time?

Does it come down to a ceratin punch for a certain individual e.g. Earnie shavers for straight right, Tyson for left hook etc

Or does one individual have the monoply on all/most of the punches e.g. earnie shavers had the hardest right straight, left hook, jab, and uppercut?

I've always believed that George Foreman was the most powerful fighter to ever step into a boxing ring.

Comment

I'm going with George Foreman as well.

I feel Shavers' power is overrated based on hearsay. He definitely hit hard, but I don't see any reason to suggest he hit harder than Foreman or Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
        I'm going with George Foreman as well.

I feel Shavers' power is overrated based on hearsay. He definitely hit hard, but I don't see any reason to suggest he hit harder than Foreman or Tyson.
        i duno man, i think foreman should be recognised as the best hardest hitting knockout artist and he got great leverage on his punches and is a far better fighter than shavers but i think shavers naturally hit the hardest. Jus visualy u can see heads fly back and there bodies jus collapse in the ring. Ali was very honest and i trust him when he said he hit harder than foreman. Some guys had a delayed reaction like holy **** what just hit me, the opponents face says it all and i reckon he could probably do away with george chuvalo

Comment

Are talking as things stand or lb for lb?

Have to agree with the other guys and say Foreman. I think he was just on another level to people like Liston, Shavers, Louis and Tyson.

lb for lb Hearns has a great shout as does Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
            Are talking as things stand or lb for lb?

Have to agree with the other guys and say Foreman. I think he was just on another level to people like Liston, Shavers, Louis and Tyson.

lb for lb Hearns has a great shout as does Jackson
            who do you think it harder jackson or hearns? (there hardest punch)

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
              i duno man, i think foreman should be recognised as the best hardest hitting knockout artist and he got great leverage on his punches and is a far better fighter than shavers but i think shavers naturally hit the hardest. Jus visualy u can see heads fly back and there bodies jus collapse in the ring. Ali was very honest and i trust him when he said he hit harder than foreman. Some guys had a delayed reaction like holy **** what just hit me, the opponents face says it all and i reckon he could probably do away with george chuvalo
              Shannon Briggs said Vitali (who was at this stage, an arm-puncher) hit him harder than Lewis or Foreman did.

Archie Moore said Patterson hit him harder than Marciano did.

For a more recent example, Mosley said Canelo and Mayweather hit him just as hard as each other.

There are so many factors going into that type of opinion that you don't even need to register that they are literally being punched in the face when they form that opinion.

Foreman bounced around bigger men, and much better opponents than Shavers. His grazing blows would push big men off balance, but you can't say the same of Shavers.

Comment

I think Foreman is the heaviest handed fighter in the history of the sport, but I believe Shavers was more explosive. Earnie was very heavy handed himself, but tended to put more into his punches than Foreman did. This made him a better one-punch hitter than George, but also left him more open and far less durable.

The hardest puncher lb4lb is the man in my avatar. He concussed people- quality people....and did it with one shot.

Comment

Julian Jackson, Tommy Hearns, Ricardo Lopez, Sonny Liston.

Comment

Foreman was truly something else.....I've just decided to rewatch his entire fight with Moorer to discuss another thread and the way he suddenly turns taking a painful one-sided beating into a victory party with just one 'on the button shot' is utterly utterly incredible.

Moorer - who is still fresh, on his toes, unmarked and cruising to a victory - is suddenly left senseless and utterly and completely out of it. What Foreman must have been like in his prime must have been something else. Crushing, brutal power.

All the big hoopla over Ali's victory in Zaire suddenly begins to make makes sense....Foreman at that time must have been terrifying!

Comment

Working...
                    X