Collapse
No announcement yet.

ali's worst loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst as in he looked at his worst? Definitely against Holmes.

As far as his career, I'd say Fight of the Century. It destroyed the mantle of invincibility he had carried in his prime, even though Ali fought a tremendous fight that night.

Comment

His worst defeat was the first fight with Frazier! Both undefeated Champions, Ali had not lost the title in the ring and he thought he was ready for Frazier. He needed another bout to be in prime condition but he took Frazier on instead and lost a good fight as Joe was primed and ready!
      It did make Ali stand up and take notice and get into better condition which he did! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        His worst defeat was the first fight with Frazier! Both undefeated Champions, Ali had not lost the title in the ring and he thought he was ready for Frazier. He needed another bout to be in prime condition but he took Frazier on instead and lost a good fight as Joe was primed and ready!
        It did make Ali stand up and take notice and get into better condition which he did! Ray.

Ali was in great physical shape for Fight of the Century. Years after the fight, Angelo Dundee commented that it was funnily enough the hardest Ali ever trained for a fight.

I think the main factor was that despite the heavy training he simply wasn't as physically fit as before and he wasn't as ring sharp as he became in say....1974. Three years of inactivity could not be undone with the Quarry and Bonavena fights.

I wouldn't have said FOTC was Ali's worst loss. I'd say it was his best loss. It was a superb fight and a great performance by Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          An idiot of a doctor prescribed thyroid pills for Ali to help him shed the excess weight that he had picked up in his 2 year retirement. Ali took more than the recommended dosage telling those in camp that they were vitamin pills!!

Ali certainly lost the weight, but also any strength, speed and stamina.

Thyroid pills mess about with kidneys, liver and metabolism......a ridiculous mix for a professional athlete!
          Oh so took thyroid medicine for underactive thyroid. Yeah, I take that too and know how it can mess with the body-kidney, liver, metabolism. That's why it has to be monitored and follow up visits to a doctor need to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Oh so took thyroid medicine for underactive thyroid. Yeah, I take that too and know how it can mess with the body-kidney, liver, metabolism. That's why it has to be monitored and follow up visits to a doctor need to be made.

A brother of a close friend of mine is in a similar boat too.

The problem was that Ali wasn't correctly diagnosed. He was simply a guy in his late 30s who hadn't kept fit for two years and had piled on a few pounds. Not only was he prescribed the pills, but he took more than the recommended dose.

Lets be honest, Ali was never going to win that fight. But those pills certainly weakened him.

He was clearly much better against Berbick a year later despite weighing more......

Comment

Working...
            X