No announcement yet.

Too many counterpunchers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many counterpunchers?

Dont you get the feeling that many people consider themselves counter punchers when they are really "punch shy", i am not being specific about anyone, even in the gym and when even I when i was just starting to fight.

I hear many guys say that they are counterpunchers and when i watch them fight/spar they just wait without throwing punches and end up being owned.
    I really think there isnt anything bad about hitting the guard and creating opening by yourself, sometimes people wait too much and end up being really tense when on the ring.

I think countering its important but its not really a style, everyone has to be an attacker but if you are an offensive fighter and also a good counterpuncher user, you are gonna be a fighting machine.

when i spar i always set up everything from a jab but to me counter punching has been more effective. waste less energy slippin and getting the angle you want and also the rotation for you to hit those power punches. i try to avoid too much blocking, i rely more on slipping if they head hunt and quick side steps to avoid body shots, thats if i read them fast enough. i don't cut off blocking completely tho cuz its important too but it wastes more energy than slipping and stayin on your toes.

Comment

I could see how your opponent could get a little punch shy looking at those brazos grandotes!

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
        I could see how your opponent could get a little punch shy looking at those brazos grandotes!
        lol didnt realize that but i guess that could be intimidating to most

Comment

the whole counter punching this is a joke. If you are a boxer, you are a fighter. I just ****ing hit people when I can...

ha

Comment

"I'm a counter puncher" claim falls right in with "I fight with a prostyle, my style doesn't fit the amateurs" and all of that garbage.....

When you see a true counter puncher box.... they are throwing punches lol... not standing there and moving to stand at angles where it looks like they are about to do something cooler than just get punched in the face.

This stuff aggravates me to no end. It gets thrown around as an excuse rather than trying to learn and it is like putting up a baracade to you progression as a boxer...

perfect example....

Trainer: "Good work guys... good sparring.... Mike you did well worked your jab and moved alot... you gotta throw that right nore, you aren't seeing alot of openings... we'll ork on that tommorow before you spar again thursday"

Me (Mike): "Thanks, I was getting a little caught up with some stuff... thanks."

Trainer: "John Doe... you gotta move man, get your punches off and f'n move dont stand there... you gotta throw jas, everything comes off the jab..."

John Doe: "Well I'm a counter puncher and I was looking for the counters... trying to counter his jabs and hooks with combinations, thats what I anted to work on. I can throw more but i wanted to let him work some and also work on my style"

Trainer: "Ok Winky Wright..... *thinking what a know it all prick*

Comment

and in the above scenario i owned him. i dont remember the exact quotes but thats about spot on. My jabs landed at will and he only threw 2 punches in our third round of sparring.

before hand he was being very boisterous, i dont really care for that. everyone is basically friends and sparring is practice not a contest. He was laying claim to how many rounds he could go and blah blah blah.

every punch he threw i countered, and my jabs landed at will.... he sucked.

yet claims ammys arent for him hes not into a lot of pitter pat punching, and he doesnt stand there getting punched, it is strategy.

STFU

Comment

Here are two posts from as thread on workrate that apply:

"In reality your work rate is probably much much less than the work rate of a professional, and much much less than you think.

A lot of people claim the "fight in a pro-style" and don't fit well in the amateurs.... They think they are stalking, waiting for a counter, and picking their shots.... when in reality all that is happening is that they aren't throwing punches.

Claiming "Amateur Style" is a great excuse. It is a great talking point to prop up ego's, but the fact of the matter is that people do not want to admit they get completely schooled by most good amateurs, they cant keep up the pace, and they get flustered by all the punches.

If you can't keep an "amateur" pace for 3 rounds, you can't keep a professional pace for 10."

and......

"
                There is a HUGE! difference between true counter-punching, and what most people are convinced is waiting for counters.

People see pros counter-punching, and they see the slow style they are fighting in and assume that counter-punching = fighting slow.

That is the furthest thing from the truth. Counter-punching is fighting to rate of your opponent, every punch they throw is countered by one of your own. They throw 100 punches, you throw 100 punches.

A slowing of the pace, is simply an artifact of effective counter-punching. Your opponent stops punching, because every time they do, they get hit. They become tentative and cautious.

Being a counter-puncher means you have to be ready to match whatever work-rate your opponent has, and still have enough energy to continue seeing and countering all of your opponents punches.

If you are getting overwhelmed by punch output, counter-punching is not the style for you."

Comment

counter punching is matching what your opponent throws.....if they throw 3 punches you defend and counter with 3 punches......you can be an orthodox counter puncher but it helps if you are a southpaw.......a good trick against a counter puncher is to feint and feint again, try to make them lead into an exchange of punches, and always focus on landing the last punch in an exchange with a counterpuncher, beat em at their own game.

yeah i reckon some guys are just gun shy lol

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
                    the whole counter punching this is a joke. If you are a boxer, you are a fighter. I just ****ing hit people when I can...

ha
                    counterpunching isnt a joke its actually the smartest style of boxing and a good counterpuncher (toney, hopkins, mayweather) has incredible longevity in boxing and can retire unhurt whenever they want. toney and hopkins are testament to this. counterpunching is also useful if you are fighting a bigger , stronger opponent (toney at heavyweight) so to say its a joke is very misinformed

Comment

Working...
                    X