Collapse
No announcement yet.

why i think ward really retired

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly think he will return once someone establishes themselves at 175 at he will get a huge payday to face them..there is simply no options that make sense right now

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post

so he beat n fought the top man in the division after moving up and now he retired to run from these guys?????? they are good but u guys need to stop it.

Comment

Maidana said a similar thing when he retired, that it's just super taxing mentally and physically to do what you have to do to compete at the top level of boxing. And he was younger than Ward.
        Tyson also said a similar thing at the end of his career about if you don't have the drive anymore, the punches and everything hurt that much more.

Comment

Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
          so he beat n fought the top man in the division after moving up and now he retired to run from these guys?????? they are good but u guys need to stop it.
          That might well be true but Ward doesn't love fighting, he's talked of retirement a few times. Add to that he's approaching mid 30's.

Not saying he's running from these guys specifically but i'm sure he knows with age and lack of enthusiasm, these guys coming through are going to be tough for him.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
            Agenda boy trying to suck hard

Welcome to the baby bottle crew of excuses
            how much does it suck..knowing you hate ward...and knowing he will retire undefeated with his last two wins being against a fellow top 5 p4p fighter who was unbeaten and from a division higher than where ward spent more than 80 percent of his career?

LOLOL...the joke is on you lil man

Comment

He's been boxing since he was like 10. I don't doubt that his body is broken down to this point. Plus, it's much better to retire from fighting and not letting fighting retire you. I would've love a few more years of Ward, but I'm certainly not mad at him. He cleaned out 168 and went on the fight the boogieman twice at 175

Comment

david ortiz hit .315 with 38 hrs and 127 rbis and walked away....he still had IT...what he said was what it took for him to stay at that level...the eating properly...all the time in the batting cage daily...and the travel....just didnt wanna keep up anymore...i believe thats a factor for ward...but i think it would be less of a factor if the money were there

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                  sure i can buy his 33 year old "body" reasoning

but to me i think he still feels disrespected...and to some degree he should feel that way

but his rate of pay will no longer be on par with his standing in the game and level of accomplishments.....he simply isnt embraced and he hit his high notes with the kovalev fights.....now, accepting any less money, will not be worth it to him and will be a step back....and i dont think anyone can really afford to pay him that money or more again

its simply not worth it for him to get ready and go into a fight while making 2-3 million when hes probably the most accomplished man in boxing now
                  Sounds like you've been reading Rick

Rick Glaser
                  6 hrs ·
                  Andre Ward said today he's "leaving boxing" because the rigors of training and fighting have become too much for his body and the "desire is not there" To me, it sounds like a classy bow out for Ward after losing his HBO Boxing contract, as no network is offering to pay for the rights to broadcast his fights at the monatary number that he's use to getting, also not being a PPV draw, with no attractive fight out there, and you know Adonis Stevenson won't fight Ward, so it's a classy way of saying "Good Bye" to boxing, if he holds true to todays statement. Undefeated, two division world Champ, Olympic Gold Medalist, Andre Ward is a sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
                    Sounds like you've been reading Rick
                    i honestly havent

it just seems like the sensible reason....you dont have to be too bright if you know wards general situation and how things have gone the last two fights as far as financial success

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                      I honestly think he will return once someone establishes themselves at 175 at he will get a huge payday to face them..there is simply no options that make sense right now
                      Yea I could see this & speculated on it in another thread already. I think the WBSS would be smart to hone in on the 175 division next year & if that were to happen there would be a legit #1 guy by May 2019 that could inspire Ward to comeback for a big fight. Dre would still only be 35 with a almost 2 yr hiatus.

Or maybe Kovalev isn't shot & becomes the man again & a third fight could actually gain steam since the two fights they had hold controversy to many fans still. Maybe Stevenson or Beterbiev or The Nail or someone else just become the legit guy & a draw over the next year or two somehow.

But as to the OP yea I more or less agree. I think Ward's love of boxing has been a question he has to decide is the juice worth the squeeze with many past fights. He's honestly seemed like one of the most retired active fighters over the last almost 6 years while he only had 7 fights to me. I think he finally reached a point where his accomplishments, his age & the money he has in his bank account + that he's being offered for future fights = the juice is finally not worth the squeeze for him.

I actually hope he doesn't return as I'm a big fan of guys retiring earlier & healthier & becoming successful outside the ring in other capacities & I think Ward has a really good career outside the ring ahead of him so might as well start that with as many brain cells & good health as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X