Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Golovkin IS Avoiding The Rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GGG is old and realized he gonna lose and it might just be the next fight so he doing what he should be trying to do and secure that pension check as much as he can but he might of over played his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Canelo clearly doesn't care about his reputation among diehards because he always has the Mexican fanbase who will forgive him. Thats why I thought GGG should tell Canelo to f-ck off and just spend the rest of his career calling Canelo a cheater and using that to boost his stock.

Canelo is never going to give him 50/50 and IMO testing positive doesn't suddenly make GGG his equal. I wouldn't call it avoiding the rematch if GGG doesn't fight Canelo. I would call it GGG giving up a payday to stand on principle because that is the only way Canelo gets any "punishment" for his actions.

No matter how we all slice it the truth is Canelo testing positive will likely not hurt him long term.
      Sure, he can recover from the PED test failure by staying in VADA and plugging the tainted meat excuse - which may even be true. But not fighting GGG will put his career in a bad place going forward, imo. Ok, he's young enough to wait out GGG, but not the young guns who are coming along in the MW division behind Golovkin.

BJS is the same age as Canelo, and improving. And who knows how good GGG's 2 mandos, Charlo and Dervy, are going to be? They could turn out to be even bigger monsters than Golovkin!

Then there's the other Charlo, and Hurd, and Munguia, who might all become real threats at 160 soon.

The point I'm making is that Canelo won't be a PPV star for long if he doesn't go after the top guys and world titles in his new division, which is 160.

And he isn't likely to get as much money or respect for fighting any of those other tough guys in the next few years as he would get for fighting GGG now.

If I was Canelo I would bite the bullet and offer GGG 40% or even 45% and get the fight done.

Comment

Originally posted by LADIV View Post
        trust me.....ggg won't fight billy Joe Saunders either if he wanted to unify he would have fought him long ago bjs has the last belt...but oh wait a minute he is chasing canelo for that payday...ggg might have all the belts and be the champion but he will always be a 1 maybe 2 million dollar fighter..
        He would have fought Saunders in Kakhstan last year but Oscar told him the Canelo fight would be off the table if he did.

And trust me .. Golovkin would make a hell of a lot more than 1 or maybe 2 million by fighting BJS in the UK or Murata in Japan. Maybe even more than Canelo will make fighting Spike in Sept.

Comment

Of course only people outside of the boxing world and GBP see it this way but quite literally no one else thinks he's avoiding the rematch. There's enough boxers that lauded GGG after the tests who don't see this situation in that light at all.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
            How many did Canelo do with Khan? Kirkland went basic cable route. Liam Smith? Let's not act like he can just put up huge numbers on his own. There's a reason why he needed Cotto, Chavez Jr and Golovkin. He can't do numbers against just anyone. It takes two. I don't discuss money, you can go through my history I hate talking about purses or A-Side/B-Side bull****. I will make an exception and say he's worth whatever he feels he's worth. As I just finished explaining Canelo bringing in more revenue/popular is a matter of perspective. If he's so big and popular then let Canelo go fight Spike on PPV and let's see those numbers.
            We might be renaming Ca$hnelo "Mr 97k the 2nd" after that one!

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
              How many did Canelo do with Khan? Kirkland went basic cable route. Liam Smith? Let's not act like he can just put up huge numbers on his own. There's a reason why he needed Cotto, Chavez Jr and Golovkin. He can't do numbers against just anyone. It takes two. I don't discuss money, you can go through my history I hate talking about purses or A-Side/B-Side bull****. I will make an exception and say he's worth whatever he feels he's worth. As I just finished explaining Canelo bringing in more revenue/popular is a matter of perspective. If he's so big and popular then let Canelo go fight Spike on PPV and let's see those numbers.
              Canelo's lowest PPV did a lot better than GGG's highest PPV.

Canelo is clearly bigger and brings in more revenue. That is 100% correct, and is why GGG only got a 30% split for the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                The only agreed upon contract that GGG and Canelo ever had was the one that Canelo broke by failing a PED test then withdrawing from the May 5th fight.

GGG has every right to ask for a 50/50 split for the new date. He's the champion, he will most likely lose his IBF belt if the rematch happens, and the first fight sold 1.3 million PPVs - which is about 1 million more than Canelo would sell against anybody not named Golovkin or Saunders.

And trust me - Canelo won't fight BJS.
                This... X2

Comment

So anyway, back to the OP...you never said why Golovkin is, or even would want to, avoid a rematch. I believe Canelo was juiced for the first fight, more importantly
                  I believe Golovkin believes that. So if Golovkin did as well as he did against a juiced version, why on earth would Golovkin avoid a Canelo who has been testing for more than 4 months?
                  What is your theory?

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
                    Canelo's lowest PPV did a lot better than GGG's highest PPV.

Canelo is clearly bigger and brings in more revenue. That is 100% correct, and is why GGG only got a 30% split for the first fight.
                    Again, skew the topic to what suits your agenda best. What is the name of the opponent that garnered him his best selling ppv not named Mayweather? There is a reason for that...but yeah of course he's more popular but even with his level of popularity people aren't going to just pay to see him fight someone they consider inferior. So he needs his opponents just as much as they need him. So again how many ppv's did Cotto, Kirkland, Smith, and khan do and how many ppv's were sold when it was him and Golovkin? So he isn't entitled to more...really..considering one of those three names got the lionshare of money and still sold less ppv's....

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                      We might be renaming Ca$hnelo "Mr 97k the 2nd" after that one!
                      Dude these guys are the very same reason I stopped being a Floyd Mayweather fan. They all came rushing to slob on his knob and ate up that B-side bull****. Your ppv sales are only as good as the quality of your opponent when you are the biggest name in the sport. He couldn't get away with fighting Smith nor Kirkland on ppv and that says plenty. Big money events require opposition of that value. If he does fight Spike and it tanks they'll say it's because of the suspension or some other bullshhh. It's also telling just far people will go to defend someone who just pissed dirty not once but twice. It's not about the sport, it's about their personal agendas and fandom.

Comment

Working...
                      X